DirectX 12: The future of it within the console gaming space (specifically the XB1)

Only Ryse comes close to be what you could expect from next gen.

Of course, NBA 2k14, FIFA 14, are 1080p and look amazing, but next gen shouldn't be about bumping the resolution alone, but better sound too.

On a different note, this guy explains in great detail why he thinks Xbox One is DirectX 12 compatible. The console could have a secret sauce.

You're serious right now? Again with 'secret sauce'? A random Xbox fanboy on YouTube? Tell me you aren't serious.

You're serious right now? Again with 'secret sauce'? A random Xbox fanboy on YouTube? Tell me you aren't serious.
No, I was just sharing. Aren't you curious about DirectX 12 and how it relates to Xbox One? Did you start to get and idea of how it will be? I didn't yet.

The guy represents a gaming news channel. Maybe somewhere along the way something got lost, but the console seems to be DirectX 12 compatible, whatever that means, and people are curious about why.

Don't make the mistake of judging a console by the quality of the launch window games. Let's have this discussion again in two years when we have games that are actually using engines designed for next gen hardware instead of ported last gen engines adapted for next gen.

The weird thing is that games like Call of Duty: Ghosts, using an old engine are running basically like on Xbox 360, same resolution and framerate, better quality but just a little better.

Aren't supposed than on a more powerful hardware (8x-10x) would run a lot better than old hardware?

We haven't seen anything truly next gen yet...

Ryse maybe?

No, I was just sharing. Aren't you curious about DirectX 12 and how it relates to Xbox One? Did you start to get and idea of how it will be? I didn't yet.

The guy represents a gaming news channel. Maybe somewhere along the way something got lost, but the console seems to be DirectX 12 compatible, whatever that means, and people are curious about why.

You aren't sharing anything technical of substance. You posted a video from a random xbox fanboy on Youtube trying to twist marketing speak into a narrative. It's literally less than nothing. It definitely doesn't belong in the tech forums.

Saying 'the console seems to be DX12 compatible' isn't a technical analysis. There is literally no information on this other than marketing babble from the same people who tried to convince you Titanfall was doing something special with the 'cloud' other than dedicated servers.

Maybe we'll have some really exciting news on the 20th, but if you think there is some 'special sauce' that will help your chosen favorite console 'win' something, you are just trying to perpetuate a fanboy war here.

Pretty cool pic.
From what I'm understanding (as unfortunately I don't follow Ridge Racer)
Beginning of the console cycle and then following up with the end of the cycle?
That's the idea, yes.

Although, that low-quality JPG isn't necessarily the best comparison in the world. For instance, Ridge Racer 7 is so barren partly because it's pushing 1080p60, whereas 2012's NFS Most Wanted is pushing 1280x704 at 30fps. It's not just an early-gen game, it's an early-gen game with astronomically better framerate and visual clarity than the late-gen game. But you wouldn't know or be able to feel that from the image.

You know Dx12 doesnt have to be either just Dx11 with lower level access like mantel or a completely new api that requires completely new hardware that will unlock massive performance for the Xbox one.
It is highly unlikely that Ms would release a new version of DirectX with the only change being lower level access. It seems some people see this as a possible threat for some reason. Others may see it as a great hope for their favorite new console. You know it could turn out that Dx12 brings lower level access to hardware for the pc as well as new features and more efficeint use of already existing features without necesarily having to have new hardware.

In this session AMDs Dave Oldcorn, Frostbite technical Director Johan Andersson and Oxides Dan Baker will look at how new Direct3D advancements enhance efficiency and enable fully-threaded building of command buffers. They will demonstrate how AMD is using its recent experience in efficient graphics API design and its partnership with Microsoft to provide developers with the infrastructure to render next-generation graphics workloads at full performance. This presentation also discusses the best ways to exploit AMD hardware under heavy load and will invite developers to influence driver and hardware development.
http://schedule.gdconf.com/session-id/828412?cmpid=social19884994

I saw sth similar on XB1 technical interview with Digital Foundry:

Andrew Goossen: To a large extent we inherited a lot of DX11 design. When we went with AMD, that was a baseline requirement. When we started off the project, AMD already had a very nice DX11 design. The API on top, yeah I think we'll see a big benefit. We've been doing a lot of work to remove a lot of the overhead in terms of the implementation and for a console we can go and make it so that when you call a D3D API it writes directly to the command buffer to update the GPU registers right there in that API function without making any other function calls. There's not layers and layers of software. We did a lot of work in that respect.

