Doom [2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
In both cases you're talking about higher level gameplay and not the actual "30 seconds of fun" level that the Bungie designers have managed to point out. Sure, the old Doom had no vendors and you had to just pick up the new weapons, sometimes by finding secret rooms or reaching well defended areas, but that was not part of the immediate action. It's absolutely possible to keep the fast paced shooting and replace only the higher levels with something else, and Rage was the prime example of that.

Oh and simple rushes never really worked in Doom either, especially at higher difficulty levels and more challenging maps. You had to make the most out of the available resources and the order in which you were able to acquire them, you've had to know the map and where the ammo and powerups were placed and so on.

As a ranter myself, I respect yours, however, lots of people would beg to differ with your conclusion. They would say "the master" is no longer just that when there's literally a hundred or more copycats out there, some of them arguably doing what DOOM did better than DOOM, and with additional features and gameplay to boost. They would say new 2006 DOOM with the same gameplay as 1993 DOOM would be an emperor with no pants - at best. :p

I'm half tempted to agree with them. To me, a good game needs story and lore. If I don't get that then nothing else really matters one bit. DOOM had none of that (other than a single screen of text whenever you cleared an act), but when the game came out it was a unique experience. One of a kind. The storyless mow-down-anything-that-moves gameplay felt stale to me already back when Quake launched, and as a consequence I could never really get into that game. I played through the original, it felt really meh, and I also never looked at the expansions either.

Quake 2 was better, because it had a storyline (albeit a simple one), which you could follow with the mission updates you received throughout the levels. DOOM 3 was better still in my view, with the emails, audio clips and occational NPC you encountered while playing, and so on.

I don't think regressing back to a state before all those things would be at all beneficial to gameplay, so I hope there's a story too included in the game. If there isn't it would be fucking disgraceful, considering how much god damn time and money has been spent making this game.
Doom is like the Mario of FPSs, the original, silly fun and imaginative. It is one of those unique FPSs that don't need a story at all, save from a marine sent to Mars and demons are there. That's the extent of the story.

Demons shouldn't talk much to you, they have their own plots and devices, they are creatures from hell and want to kill you and everyone like you.

A *good* Doom story would involve demons talking and giving hints of their determinations, behind some master or motivation. And Doom certainly wouldn't need that at all to be the most Fun fps ever.

What made Doom a historic and legendary game was the fun, the simple but incredibly well tuned mechanics of going from level to level getting coloured keys and its colourful set of baddies.

In the originals, the style differ from level to level. In some of them you feel like you could use a editor and place thousands of exploding barrels, other levels feel much like a chess game, where you had to carefully take certain steps to reach the exit.

There were levels where you could see enemies, say a Revenant, like floating on platforms but they were behind some kind of magic mirror, they couldn't see you at all despite being behind an "invisible" texture, and you couldn't harm them either. Then, later on, you'd find out why and the purpose of that.

Something got lost in the transition to Doom 3 in that sense -despite the fact I don't dislike the game-, and there weren't hordes of enemies anymore.

Plus, Doom modding community and specially mappers created incredible levels where imagination was key. Military Base on Deimos, and you had to imagine it because the original textures had their limitations, or you had people even building their own university in Doom. :)

These are examples of some of the best Wads created --I have Final Doom on disc for PC and also loved that kind of expansion too:

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/

Last edited:
That´s a very gory type of happy-go-lucky. I remember playing this game as a kid, and admitedly, to me I had more of a Doom 3 vibe than a Doom 2015. It was legitimately scary. I didn´t play like a run and gun, because I was constatly shitting my pants hearing the groans from monsters somewhere I did´t know exacly where.
Yes, Doom was scary, especially the snorts sounding in the background and the deaf silent levels where nothing seemed to happen were the scariest of them all once the action started, you never knew why. As a kid the effect was even more enhanced. But even so, it was scary fun.

But i still like the direction of this one as well. But if I were to make a Doom game that feels old-school Doomey, I´d go much further. I´d really embrace the weirdness and retro-ness and the "I´m an american neardy programer from the 90´s who likes comic books, science fiction and heavy metal who is randomly mashing all this things together into a game" That was the character of the game. It´s been long enough ago for that type of celebration to make sence, and not just feel like being out of fashion, but actually more like understanding the culture and the quirks of a period of time..
Doom feels to me like a Mario Galaxy game, with different levels, imaginative choices and designs, catering all kinds of hardware, from PC to Nintendo 64, without needing a super powerful machine, a game for everybody.

I´d have hybrid synth/instrumental based heavy metal soundtrack, as a modern nod to the originals midi songs. Synths can enhance te feeling of horror and stress in some ways.
The ultimate doom fan told me once on youtube that Doom 64 for Nintendo 64 used MIDI for its sound, the atmospheric sounds, monster sounds, music etc, and the sounds were stored in a soundfont like format.

In fact I downloaded a Doom 64 to PC port that was made that way and it uses a Doom 64 soundfont for the sound.

I Love playing Doom MIDI files these days on my Roland SD-50..

