Do you think there will be a mid gen refresh console from Sony and Microsoft?

I think this is the original source for the 6nm shrink. It was widely reported almost a year ago and generally accepted afaik. I haven't really seen anyone question the validity of it before you.
https://www.angstronomics.com/p/ps5-refresh-oberon-plus
Ah thank you.

I was thinking it was just tweets from the regular players and not an actual article like this. I was looking for a die change and the article covers it.

would be funny if the damn thing would come out THIS Fall and every Leaker is caught by suprise. Technicaly possible i guess.
Btw.. did not PS4s Slim edition come out around PS4 Pro and shared the new design language ? Like the rounded Edges instead of the sharp one from vanilla PS4...

The N6 shrink and a hypothetic N5 (or newer) shrink is rather different in scope. N6 is really a TSMC 7nm iteration and is specifically advertised for being cost efficient and relatively easy to port designs over. This is not going to be the case in terms of moving to N5 and lower, that's going to likely involve a much more difficult cost/benefit analysis.

did not PS4s Slim edition come out around PS4 Pro and shared the new design language ? Like the rounded Edges instead of the sharp one from vanilla PS4...
I'm pretty sure the Slim was announced along with the Pro in late summer of their launch year, but the slim launched almost immediately. Like a week or two after the event, but the Pro was a holiday release; November or December.

That's it, there are no mid-generation hardware updates from MS. Phil Spencer said at Gamescom.

I am extremely happy about this. :)

That's it, there are no mid-generation hardware updates from MS. Phil Spencer said at Gamescom.

I am extremely happy about this. :)

I wonder when we will see revisions to the series s/x I would imagine they would move to 5nm over the next year or so. I also wonder if they are going to stick to 2028 or just move to a new generation earlier

I wonder when we will see revisions to the series s/x I would imagine they would move to 5nm over the next year or so. I also wonder if they are going to stick to 2028 or just move to a new generation earlier
Move to 5nm, And a clock boost, maybe 10-15%

maybe but I dunno.

This is making me more hopeful for a next gen console sooner rather than later. Perhaps they are realizing the limitations of zen2/rdna 2
I think the current consoles are still underutilized technically. Until we see what UE5 games can do in the second round, we've barely seen anything.

Mesh Shaders, SFS, Directstorage. If this generation really lasts this long, it means it will be time to switch to modern graphics engines and make good use of them technically.

I guess this means there's a decent chance MS is working on a mid-gen upgrade
nah, Like I have said before its better to start a new generation with zen 6/rdna4 and new ram types than to just enhance the current consoles. They could also pull an xbox 360 and catch sony with its pants down. Ps5 pro in 2024 could make it difficult to sell a ps6 in 2025/2026. If the pro is more of a ps4 pro type upgrade it could be a very good move on MS's part to move more consoles.

I guess this means there's a decent chance MS is working on a mid-gen upgrade
There is zero chance - MS is not in the console business anymore.
They are failing harder than during PS4/ Xbone One Era.
They will probably not even release a new Xbox to compete with PS6...
Or - they make it dependend on the merger deal. If that goes through and they can therefore steal CoD from Playstation and having it on their new plattform then yes they might follow up with a console.
If the merger is stopped then so will be their new xbox.

There is zero chance - MS is not in the console business anymore.
They are failing harder than during PS4/ Xbone One Era.
They are selling more consoles than in any previous generation. They also clearly expected to be outsold by Sony by roughly the amount they are going by their manufacturing output, which means they knew what their relative demand would be. It'd be different if Xbox's were simply gathering dust on store shelves but they're not.

Xbox is certainly still in the console business. What a ridiculous take. I'm not saying this to argue they'll build a Pro model, it's certainly sounding like they dont have one planned, but there's no indication they're trying to exit the console market, either.

nah, Like I have said before its better to start a new generation with zen 6/rdna4 and new ram types than to just enhance the current consoles. They could also pull an xbox 360 and catch sony with its pants down. Ps5 pro in 2024 could make it difficult to sell a ps6 in 2025/2026. If the pro is more of a ps4 pro type upgrade it could be a very good move on MS's part to move more consoles.
Anybody who jumps very early trying to release a 'new gen' system will get punished heavily for it. It would also represent an incredibly underwhelming leap from this generation and set a frustratingly low bar for next-gen. Nobody would be happy with this. Microsoft also seem like the last company to do this right now, given how heavily they have leaned into cross-gen releases.

This generation needs to last longer. At least until like 2028. You guys acting like developers are already tapping out what the XSX/PS5 can do are being silly. There's a lot of life left here. We're just getting started.

And we have no reason to think it should be dramatically different than with PS4 Pro. PS4 Pro was really well designed from the start, hardware + SDK. All PS4 games could very easily be upresed (with or without CBR helpled by notably the ID Buffer and a few others new hardware tech) and run about the same as on PS4 Pro. We even got a few bonuses in some cases (better framerate, up to 60fps, better settings). In the case of reconstruction Sony had included a few examples in their SDK with performance comparisons / optimizations hints of how to use CBR / reconstruction in different ways (including temporal injection used by Insomniac).

For PS5 Pro Mark Cerny will think about the same issues developers could face and he will make it easy for them to do PS5 Pro version of their games, whatever the new tech (both hardware and software) he as planned for that console.

I honestly don't think the game industry can cope with rapidly changing install bases these days. Games take to long to make. I mean there are still games coming out for PS4/Xbox One.

I don't think they want a million different target specs either.

There's been a really slow start with this gen and that makes me skeptical you could move to another generation anytime soon. They need to continue letting the install base grow and game engines mature for this gen and then selling into that.

Back