Dirk Meyer leaves AMD... with immediate effect

MEED said:
Ibrahim Ajami, chief executive of Abu Dhabi government-owned Advanced Technology Investment Co has unveiled plans to raise the firm's stake in Global Foundries to 70% soon, as part of its plans to take over the entire AMD stake in the chip maker, Reuters has reported. 'ATIC's stake now is 68%. It will go up to 70% in two to three months,' Ajami told the news service, adding that ATIC plans to buy the rest stake through a capital call process over a period of three to four years. 'The intent is to make sure that Global Foundries is well capitalised and AMD is a buyable player,' he said.

http://www.meed.com/sectors/telecom...is-atic-to-raise-stake-in-amd/3012070.article

It is two to three months and is AMD a "buyable" player yet?

Just saw this headline:

Abu Dhabi releases tender for $6bn-plus microchip plant

That's from this weeks edition of that paper (no subscription sorry).
So ATIC is expanding in the Middle East and maybe someone disagreed? Just a wild guess.... possibly completely unrelated as GloFlo is not Meyer's territory for a start.

I think Mubadala and ATIC are separate entities though their backing might come from the same place.

The main trick is that its a APU. When it will use GPU with CPU together it could be a lot faster than SB on same clocks.
It will use GPU+CPU for what?
For video decoding? SB has it.
For video encoding? AMD pr'ed gpu-accelerated encoding years ago, yet it is still broken and cpu-limited.
GPGPU? Where is the killer app? Cracking rar/pdf passwords perhaps :rolleyes:
Fully APU-accelerated flash (think farmville!!!) would be great for marketing :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it is being reported that Meyer was fired for not pursuing the tablet and smartphone market. Silly decision really, Intel with all of their process advantages and amazing engineering can barely make a chipset/SoC that's good for the market. I very much doubt AMD could do better than Intel in that market and the board are being very short sighted.

AMD need to shore up their market position in their core markets before they even attempt to go for tablets and smartphones. Oak Trail has barely any design wins and I can count the number of devices using Intel's platform on one hand. For the board to think AMD can even enter this market using x86 when Intel, with all of the money and muscle, can barely make a scratch is misguided at best and at worst downright negligent.

According to this:

http://www.qualcomm.com/documents/files/linley-report-dual-core-snapdragon.pdf

1.5GHz QSD 8672 consumes 1.4W max while decoding 1080p30 video at 45nm, while the lowest power APU from Intel in the form of Sandy Bridge does 17W at 32nm, and the lowest power Ontario uses 9W at 40nm.

I know it isn't a fair comparison, but that is the point, the market doesn't care and I suppose that's the point...

Well it is being reported that Meyer was fired for not pursuing the tablet and smartphone market. Silly decision really, Intel with all of their process advantages and amazing engineering can barely make a chipset/SoC that's good for the market. I very much doubt AMD could do better than Intel in that market and the board are being very short sighted.

Well, AMD was IMHO in a far better position. They already have a capable UVD/Xilleon, had (before they sold it to qualcomm) a smartphone compatible GPU (ATI's Imageon). So all they would have needed would have been a A8/A9 licence from ARM and/or the bobcat core (which they have now).

So for them both would have been possible; smartphone and tablet SoCs with A8 or A9 and tablet and netbook SoCs with one or two bobcat X86 cores.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imageon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xilleon

AMD need to shore up their market position in their core markets before they even attempt to go for tablets and smartphones.

I agree

Oak Trail has barely any design wins and I can count the number of devices using Intel's platform on one hand. For the board to think AMD can even enter this market using x86 when Intel, with all of the money and muscle, can barely make a scratch is misguided at best and at worst downright negligent.

As already said, ATi had developed the technology already. But unfortunately AMD had to sell it because of financial problems. That's life, and it sucks sometimes.

[edit]
Also, I can understand that former ATi employees (now working for AMD) have a (((GGRRRRR))) feeling every time they see a benchmark of the Adreno GPU or see that the "Broadcom" Xilleon chip helps Intels Atom to compete with AMDs brazos systems..

Last edited by a moderator:
She's the one who pushed the bright idea of killing off ATi. :cry:

God, you are a whiny bitch. It's a NAME. It's not like they bought ATi, fired all the employees, pissed on the hard drives that contained the then latest driver code, and set 'em on fire while dancing and singing "Ding Dong ATi is Dead."

Christ, get over yourself.

Back