Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2016 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this game. I beat it twice and I have the sequel in my list. Any opinions on the sequel? Is it up to the first one?

BTW, I remember hearing something about MDK and nurbs before I played it the first time, so when I did, I was looking for those nurbs and didn't find a thing. :-/ Does anyone remember that?

MDK was one of my favorite games on PC. I wish we had more crazy games like this. Shiny Entertainment was bringing out masterpieces back in the day,

Also anyone remembers this?

Again from Shiny and it was one of the most underrated games.
It had an amazing AI and stealth elements that even today's games would be jealous of. The game offered many ways to take out enemies and progress. It was like playing Metal Gear Solid in a Cyberpunk world, only even crazier. It was very fun especially when you possessed enemies and made them commit suicide in creative ways. Sometimes you could turn NPCs against each other too. Any living being in the game could be possessed even hookers, genetically modified humans and mice. It was marvelous.
Great humor too :D

Last edited:
BTW, I remember hearing something about MDK and nurbs before I played it the first time, so when I did, I was looking for those nurbs and didn't find a thing. :-/ Does anyone remember that?

I believe that was Messiah and not MDK.

I love this game. I beat it twice and I have the sequel in my list. Any opinions on the sequel? Is it up to the first one?

I really liked the sequel. It's a very different beast. Soul-crushingly hard, though. No idea whether I'd have the patience for it in this day and age. I played it on the Dreamcast back then.

Messiah was also being developed for PS1 but it was canned. Perry said that they had a version somewhere. I really wish I could see how that looked on the PS1

Dreamcast controller eh? That would explain why it was so hard

It probably made the shooty bits more difficult. The right face buttons were basically used as an analog stick replacement. I cannot remember whether they were used for aiming or movement, though. Still, the brutal platforming passages would have been challenging no matter the input device.

As high-end as their progressive mesh tech is, the end result in that game was mot the best. Maybe it could work better with a larger poly budget, but it definetly needs smooth morphing to have acceptable quality.

I assume money or tech limitations of the time were a factor?
If course they were.
But the fact it was never touched again by another game tells me it was probably considered a dead end back then.

Daytona USA. One of the best arcades ever made.

p.s. I like how arcade games are in DF Retro too, as a friend of the arcade geek par excellence, some of those games are amongst the best in history.

Brightness / contrast / gamma in the representations of the original model 2 version are way off, and make the game look washed out, perhaps due to the arcade using different brightness / contrast gamma parameters for its ~57 hz monitor.

But otherwise, that's an awesome retro DF, and one of my favourite gaming videos in all the time that has passed since I got old.

Young people disappoint me so often and in so many ways. The 30 hz generation don't deserve rolling starts, and never will.

Brightness / contrast / gamma in the representations of the original model 2 version are way off, and make the game look washed out, perhaps due to the arcade using different brightness / contrast gamma parameters for its ~57 hz monitor.

But otherwise, that's an awesome retro DF, and one of my favourite gaming videos in all the time that has passed since I got old.

Young people disappoint me so often and in so many ways. The 30 hz generation don't deserve rolling starts, and never will.
Part of the issue I think is diminishing improvements each generation at that $399 pricepoint, forcing developers to target 30fps in many games to have that visual jump to incentivize gamers to spend $399 on that new system. Particularly this latest generation when they opted to keep material costs below $399 for the man console box which hurt the cpu in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back