Do you think there will be a mid gen refresh console from Sony and Microsoft?

I'm not sure people would go for a $699 PS5 Pro.
Dumb people like me (snc too?), with more spare cash than braincells definitely will. I just want the latest greatest, does not even need to be better.

In the end on 2024 base ps5 should get price decrease and they can have two variants like now microsoft has with xss and xsx.
Interesting idea

What does the PS5 enthusiast get for their $600 making it worth it?
The latest and greatest.... if you said a PS5 owner, then I would agree it probably wont be worth it?

Maybe an NFT???

Not sure how this is any different than ps4pro. Sony doesnt want to players drift towards pc and still want to make money on realising games on this platform so they wont go back to keeping exclusives on playstation forever but instead will refresh hw midgen in console cycle. In the end on 2024 base ps5 should get price decrease and they can have two variants like now microsoft has with xss and xsx. Also not true nobody wants it, at least I want and will buy it day 1 ;d
People buying a PS5 right now don't give a crap about PC. As Sony is now releasing games on PC so the decision will already have been made for them. And there are plenty of people who have said this directly. Same with Xbox. Its just that Sony has much more of the core gaming market who will buy playstation than ms

In the other thread people are discussing some minor issues with RE4 remake assets and comments are that those issues probably stop when crossgen support will be dropped. So next gen games will look better when we finally move in full to next gen. So why do we need refresh then if the next gen didnt fully started yet? And I still don’t see the point what will we get with refresh? Extra CUs and more storage? Is this the selling point ? Slightly more stable fps and 20% resolution boosts? Or slightly better performance in RT?

Those are average consumers they can’t even tell if RT is on.
Or maybe those crossgen titles are getting too demanding for nextgens?

What would get me to buy a Pro model would be the ability to take current games’ performance modes to full 4K/60 with all the knobs of the fidelity modes turned on. That’s pro enough for me and likely doable.

And as more non-crossgen games come out, we’re going to start seeing more and more ~30 fps games.

I'm not sure whether or not this will happen but I feel there is more opportunity for a refresh than compared to the more conventional "brute force" more hardware approach of last gen. You wouldn't need to actually significantly increase raw FLOPs to result in a device with a much better real experience. How?

The first would be to sell the devices based upon both frame generation and upscaling. People can argue the semantics and "fakeness" all they want but I would be willing to bet if you blind tested a hypothetical upscaled 4k/120 frame generated vs <4k/60 "native" of the same game the results would greatly favor the former. Especially if on the console the entire software to hardware stack will likely have better integration and developer support compared to what we see on the PC to address things like input latency and visual glitches (eg. UI masking). So while the last gen refreshes were basically for 4k displays, this gens could be for 120 hz displays.

The other aspect is one of the benefits of ray tracing is the relative scalability of effects once implemented. Depending on where AMD, or with colloboration, they go with RT there is a lot of room for improvement here versus just "conventional" performance.

As an aside the interesting thing with inflation is that DRAM and NAND prices have actually deflated considerably in contrast to the broader market. With Sony specifically there is an interesting improvement they can do is simply adding more storage as because they storage upgrade is effectively open there isn't the cannibalization of high margin storage addons.

Last edited:
In the other thread people are discussing some minor issues with RE4 remake assets and comments are that those issues probably stop when crossgen support will be dropped. So next gen games will look better when we finally move in full to next gen. So why do we need refresh then if the next gen didnt fully started yet? And I still don’t see the point what will we get with refresh? Extra CUs and more storage? Is this the selling point ? Slightly more stable fps and 20% resolution boosts? Or slightly better performance in RT?

Those are average consumers they can’t even tell if RT is on.
Or maybe those crossgen titles are getting too demanding for nextgens?

Let's say you did a blind test of the PS4 Pro vs PS4 from last gen, my guess is the reaction would be likewise muted. Just the random first search result I found -

So a huge "wow" difference doesn't really seem to be the requirement for a refresh console.

So a huge "wow" difference doesn't really seem to be the requirement for a refresh console.
Sometimes it's not about what you see, but what you don't see. Generally you would expect to see fewer imperfections on a more powerful piece of hardware. Not always of course, there was the odd game which launched which less consistent frame pacing on PS4 Pro than PS4.

Certainly for us, at the distance we game from our TV, the increased resolution targets (1440p targets over 1080p) of most PS4 Pro games made it a good purchase.

Let's say you did a blind test of the PS4 Pro vs PS4 from last gen, my guess is the reaction would be likewise muted. Just the random first search result I found -

Does the regular PS4 support HDR? If not I suspect that would be the most easily noticeable difference by a random consumer.

I am still very confused about this refresh anyway. In my opinion it dosent look good from consumer perspective, there are very few truly next gen games we can hardly say we reach some sort of hardware limits where majority of games are cross gen titles. What message does it send? Next gen finished before it even started. We already need performance upgrade where next gen games we can count on one hand fingers.
That will be the most depressing console generation so far.

What would get me to buy a Pro model would be the ability to take current games’ performance modes to full 4K/60 with all the knobs of the fidelity modes turned on. That’s pro enough for me and likely doable.

And as more non-crossgen games come out, we’re going to start seeing more and more ~30 fps games.
That's really not doable, at least not without like an $800+(still subsidized mind you) pricetag. And your third sentence is the big reason why. The increase in capabilities will need to be seriously extensive to go from reconstructed 4k/30fps to native 4k/60fps with full ray tracing and max settings everywhere else.

What you want is a gaming PC. And even then, you're gonna need something seriously good to keep up with where demands will be heading as developers really start to maximize what the PS5/XSX can do, along with all the bonus PC options on top of that.

While we don't have many true next-gen games it's also worth remembering PS5 and XSX are offering the level of GPU raster performance PC was offering 5 years ago and RT performance of a PC GPU that released 4.5yrs ago.

So they're already massively outgunned in terms of raw performance so how will they even handle next gen games?

Are they going to be 1080p machines?

While we don't have many true next-gen games it's also worth remembering PS5 and XSX are offering the level of GPU raster performance PC was offering 5 years ago and RT performance of a PC GPU that released 4.5yrs ago.

So they're already massively outgunned in terms of raw performance so how will they even handle next gen games?

Are they going to be 1080p machines?
Consoles determine what is next gen, not PC. They will handle next gen games by definition.

Developers will always get a lot more out of the consoles than people will expect. It happened with the more underwhelming specs of last gen devices, and they'll certainly do so again with these more respectably equipped machines. When you raise that minimum bar up with seven years of technological progress, a whole lot more becomes possible.

And yes, there will be plenty of games using base resolutions near 1080p reconstructed, I'm sure. That additional GPU overhead will be very useful, and with TV's in living rooms and all that(as most people use consoles), some bit of softness and whatnot compared to native 4k is usually hardly noticeable.

Back