Do you think there will be a mid gen refresh console from Sony and Microsoft?

Now that we have 7800xt and 7700xt price, power and performance information, I really struggle to see a viable PS5 pro scenario.

In SOC , downclocked a little , `embedded on 12volt only mobo it might be different story. Just look at power consumption of comparable part in current models.

In SOC , downclocked a little , `embedded on 12volt only mobo it might be different story. Just look at power consumption of comparable part in current models.
That puts you well under 2x the performance of a PS5 though. The GPU portion of the SOC probably uses at most between 160-170 of the 200 watts a PS5 draws. That means you need to shave 100 watts off of the 7800xt. That's going to be some heavy down clocking.

That puts you well under 2x the performance of a PS5 though. The GPU portion of the SOC probably uses at most between 160-170 of the 200 watts a PS5 draws. That means you need to shave 100 watts off of the 7800xt. That's going to be some heavy down clocking.
Fair enough, but lets not forget impressive results usually achieved by undervolting on AMD PC GPU. In the end its entirely possible that high end console gamers will accept another 50watt higher power consumption.

Fair enough, but lets not forget impressive results usually achieved by undervolting on AMD PC GPU. In the end its entirely possible that high end console gamers will accept another 50watt higher power consumption.
We don't know to what extent these undervolts are stable across entire wafers of GPUs though. AMD is setting these voltages for a reason.

How heavy precisely, given power draw is exponential with clock speed? Any underclocking benchmarks out there?

PS5 Pro won't be based on a 2023 card, why should it be? It will likely be based on a 2024 card, the 8700XT that is rumored to have the same base architecture as PS5 Pro (RDNA3.5) and at 4nm. I think it should be just enough to hit 2x more raster power than PS5. APU could also be smaller than launch PS5 APU.

How heavy precisely, given power draw is exponential with clock speed? Any underclocking benchmarks out there?
Not 7800XT specifically, but this chart for a 4090 probably gives a decent account of how a desktop GPU tends to scale with power and performance:

4090-Perf-PT.JPG.0a1aad9cad926bb3d78f3911a8e20ac4.JPG

Obviously the 4090 comes with quite a high power target to begin with, but I'd also say the 7800XT's 263w is very high for a midrange part as well. Even the OG GTX Titan was only 250w.

I reckon that most of today's GPU's that are being pushed hard on power draw would probably find 50% or so power target to be the efficiency sweetspot. So yea, I wouldn't be surprised if the 7800XT at only 130w or so could still perform with only a 15-20% performance hit.

So the new 'slim' PS5 was released, and the PS5 Digital basically got a $50 price hike, from $399 to $449. Also vertical stand is no longer included.

Who knows, but I'm become increasing skeptical of those rumours that the Pro will be slotting in at the same $499 price if they're effectively hiking the PS5's price 3 years after launch.

(Also this is particularly egregious coming right after large PS+ price hikes)

Last edited:
So the new 'slim' PS5 was released, and the PS5 Digital basically got a $50 price hike, from $399 to $449. Also vertical stand is no longer included.

Who knows, but I'm become increasing skeptical of those rumours that the Pro will be slotting in at the same $499 price if they're effectively hiking the PS5's price 3 years after launch.
This is my line of thinking as well. Price doesn't seam to be a deterrent for Playstation sales, and it the market has forced them to raise the price on standard PS5's, why and how would they release a Pro for the same price.

I'm also curious how they have 1TB of storage. Cerny remarked in Road to PS5 that 825GB was the "most natural size" of the SSD because of the 12 channel interface. Have they moved to just using gen 4 NVME drives now? Added more channels? Or increased the size of some of the memory chips (but not all) to achieve such an unnatural number.

How reliable is the PS5 Pro rumour? It's not a very Jim Ryan thing to do and he would have been involved in the decision. Why does Sony even think they need a Pro? Seems like a waste of money to me.

How reliable is the PS5 Pro rumour? It's not a very Jim Ryan thing to do and he would have been involved in the decision. Why does Sony even think they need a Pro? Seems like a waste of money to me.

I think it's quite reliable, repeated by too many sources at this point. I think UE5 has made the usefulness of a Pro evident, whether they 'need' it of course is another question considering the PS5 is still sometimes difficult to get without a bundle. Nobody seems to be jumping the Sony ship.

I think ultimately Sony are just looking at how long it will take with the current cost of modern process technology to bring the PS6 to market, and figuring that the PS5 Pro - even if it's sold at a premium - is worth it. I mean consoles before the PS4 Pro were somewhat anachronistic wrt other consumer electronics, which often have a wide range of performance and price tiers. The software stack is likely abstracted enough where they're not strictly welded to the hardware configuration for the sake of compatibility anymore, I think that was the big barrier before.

As for Ryan's hand in this, I dunno - the PS4 Pro was certainly a success, muted perhaps compared to the entire installed base of PS4, but it certainly sold well enough to warrant the R&D. He can't have failed to notice that.

Last edited:

And in my region, the games also got price hike due to Sony thinking Indonesia is richer than US or something...

Btw the PS5 slim price hike is only for US or for all regions?

UK
Full: £449.99 > £479.99 > £479.99
Digi: £359.99 > £389.99 > £389.99

EU
Full: €499.99 > €549.99 > €549.99
Digi: €399.99 > €449.99 > €449.99

Japan (untaxed)
Full: ¥55,478 yen > ¥60,478 yen > ¥60,478
Digi: ¥44,478 > ¥49,478 > ¥54,527

US
Full: $499.99 > $499.99 > $499.99
Digi: $399.99 > $399.99 > $449.99

Apart from Japan, there are no additional price hikes. US is getting its first - price remains the same elsewhere. Digital hike in Japan is odd and sucks for the Japanese.

Before projecting PRO pricing from this, lets see if this pricing will hold after holidays. last year they raised priced only to make firesale few months later. Maybe its just attempt to cashgrab early adopter, especially being only new hardware this holiday. If prices will stick then imo they can kiss goodbye their 25+million/year projections and best selling PlayStation ever /expanding market PR.

BTW Power consumption not mentioned in PR, wonder if its 5nm then or just another oversight like this ridiculous "included " flap-stand.

Back