E3 2022 Cancelled

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 11852

Ars Technica are reporting that E3 2022 Digital Version has been cancelled. There has not been a physical conference since the covid-19 pandemic and E3 had been in a bit of a death spiral for a number of years, with rising costs to attend and exhibit. The organisers had been trying to kickstart interest by opening up more and more space for members of the public, for what was once a trade only show. A bunch of major publishers have pulled out over the years, including Sony.

Europe's biggest gaming show, Gamescom will run again this year, along with the The Paris Game Show and the Tokyo Game Show.

What's amusing from my POV. I now watch less game reveals and less game trailers than I did when E3 was still doing it's conference despite there being far more "events" with game reveals and game trailers than when E3 was still a thing.

Why? I still dedicate the same amount of time to watching game reveals, but since they aren't conveniently grouped together, I just don't have the time to bother with anything except the Geoff Keighley one that happens around the time that E3 used to happen. Oh and the awards show that he puts on at the end of the year.

So, end result. Far more events showcasing games and game reveals, but I watch far fewer game reveals because it's inconvenient now.

I'm sure other people probably like having game reveals spread out over the course of the year and fed in drips here and there, but I honestly can't be bothered.

So, most of the time now, I only know about a new game reveal because some Twitch streamer I happen to be watching at the time happens to mention it.

So, I'm kind of hoping that Geoff Keaghley's event eventually grows to encompass as many game reveals as E3 used to have. I really don't care what it's called or who runs it, but I prefer having just one or maybe two times a year that I can just and watch all of it at once.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
That's sad news. Granted E3 isn't what it used to be but I prefer E3 over dozens of smaller events scattered throughout the year. Even the "Summer Games Fest" hosted by Geoff Keighley that takes place around the same time feels more like a bunch of smaller disjoined shows rather than one event.

Hopefully E3 manages to come back in the future or the Summer Game Fest matures.

------------
I must confess that I've never watched any of The Game Awards events at the end of the year live as I simply don't care for the awards despite it having some good reveals. E3 was one of the few shows that I'd watch live or at least tried to.

What's amusing from my POV. I now watch less game reveals and less game trailers than I did when E3 was still doing it's conference despite there being far more "events" with game reveals and game trailers when E3 was still a thing.

I've not bee able to keep up with E3 week media output for a decade and most of it is identical. 50 gaming channels all reporting the exact same press releases verbatim and all having the exact same stated Q&A with developers over game X. If you follow more than one channel, you see how all stage managed it is and how much repetition there is - yet you somehow miss the smaller, cooler stuff altogether. I'll only watch the big publisher conferences if there is some highly anticipated title - and generally I watch these later - UK timing sometimes being the barrier to watching live.

That's the very opposite of how the industry has developed. Now it's word out early, builds out early, get money ASAP, fix and finish the game afterwards. You really need an Internet filter that excludes any game content for 2 years after its release, and then you'll see material for a new, just completed game you can buy at a discount price! ;)

People REALLY hate e3 for no natural reason. Inventing reasons really. People were so gleeful at this news, which I knew would be the case. What happened to tut tut, what about the peoples jobs lost? We normally get when hoping for video game downfalls?

I dont get it, people like to gather with other people. I always thought videogames needs its mainstream moment ever year, when the traditional news covers them. Noone is seeking to cancel comic con, CES, or whatever. I guess reading what I just wrote, maybe you could say video games are so ubiquitous now they dont need anything. But then again so are comic book movies. Heck, one of my "one of these days" goals was to attend an e3.

Eh. e3 has been half dead for a few years. Some great memories from its heyday will remain. I dont know if Keighley is a proper replacement, for one the replacement needs to take place around early summer to showcase the fall games. Keighley has his summer of games thing but that effort seems disjointed, his main effort is TGA's in December. Gamescom is good in that a lot of people attend, but it leaves Americans without an event and hasnt been the same class for reveals.

OTOH part of me is happy as I would anticipate E3 too much, starting the hype in my mind months out. Only to be really disappointed the past few years (getting old I guess). Even a little bit in it's half baked state lately. So not having that will be good. Whatever ad hoc reveals occur will probably not have too much notice, so I wont be able to overhype them :)

Last edited:
@Rangers. Huh? Nobody here is hating on E3 at all, people are discussing its value and relevance and it's decline with the changes they felt they had to make to make it work financially.

In your post you call it "half dead" and "half baked" and you also said "part of me is happy" about this. :???:

I love E3. It was a great reason for the guys to come over shoot the shit and watch the latest games come up. Unfortunately that’s over.

I was there at E3 2001 as a gaming journalist for the Xbox and GameCube reveals. We had a blast. Hopefully they make a comeback.

Lucky you. Still glad that i was a (young) gamer during the 6th generation. Some are not that fortunate and have experienced >7th or 8th generation and forwards.

E3 was such an amazing event for gamers. I miss those times.
I was enjoying the conferences.
There was also a big charm in E3 back in the 32-Bit and 128-bit days (especially the former) when you were expecting some big reveals or gameplay footage to appear of big titles for the first time.
These days every announcement and gameplay is common, a given, revealed and accessed easily from a website and thus less exciting. There is no anticipation.

