DirectX 12: The future of it within the console gaming space (specifically the XB1)

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Shortbread, Mar 7, 2014.

1. MJP

MJP
    Regular

I'd say that it's extremely likely.

2. MJP

MJP
    Regular

Yeah, that's the basic idea. You would split your rendering into "batches" of things that need to be submitted contiguously, and each batch would use its own deferred context on a separate thread. Then at the very end you would submit your deferred contexts on the immediate context in whatever order you want them drawn.

3. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Fingers crossed, hopefully we'll get a lot more detail in 3 days.

4. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

thanks MJP!

It does seem extremely likely then that DX12 will improve on this - with both mobile and X1 being advertised on the page. The technique should assist CPUs with low frequency and lots of available cores (mobile, tablet, and the consoles), and to a degree AMD CPUs which have been generally weaker in single threaded performance vs Intel.

At worse, even for high end PC enthusiasts, if implemented well, it should smooth out some of the frame dips that can occur in situations where a lot of things are happening. It can bring new life to some aging CPUs and perhaps we no longer need an expensive CPU to move the bottleneck entirely to the GPU.

5. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

Indeed. And I'd like to know a bit more about this one.

I'm not sure how to take this one, but with MS dropping awkward tweets like this one: https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/439673026699751425

And the ties in for Unity and ID@Xbox and this topic of DX12 could be a great generation of indies coming up. I'm backing quite a few Unity based games (Project Eternity, Planescape etc) so definitely it's lending more strength to games like that; It's pretty exciting. I've personally found Unity to be a bit heavy for mobile games, but for this topic on consoles I think it's a fairly fitting engine with some pretty great features for it's price point.

6. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I don't see the relevance. A Ray Tracing talk from a company that provides raytracing hardware makes sense - they want people using the techniques that they're hardware can help accelerate, and which they've spent time researching where perhaps other IHVs haven't. The tweet is about RT in the cloud which has nothing to do with DX or XB1. You could have, for example, a game with backgrounds raytraced and streamed as a video feed into a game.

An RT pipeline in DX12 may be on the cards, but I don't see evidence pointing to that. RT is a constant presence in the realtime graphics world, with discussions every now and then.

7. shredenvain

Regular

I dont see ray tracing being used in gaming for quite some time. I know back when John Carmack was still with Id he mentioned something about idtech 6 using a combo of raytracing and rasterizing but he said the hardware that would be needed to do this hasnt been invented yet.

8. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

Yea I'm definitely looking at it from a game art perspective as opposed to attempting to reach photorealism.

I should amend what I wrote, I didn't mean to imply that ray tracing and cloud was a thing - I was actually thinking the tweet was in response to ray tracing and its possible implementation into Unity Engine.

What got me, and you pointed it out perfectly was that the lecture and also a second GDC lecture from PowerVR both indicated that there was hardware available for real time RT. But like you I don't see any evidence supporting that in this generation or next. It's a big stretch and not one I'm willing to chase when we can wait 3 days and get a definitive answer.

Am definitely excited for Unity though.

9. Dominik D

Regular

Uhm. Imagination already has RT hardware available (Carmack's comment is inaccurate but fun to read regardless).
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...t-on-imaginations-real-time-ray-tracing-card/

So, yeah, no evidence for sure. ;)

But putting my jerkiness aside - I have no idea why you've decided to merge Spencer's comments with the announcement of Imagination's presentation. These seem to be two completely separate things.

10. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

lol right my bad, I'm not sure why I did that. Logic has clearly evaded me lol. It was funny too because I recall reading about the PowerVR presentation, but it was specific to PowerVR commercial so immediately discounted the possibility that it could be in consumer grade hardware for us in the next coming generation. The presentation about RT additions into Unity hinted at hardware that looked readily available soon/now, so that's where I was a little lost.

As for Spencer's comments, eh, I was all over the place there, looking back I should have made a more concise point before I wrote something, I was basically talking out loud there, big mistake, tends to confuse people even myself. The tldr, I thought Spencer's tweet was about the RT work at Unity, and not what they were working on at MS; learning about the RT features demo with Unity @ GDC. Likely that is wrong, but it was what I was thinking out loud at the time, and then writing it out... oh so bad...

2 more days ;-) I'll wait till I read something concrete, you guys have me blushing/embarrassed for not keeping my thoughts in order, rightly so I deserve it.

edit: Let me just reiterate how absolutely and undeniably wrong I was, and how undeniably right you were Dominik ;)
    "The real-time lightmap previews will tap Imagination Technologies’ PowerVR Ray Tracing technology"
    http://venturebeat.com/2014/03/17/u...to-make-thousands-of-3d-games-more-realistic/

#110 iroboto, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
  11. sebbbi

Veteran

Carmack has been mainly discussing ray tracing SVOs (sparse voxel octrees), while PowerVR hardware supposedly ray traces triangles. I don't think the PowerVR hardware could be used to ray trace voxel data structures (as the algorithms would be completely different to ray tracing triangles).

12. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

Would they really be completely different though ?

13. sebbbi

Veteran

Yes, not completely different. You can accelerate both with BVHs, etc, and you can combine them together (use BHV and change precise test algorithm based on the style of geometry the ray is currently passing through). Precise test however (ray-voxel and ray-triangle) is however quite different (but if programmable shader units are used, obviously both can be done using the same hardware).

14. Starx

Regular Newcomer

15. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

Interesting article, I especially like the writer's interpretation:

So I guess the guys are Total Xbox aren't expecting anything amazing to come out of it. I imagine the presentation will be worth a watch though.

16. pjbliverpool

Legend

17. Broken Hope

Regular

Low level API basically.

18. pjbliverpool

Legend

Some of the performance improvements sound fricken awesome!!

19. pjbliverpool

Legend

Sounds like DX12 includes new rendering features and not just performance enhancements....

20. jlippo

Veteran Regular

Of course, there has been nice advancements with each major release.