The HK-2207 (Radeon™ HD 6900 Series Graphics Real-Time Demo)

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
So there´s a new AMD tech demo available on their developer site. Though targetted at 69xx, It seems to run with little to no problems on a 5870 too.

http://developer.amd.com/samples/demos/pages/RadeonHD6900SeriesRealTimeDemos.aspx

The HK-2207 real-time demo features a number of post processing effects (depth-of-field, lens flare, ghosting, aerial perspective/atmospheric, LUT, emissive and reflection) provided as an easy approach for developers and artists to adopt Microsoft® DirectX® 11 programming. This demo also uses a current trend in game engines utilizing deferred lighting and deferred shading allowing many more lights and rapid prototyping. A newly developed GPU accelerated physics particle system is introduced utilizing DX11 DirectCompute. Bullet Physics is used with a new fracture/destruction approach that also features procedurally generated unique debris leveraging DX11 tessellation.

Deferred shading does not permit the use of traditional anti-aliasing. AMD introduced a new Morphological AA based on DirectCompute in the latest Cayman drivers that can only currently be enabled via Catalyst Control Center as described below.

* Morphological Anti-Aliasing is not enabled by
* default.
* To enable this feature and enhance the
* appearance of this demo, follow the instructions
* below.

Step 1. Open the ATI Catalyst(TM) Control Center and

Either: Right-click on an open area of the desktop, and select Catalyst Control Center from the pop-up menu;

Or: Click Start > Control Panel > Display >
Change Display Settings > Advanced; Choose the Catalyst Control Center tab, and select the ATI Catalyst Control Center button.

Step 2. In the upper-left corner select
Graphics > 3D > AA.

Step 3. Check the "Morphological filtering" checkbox

Step 4. Click the "OK" button.

Currently supported hot keys:

F1: displays the available hot keys

8 : Aerial perspective/atmospheric
M : Audio
1 : Bullet Physics debug
2 : Bullet physics collision
C : Camera toggles unlocking from fixed camera path. Move with left mouse button pressed, zoom with mouse wheel
D : Depth-of-field
E : Emissive
Esc : Exit
G : Ghosting
F : Lens flare
K : LUT
L : Lights
, : (comma) cycle through various LUTs when LUT is enabled
P : Pause
9 : Reflection
] : jump forward to next shot
[ : jump backward to previous shot
R : Restart
T : Switch render target forward (color, normal, ambient occlusion, emissive, standard)
Y : Switch render target backward
W : Wireframe

„Deferred shading does not permit the use of traditional anti-aliasing.”

I thought that was a limitation of DX9 and/or DX9 cards and at the latest with DX11 anti-aliasing would be fully orthogonal. Hm...

Why would it require a 6900 series as opposed to any of their DX11 cards? And I didn't think MLAA was exposed in default downloaded drivers yet?

„Deferred shading does not permit the use of traditional anti-aliasing.”

I thought that was a limitation of DX9 and/or DX9 cards and at the latest with DX11 anti-aliasing would be fully orthogonal. Hm...

Indeed. With deferred rendering you can no longer just activate MSAA and have it "just work", you have to use features provided in D3D10/D3D11 to specifically author your shaders so that MSAA works without artifacts. It's obviously more of a pain in the ass to do it that way and you'll always have more of a performance hit for enabling MSAA, but it's totally doable.

Works on the GTX460. I must say that the demo is really not up to par with others out there. 3Dmark 11 is about 100x more impressive.

Just goes to show its not about technology anymore, its all about art now. Or as in this case, lack thereof.

Maybe Terry's aka CatalystMaker's new job is going to feature making better tech demos? :LOL:

Did some benchmarking here

YouTube - AMD HK2207 TECH DEMO BENCHMARK DX11 1920X1080 GTX 570 @850MHz CORE i7-860 @4.0GHz

YouTube - AMD HK2207 TECH DEMO BENCHMARK 1920X1080 ATI 5850 @1GHz Q9550 @4.0GHz.MP4

YouTube - AMD HK2207 TECH DEMO BENCHMARK 1920X1080 CROSSFIRE 2X ATI 5850 @1GHz Q9550 @4.0GHz

GTX 570@850mhz 42.3 fps

5850@1Ghz 43.1 fps

5850 CFX @ 1GHz 75.44 fps

Different systems yes, so the comparison is not 100% accurate, but still equal gpu usage on the single card systems. The crossfire system could have done better. Maybe.

I think the demo itself was not too bad really. I mean, was Nvidia's Endless City any better? Ok maybe a little bit due to the immense amount of tesselation, but artisticly nothing impressive either. TheY should both hire ASD to make some demos for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did some benchmarking here

YouTube - AMD HK2207 TECH DEMO BENCHMARK DX11 1920X1080 GTX 570 @850MHz CORE i7-860 @4.0GHz

YouTube - AMD HK2207 TECH DEMO BENCHMARK 1920X1080 ATI 5850 @1GHz Q9550 @4.0GHz.MP4

YouTube - AMD HK2207 TECH DEMO BENCHMARK 1920X1080 CROSSFIRE 2X ATI 5850 @1GHz Q9550 @4.0GHz

GTX 570@850mhz 42.3 fps

5850@1Ghz 43.1 fps

5850 CFX @ 1GHz 75.44 fps

Different systems yes, so the comparison is not 100% accurate, but still equal gpu usage on the single card systems. The crossfire system could have done better. Maybe.

I think the demo itself was not too bad really. I mean, was Nvidia's Endless City any better? Ok maybe a little bit due to the immense amount of tesselation, but artisticly nothing impressive either. TheY should both hire ASD to make some demos for them.

Hell YES!

BTW HD6970 stock + Phenom X6 4GHz = 50.5FPS
HD6970 950/1475 +20% + Phenom X6 4GHz = 52.8FPS

While they´re at it, why not make Fairlight and Carillon & Cyberiad their corporate bitches too.

Yes I can see they need talent but let´s not go that way, mkay :)

Whats wrong, looks every bit as "decent" as starcraft2 to my eyes :LOL:

...and thats the game of the decade , according to some graphics company.

Well, it could be worse, but not much.
If they wanted to demo their fracture code they could have chosen something that would make it look good, like the old good 'drop the wine glass on marble plane' demo.
That .. thing, made it look like a random cunks shooting trough explosions.

Back