These days every announcement and gameplay is common, a given, revealed and accessed easily from a website and thus less exciting. There is no anticipation.

It's worth remembering that the biggest E3 in terms of attendance was 2019 with around 66,100 attendees, which is a a tiny sub-fraction of the people who consume E3's content. This is probably why it became so expensive to both exhibit and attend. I remember listening to an IGN podcast a few years back and they mentioned how expensive it is to have even a small stand there. When the likes of Microsoft, Sony, EA and Bethesda all held their "E3 Conferences" not at E3 itself, but nearby that tells you how cost prohibitive it was.

It was the economics of holding events at E3 that accelerated its demise. Like Thanos, it was inevitable.

It's sad in a way. I remember growing up in the 80s and 90s and E3 was an amazing. It was great back then since you couldn't fit all the news in a single issue you'd have typically two issues with e3 news and then different companies would publish different information in their magazines. Of course times change , now everyone sees something a few moments of it being posted.

I think the biggest mistake for E3 was not extending it into a public show earlier. It the early to mid 2010s they should have had the regular 3 days for just press maybe Mon-Thur but then have it open to regular people Friday- Sun or even monday. That way you can still have press come in and see things but you also generate revenue and get people in. Stuff like pax is still really popular as is comic con. I feel like they missed the boat there since the industry doesn't have aynthing like that.

But I guess more stuff like Geoff John's show will take center stage which seems more digital first

I think the biggest mistake for E3 was not extending it into a public show earlier. It the early to mid 2010s they should have had the regular 3 days for just press maybe Mon-Thur but then have it open to regular people Friday- Sun or even monday.
Even when E3 was a press/industry only event, it was trivial for a "normal" person to get in. My close friend went in 2000 or 2001 with no industry ties. All he did was buy an internet domain, put up a "gaming news coming soon" splash page and bought tickets. Brought me back some cool swag, too. Somewhere I have a demo for Sly Cooper that was given out on the show floor.

I, like many others have stated, will miss the hype that was released full blast around E3, but it's not that that makes me worried. Anyone can release information anytime now. It's the ESA that I'm worried about. They don't always do things I like (see: defense of loot boxes), but having an organization that advocates for the industry is a good thing, especially when it comes to the defense of smaller companies in the space. Trying to combat copyright infringement and the packaging requirements and ratings of the ESRB I think are net positives, and it's my understanding the E3 is the main revenue stream for the ESA. So hopefully they can continue to exist in a way that doesn't affect the good things that they do.

It's sad in a way. I remember growing up in the 80s and 90s and E3 was an amazing. It was great back then since you couldn't fit all the news in a single issue you'd have typically two issues with e3 news and then different companies would publish different information in their magazines. Of course times change , now everyone sees something a few moments of it being posted.

I think the biggest mistake for E3 was not extending it into a public show earlier. It the early to mid 2010s they should have had the regular 3 days for just press maybe Mon-Thur but then have it open to regular people Friday- Sun or even monday. That way you can still have press come in and see things but you also generate revenue and get people in. Stuff like pax is still really popular as is comic con. I feel like they missed the boat there since the industry doesn't have aynthing like that.

But I guess more stuff like Geoff John's show will take center stage which seems more digital first

I think the biggest mistake for ESA was making hosting events at e3 so expensive or unattractive that companies like MS would rent out whole venues in other parts of LA to throw their conferences.

@Rangers. Huh? Nobody here is hating on E3 at all, people are discussing its value and relevance and it's decline with the changes they felt they had to make to make it work financially.

In your post you call it "half dead" and "half baked" and you also said "part of me is happy" about this. :???:

You really didn't notice E3 hatred last few years? I dont believe that.

They accidentally momentarily published some journos names once a couple years ago and people were running around screaming how evil they were for "doxxing" people, like they did it maliciously on purpose. It was just crazy. Same on reset era, just utter joy and a party that e3 is dead to this news. All of the gaming podcasts I heard were also evidence, just hoping so hard for e3 to go under for some yrs now, all these long discussions about how much better things would be for the giant video game corporations without e3. Because giant corporations interests are normally placed first in American discourse lol. I never heard one person on a podcast say they liked e3 or wanted it to continue to exist. Just endless talk about how it was bad.

It's worth remembering that the biggest E3 in terms of attendance was 2019 with around 66,100 attendees, which is a a tiny sub-fraction of the people who consume E3's content. This is probably why it became so expensive to both exhibit and attend. I remember listening to an IGN podcast a few years back and they mentioned how expensive it is to have even a small stand there. When the likes of Microsoft, Sony, EA and Bethesda all held their "E3 Conferences" not at E3 itself, but nearby that tells you how cost prohibitive it was.

It was the economics of holding events at E3 that accelerated its demise. Like Thanos, it was inevitable.

Obvious retort to this is noone forced them to go. Complete non argument.

Back