Does XP have built-in spyware?

NANOTEC

Banned
I've noticed that when I move the cursor to the upper left corner of my desktop the cursor turns into a hand/finger and when I left click on it or mouse over it, it says "Click to activate and use this control".:???:

BTW this only happens when "Show Desktop Icons" is unchecked from the "Arrange Icons By" pulldown menu when left clicking on the desktop. If Show Desktop Icons is checked I cannot get the hand/finger to appear in the corner.

Anyone know what's going on?

XP does contain something which is considered spyware by many, including most anti-spyware programs.

Now I've of course forgotten what it was called, though, but I think it was some woman's name, starting with the letter "A"

edit: it's "Alexa"

Last edited by a moderator:
ANova said:
Run adaware, hijackthis and an anti-virus scanner.

I've run all the major antispyware programs including Spyware Sweeper, Spyware Doctor, Adadware. I've also run Avast and free AVG still same result. Oh and one more thing..I did a little experimenting using a clean install of XP with no service packs and found out that there is a little rectangle in the upper left corner of the desktop that could be selected when you hold down the left mouse button to do a drag select function. Anyone with XP can try this but make sure the "Show Desktop Icons" is not checked. I think this is related to the previous issue. Also make sure the desktop wallpaper is switched to "none":???:

NANOTEC said:
I've run all the major antispyware programs including Spyware Sweeper, Spyware Doctor, Adadware. I've also run Avast and free AVG still same result. Oh and one more thing..I did a little experimenting using a clean install of XP with no service packs and found out that there is a little rectangle in the upper left corner of the desktop that could be selected when you hold down the left mouse button to do a drag select function. Anyone with XP can try this but make sure the "Show Desktop Icons" is not checked. I think this is related to the previous issue. Also make sure the desktop wallpaper is switched to "none":???:

Durr, it's just a text area that you can't input text into.

Why would you think this is a result of spyware? Does it really bother you that much?

Bludd said:
Durr, it's just a text area that you can't input text into.

Why would you think this is a result of spyware? Does it really bother you that much?

Like I said, on my PC when I move the cursor over it it says, "Click to activate and use this control". Did you even read the OP? This has nothing to do with being bothered. It's a concern about spyware. Now can you explain why "Click to activate and use this control" appears?

_xxx_ said:
Tried turning off active desktop?

How do you do that on XP?

NANOTEC said:
Like I said, on my PC when I move the cursor over it it says, "Click to activate and use this control". Did you even read the OP? This has nothing to do with being bothered. It's a concern about spyware. Now can you explain why "Click to activate and use this control" appears?

I can't for the life of me get that message. The only thing I get is something which appears like an HTML textarea.

I think you have some kind of BHO that tries to load into that little HTML area that appears up in the left corner of the desktop when you do what you described in your post.

aaaaa00 said:
That sounds like the new thing MS had to add to IE6 to comply with the Eolas lawsuit.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Rolls_Out_IE6_ActiveX_Change/1141233576

Why it's happening on your desktop? First possibility I'd guess is ActiveDesktop being turned on somehow. Second possibility is probably some sort of adware or spyware on your system.

Hmm...that could be it. Anyway I did another experiement. Installed XP then installed SP2 skipping SP1 which seems to make this problem disappear. I guess installing SP1 right after XP causes the problem.

Back