I like the excutions, but they could be more refined. They could craft the animations in a way that they gave you the flexibility to still alow player to move and look around while they go on. Sure they look cool, and you wanna have the player see them in all their glory, but jeez, if the player really wants to stop and watch them play out, they will do that by themselves. In a full 8-12 hours game, you won´t want to re-watch them every single time anyways. Haven´t people still not learned that after half-life one?!
Have weird gamey power ups around levels, have a score board at level ends. Modernize where it makes sence, but don´t shy away from stuff that was legitimately cool. We´ve alredy made tons of cinematic and plausible looking games, we have room for weird arcade games again.
I agree on the executions part, not that I care much about them either. They tried to make it as varied as possible, with moves from every single angle -for instance, when you jump on a monster and thins like that-.

But I´m a sucker for kitch, so, that´s just me, I don´t know how marketable you could make such weird game. It would be hard to make something like this, and still make it no look cheap. I think it is doable, but still, hard.
You are a guru of videogames like me. :)

I´d have the screen flash when you get the collectibles scatered around the levels. I´d mix the high-tech space-station architecture they´ve got going, with some less plausible parts with this minimalist gothic cathedral type buildings with huge concrete walls and wide spaces, again, as a celebration of the original gameplay-centric level design, that didn´t care much about making the places feel like they had any other function beyond being a game level.
That's Doom! And that's why it is the Mario of fps videogames, it was just a design with lots of imagination behind, non connected levels were the players had to squeeze their brains to get out, easy to play -two buttons- hard to master. Good vs evil demons.

And that's what's been forgotten about Doom, and how fps these days are just about super loud screams "Rico, we are surrounded!!! Run!!! Aaaaaaah", "Soldier, get out of there!! Now!!!! Aaaaaaaaah! God!!!!!!!!!", and to me.. well.. I just don't care about your stupid war, you damn Rambo.

The fps that brought me a lot of smiles is Call of Juarez, but that's one of a million.

A very good article from Eurogamer on Doom. They didn't mention the arcade feeling of Doom, the silliness, the jovial game design -get key, open door, find next coloured key and open next coloured door-, but a great article overall on what made Doom so cool.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-06-22-years-on-doom-retains-the-ability-to-shock

One about why Doom stands out:

"The secret is that Doom is not actually about the shooting. Released in the days before crosshairs, location-specific damage, precise aiming or the ability to look up, the shooting is not challenging in and of itself. Instead, Doom centers its obstacles not on shooting, but on movement."

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/12/20-years-of-doom.html

One about why Doom stands out:

"The secret is that Doom is not actually about the shooting. Released in the days before crosshairs, location-specific damage, precise aiming or the ability to look up, the shooting is not challenging in and of itself. Instead, Doom centers its obstacles not on shooting, but on movement."

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/12/20-years-of-doom.html
A quintessential read. The first sentence is also so TRUE;

Doom is the most influential shooter ever, but on the 20th anniversary of its release Patrick Lindsey looks at what today’s shooters haven’t learned from it.

SS was a super hard game with a lot of wacky "humor" with the silly (and generally pretty terrible) voice acting in the game, and a sci-fi/aliens theme rather than demons from hell. To me personally it didn't feel or play much like Doom at all. You had hordes of enemies and big guns and pickups, and that was the end of the similarities.

Hands-on with the new Doom: The detail of Doom 3, the speed of Doom 2.
Slinging rockets and dodging humans-turned-Cyberdemon in a multiplayer demo.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...oom-the-detail-of-doom-3-the-speed-of-doom-2/

"Then I was killed by a cyberdemon."
It both looks and sounds amazing.

These screenshots from Gamersyde are stellar: http://www.gamersyde.com/news_new_screenshots_of_doom-16856_en.html

This game may finally be a return to form and revival of the classic and addictive gameplay from the era of Quake 3 and UT99.

You can see it in the way DOOM 2016 moves in the multiplayer gameplay, it's just brilliantly responsive and fast.

image_doom-29004-3000_0006.jpg

Singleplayer looks exciting too as it seems like it will be throwing more numerous and more varied combinations of enemies at the player....

image_doom-29004-3000_0005.jpg

I wonder how the weapon selection system works on PCs. Same as what was shown in the E3 showcase with the on-screen selection wheel maybe?

How would that feel with mouse control/aiming? Hope it isn't weird or jarring, switching on the fly between aiming, selecting a gun, and then back again to aiming.

For some reason I've never really liked mouse 3 button for weapon select dial. Maybe a key combined with mouse to select as an option

The game looks good, but it seems id tech 6 doesn't use nearly as much dynamic shadows as id tech 4 or Doom3 did. It's something I really miss from D3 especially in those dark spooky ally ways. But hell am I ready for another Doom game!

Ah yes, this is one of those cases where the filter is just piss poor, that green/brown filter almost took away all the beautiful luminosity of the lights and environment.

For some reason I've never really liked mouse 3 button for weapon select dial. Maybe a key combined with mouse to select as an option
Back in those days I remember playing Doom using nothing but the keyboard and it worked great

Well in MY day we used those Atari joysticks that not only had just ONE button, it killed your hand holding it too! [/cantankerous]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back