E3 2022 Cancelled

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
You really didn't notice E3 hatred last few years? I dont believe that.

I guess this depends on where you spend your time. If your surround yourself with toxic people, you'll see toxic comments. Certainly In this thread, you have posted the most negative comments about E3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Obvious retort to this is noone forced them to go. Complete non argument.

I don't understand what you mean by "nobody forced them to go"? It was too expensive. From that story in 2019:

LA Business Journal said:
The ESA declined to share how much booths cost, but in past years [2018 and before] companies reported spending up to $30,000 for a three-day stay in the smallest booth offered. That price increases as companies bring in props, televisions and other accoutrements to catch fans’ attention.

£10,000 a day for one of those tiny booths, with nothing it in. If you want to bring equipment, they would charge for more for the same space. It's seems clear that Microsoft, Sony, EA and Bethesda were driven out due to costs which must run into the millions, if not tens of millions. And you're paying a lot whilst also competing for press attention for a 1,000 other exhibitors.

It's no wonder industry leaders (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft) no longer show up at E3. Sony haven't even done an event in parallel for a few years. I used to be in the aerospace and defence field and I hated events likes this. Being forces to perform on somebody else timetable, really doesn't work in any field. Make products, show them when they are ready to be shown, and preferably when you have a good amount of media attention, i.e. where you meeting some tired journalist who will also be interviewing fifty other people that day.

Since when is MS using their Microsoft Theater for E3?
Microsoft's last attendance at E3 was 2016 when they announced the Xbox One S. In 2017 they were at the Galen Centre, and from 2018 the Microsoft Theatre, which Microsoft owned since 2014 as part of the Nokia acquisition (it was perviously known as the Nokia Theatre).

LA venue trivia brought to you by DSoup. :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the biggest mistake for ESA was making hosting events at e3 so expensive or unattractive that companies like MS would rent out whole venues in other parts of LA to throw their conferences.

Put another way, their biggest mistake was keeping the event in LA. They had no choice but to increase prices as it got increasingly more and more expensive for them to host the event in LA. They could have significantly reduced the cost of the event and thus the cost for participants if they'd moved the show to Las Vegas or some other city outside of CA.

That's the main reason that most industry trade shows avoid LA and CA in general, although some of the more lucrative industries still have trade shows in the state of CA.

Regards,
SB

Even when E3 was a press/industry only event, it was trivial for a "normal" person to get in. My close friend went in 2000 or 2001 with no industry ties. All he did was buy an internet domain, put up a "gaming news coming soon" splash page and bought tickets. Brought me back some cool swag, too. Somewhere I have a demo for Sly Cooper that was given out on the show floor.

I, like many others have stated, will miss the hype that was released full blast around E3, but it's not that that makes me worried. Anyone can release information anytime now. It's the ESA that I'm worried about. They don't always do things I like (see: defense of loot boxes), but having an organization that advocates for the industry is a good thing, especially when it comes to the defense of smaller companies in the space. Trying to combat copyright infringement and the packaging requirements and ratings of the ESRB I think are net positives, and it's my understanding the E3 is the main revenue stream for the ESA. So hopefully they can continue to exist in a way that doesn't affect the good things that they do.
I went to E3 a number of times. I agree with you in a way but I think those people just added to the problem. A longer event with some time opened to the public would have allowed more time for the real press to access games and have meetings.

The ESA is meh , they can come and go and another group will be made in their place

I think the biggest mistake for ESA was making hosting events at e3 so expensive or unattractive that companies like MS would rent out whole venues in other parts of LA to throw their conferences.
That is a part of it. I think that could have been alleviated if there was a public portion where people paid to get in.

That 96 E3 video was cool. I went to E3 from 1996 to 2001. They moved E3 to Atlanta in 97 & 98. I went to both of those. E3 in LA was much better. Yes, it was expensive, lots of traffic & spread out, but Hollywood was right there & the parties were great. I attended the 97 & 98 Sony parties in Atlanta, but the 99 party was on their Sony Picture Studios lot. That was great. I can't see E3 ever coming back to that level. I say give it a rest a few years & bring it back later when it can be a public event.

Tommy McClain

Back