We also took the opportunity to go and highly customise the command processor on the GPU. Again concentrating on CPU performance... The command processor block's interface is a very key component in making the CPU overhead of graphics quite efficient. We know the AMD architecture pretty well - we had AMD graphics on the Xbox 360 and there were a number of features we used there. We had features like pre-compiled command buffers where developers would go and pre-build a lot of their states at the object level where they would [simply] say, "run this".We implemented it on Xbox 360 and had a whole lot of ideas on how to make that more efficient [and with] a cleaner API, so we took that opportunity with Xbox One and with our customised command processor we've created extensions on top of D3D which fit very nicely into the D3D model and this is something that we'd like to integrate back into mainline 3D on the PC too - this small, very low-level, very efficient object-orientated submission of your draw [and state] commands.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-complete-xbox-one-interview

Are they speaking about two different things or we will see Xbox One's customized command processors in AMD DX12 GPUs in future?

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session-id/828412?cmpid=social19884994

I saw sth similar on XB1 technical interview with Digital Foundry:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-complete-xbox-one-interview

Are they speaking about two different things or we will see Xbox One's customized command processors in AMD DX12 GPUs in future?

I'm likely writing something completely wrong. help ;0

I was under the impression that DX11 brought multi-threaded command buffers and that was the 'big thing' for that release. DX11 was an effective queue system for draw calls for the GPU to process, and so it accepted multi-threaded draw calls and schedule it for the GPU to process creating some efficiencies, but the end result was still serialized. As the GPU still acted as a black box for the API.

So maybe fully threaded implies fully threaded? no need to serialize/queue the end result?

wait nvm, I'm wrong. It reads as an improvement to building command buffers, and not having fully threaded command buffers. So DX12 is building upon the work that was already done with DX11.

Maybe this is the reason for Xbox One logo on the DX12 site:

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session-id/828229

They've also got this one on Tiled Resources: http://schedule.gdconf.com/session-id/828160
I wonder how this will fall in step with the DX12 announce if there are improvements made to this particular feature, as in if they introduced "Tier 3"

Which would be interesting since I'm still waiting to see Tier anything in a AAA game so far. Actually, does anyone even know of any games running hardware Tiled Resources? I've run the planet demo on my PC, I had a bit of tile pop-in on load, but afterwards all was fine. I seem to lose a bit of frames when I rotate in 2 axis instead of 1.

On a different note, this guy explains in great detail why he thinks Xbox One is DirectX 12 compatible. The console could have a secret sauce.

//video//
Internet would be much better w/o videos like this. Before he gets to anything interesting we get golden reasoning like: first Xbox was supposed to be called DirectX Box... which clearly has a lot to do with Xbox One performance in relationship to DX11/12, right? Man, it hurts me when I waste my time on stuff like this. Then quoting DX12 twitter account that is as legitimate as DX13 account I could create in two minutes. And on, and on...

I'm likely writing something completely wrong. help ;0

I was under the impression that DX11 brought multi-threaded command buffers and that was the 'big thing' for that release.
And it was impossible to use. It was poorly designed and it doesn't give you any tangible performance boost if you use it. So nobody did.

And it was impossible to use. It was poorly designed and it doesn't give you any tangible performance boost if you use it. So nobody did.
Yeah... the deferred context support in PC DirectX was a joke. It didn't increase performance at all, because it didn't remove the shared synchronization point. Console developers have been unhappy with PC DirectX because of this.

Yeah... the deferred context support in PC DirectX was a joke. It didn't increase performance at all, because it didn't remove the shared synchronization point. Console developers have been unhappy with PC DirectX because of this.

Would you expect this might be something they fix in DX12?

Depends on the focus and each DX release has one-two major points to deliver (like, say, mobile features and better multitasking in WDDM1.2/DX11.1). If it's mobile then multithreading would not be the bulk of optimizations performed. If it's PC then perhaps. If it's XO then IDK.

Depends on the focus and each DX release has one-two major points to deliver (like, say, mobile features and better multitasking in WDDM1.2/DX11.1). If it's mobile then multithreading would not be the bulk of optimizations performed. If it's PC then perhaps. If it's XO then IDK.

I'm not quite understanding the multithreaded draw calls exactly; if you could assist in a high level version of this. If in my basic render() function I normally have:
background->render();
trees->render();
enemies->render();
explosions->render();
particles->render();
players->render();
gui.render();

Then with DX11 multithreaded, from high level perspective
renderController()->dispatch.immediate(background);
renderController()->dispatch.immediate(trees);
renderController()->dispatch.immediate(enemies);
renderController()->dispatch.secondary(particles);
renderController()->dispatch.secondary(explosions);
renderController()->dispatch.immediate(players);

and basically the renderController is relieving the main thread so that other cores can pick up some of the work load if the number of objects that need to be rendered start to go really high; is this what DX11 multi-threading is attempting to resolve?

Back