Dirk Meyer leaves AMD... with immediate effect

God, you are a whiny bitch. It's a NAME. It's not like they bought ATi, fired all the employees, pissed on the hard drives that contained the then latest driver code, and set 'em on fire while dancing and singing "Ding Dong ATi is Dead."

Christ, get over yourself.

Hey, relax, I'm pretty sure he was kidding!

Well, my fear is that she may not be as technically competent as Dirk Meyer.
Take a look at a blog post she wrote.

http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/The-Next-Bench-Blog/A-Supercomputer-in-Your-Notebook/ba-p/60731

She states that Llano has around 500 Gflops of compute power, which is fine. Then she states that it is 6 times the compute capability of Core i7 2600. That is completely incorrect. At least she should verify her facts before making claims about the competition.

I'm quite saddened by the departure of Dirk from AMD; I just hope this doesn't portend its demise. Despite some of its slip ups, it's always had extremely advanced tech for its bread and butter products, and I think Dirk was all about continuing that trend and maybe branching out when it had a competetive advantage. A safe play for sure, but so very necessary when you're a small fry competing against Intel in such a demanding field. Also, any move toward mobile has to be slow or you risk your existing revenues trying to address an uncertain market.

I think the tech has always been there, but the major thing I'd change would be to market its consumer goods in a savvier way; make consumers more aware of its price / performance advantages to Intel with some clever and hip ad campaign. "The Future is Fusion" is nice, but I think common folks could care less if AMD fused its CPU and GPU. (Also it's doubly bad that the ad campaign didn't happen to have an actual product to hawk when it began!) They really have to try to grab Intel by the balls and make direct comparisons in price and practical differences in experience. Maybe they could run a series of ads illustrating their price / experience advantages to intel w/ some charismatic and recurring sales-person and cap all the ads off w/ a catchy slogan like: "BAM! AMD." Hell, talk about "blast-processing" for all I care, they need to go for the throat! I'm aware that the kind of exposure this needs to work requires a heap load of money, but I also just think the amount that AMD currently spends on marketing is being put to poor use.

I've always also thought that the boring ass type face used for the AMD logo is a bit stodgy; it could look more dynamic if the three letters were overlapping or maybe given a relief effect and slightly slanted toward the right for a sleeker, faster look that would fit well with its logo (which is supposed to be an upward pointing arrow). Intel's logo has just a classier, more premium, and desirable look than AMD's plain caps lock, also-ran treatment of itself. This can affect the desirability of your laptops when they're all in a row at Best Buy and have relatively few distinguishing features to the untrained eye except for the stickers.

Believe me, I care about the tech more than fluff, but marketing is necessary for survival. It's better that AMD gussies itself up a little more than to have it die and neither produce its great products to keep up the pace of innovation nor keep Intel's prices at bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back