Do you think there will be a mid gen refresh console from Sony and Microsoft?

PS: For those who missed it, PS5 PRo GPU is an RDNA3.5 7800xt with Upgraded RT; around double the speed of the current PS5 (remember to count IPC improvements) without counting the RT upgrades or any clock increase, good enough for the target audience I'm sure.

Those who 'missed'...what? There have been multiple rumours which this thread has covered as they gained traction, from 320bit bus/Zen4/20GBs of vram configurations to Zen2/~7700xt perf with RT optimizations from RDNA4, it's run the gamut.

I mean if you want to discuss what you're specifically referring to, this is indeed the place - you can you even copy and paste links n stuff!

Those who 'missed'...what? There have been multiple rumours which this thread has covered as they gained traction, from 320bit bus/Zen4/20GBs of vram configurations to Zen2/~7700xt perf with RT optimizations from RDNA4, it's run the gamut.

I mean if you want to discuss what you're specifically referring to, this is indeed the place - you can you even copy and paste links n stuff!
It bothers me to no end how people talk about rumors as if they are gospel. I see it less on here, but absolutely relentlessly elsewhere. It's why I have such disdain for people like MLID and RGT who poison interesting conversation online with their complete BS.

PS: For those who missed it, PS5 PRo GPU is an RDNA3.5 7800xt with Upgraded RT; around double the speed of the current PS5 (remember to count IPC improvements) without counting the RT upgrades or any clock increase, good enough for the target audience I'm sure.
This card will be about 1 year old when PS5 Pro is supposedly releasing. Whatever PS5 Pro is, it won't be a one year old card.

This card will be about 1 year old when PS5 Pro is supposedly releasing. Whatever PS5 Pro is, it won't be a one year old card.
It may not be an exact silicon match for an existing GPU but it will likely be an iteration of current technology with some minor tweaks.

AMD RDNA 3.5’s LLVM Changes
AMD’s introduction of new features in RDNA 3.5 shows the company is willing to test new features in niche products before a more widespread release. Just as PS5 introduced raytracing support before RDNA 2 launched, RDNA 3.5 debuts ISA features that show up in RDNA 4.
I am predicting PS5 Pro will be RDNA4 the same way PS5 is RDNA2.

Reactions: snc
I am predicting PS5 Pro will be RDNA4 the same way PS5 is RDNA2.
TBH timelinewise there was no reason for PS5 chip to be almost RDNA2, it must have been a deliberate choice by Sone since we know full fat RDNA2 was ready for same timeframe launch

TBH timelinewise there was no reason for PS5 chip to be almost RDNA2, it must have been a deliberate choice by Sone since we know full fat RDNA2 was ready for same timeframe launch

Sony had silicone out to developers quite a bit earlier, had feature complete silicone out sooner, and would have had more time for revisions to increase yields and clocks off they thought this was necessary (MS had to deal with below expectation yields and I think their GPU clocks might have slipped too).

Sony got the most important RDNA 2 feature while clearly being a branch from somewhere between RDNA 1 and 2. I think this was the right call for Sony: missing VRS, SF and some mesh shader feature hasn't hurt them and they now dominate to the extent it never will.

If they do, how much of a clock speed increase is possible for Xbox Series X? As far as I know, there is a reserve in the hardware for this.

Looks lile ps5 pro will have 32 teraflops and 300 tops of ai.. o thinl ps5 pro will have 6800xt pr 6900xtx performance plus sony's dlss.. of Microsoft has nothing else its over for them

AI?

Games were touted to have AI years ago, you know, smarter NPCs and all that?

What are they going to do, have games generate some ChatGPT-like gaslighting as narration to distract you?

Back