Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would characterize it as the benefits of having a non-sucky CPU. There are PPC cores more capable than Jaguar, and nothing inherent to x86 that Jaguar does much better than Xenon.
Yes, I tried to be clear that I was talking about old in-order PPC cores only. Modern out-of-order PPC/POWER cores are very much comparable to modern x64 cores.

Digital Foundry are estimating 1568x882 resolution from the media available.

DF said:
We'll update should more media becoming available, but we'll go with a ballpark 1568x882 for now. The game gives the impression of a 900p title with post-process anti-aliasing, but the framebuffer appears to be slightly lower than that, representing a 50 per cent boost in overall resolution compared to Ghosts, but only 67 per cent of the pixel density of a full 1080p presentation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Digital Foundry are estimating 1568x882 resolution for Call of Duty Advanced Warfare based on the available media.

DF said:
We'll update should more media becoming available, but we'll go with a ballpark 1568x882 for now. The game gives the impression of a 900p title with post-process anti-aliasing, but the framebuffer appears to be slightly lower than that, representing a 50 per cent boost in overall resolution compared to Ghosts, but only 67 per cent of the pixel density of a full 1080p presentation.

I dont understand this willingness in console land to make resolution the first sacrifice.
When you move from a crt to an lcd the very first thing you learn is you always run at native resolution.

I dont understand this willingness in console land to make resolution the first sacrifice.
When you move from a crt to an lcd the very first thing you learn is you always run at native resolution.
That was true with the first LCDs without decent scalers, but it's no longer the case. LCD and other fixed pixel displays can render arbitrary resolutions in reasonable quality. Remember that CRT was rendering just as blurry images when you scaled a standard def signal up to 28" as an LCD upscaling does. Actually, my TV upscales SD res programmes to produce an image way better than a CRT could.

28", you must be talking exclusively about tv's as no one had 28" pc monitors
in that case the native resolution of a 28" was standard def

That was true with the first LCDs without decent scalers, but it's no longer the case. LCD and other fixed pixel displays can render arbitrary resolutions in reasonable quality. Remember that CRT was rendering just as blurry images when you scaled a standard def signal up to 28" as an LCD upscaling does. Actually, my TV upscales SD res programmes to produce an image way better than a CRT could.

Hmm, when I had a CRT long ago, for my PC, I thought it effectively had no native resolution? And you could run in any resolution it supported in "native" quality?

I was wrong all these years?

By contrast, 720P is fine (within reason) on my 1080 LCD HDTV at a distance, but anything besides native on my PC LCD monitor just looks terrible to me.

Yet we didn't the entire last console generation (7-8 years) and the Republic stood.

I agree it's better to run native of course. But people were able to praise say, The Last of Us graphics mightily at a lowly 720P.

Hmm, when I had a CRT long ago, for my PC, I thought it effectively had no native resolution? And you could run in any resolution it supported in "native" quality?

I was wrong all these years?

By contrast, 720P is fine (within reason) on my 1080 LCD HDTV at a distance, but anything besides native on my PC LCD monitor just looks terrible to me.
A CRT has discrete RGB pixels, certainly horizontally. You can't define an image pixel value between discrete pixels and have it rendered correctly. Potentially, vertical resolution had no fixed resolution on a Trintron style monitor, but very many older monitors used fixed ordered grid or hexagonal/pentile grid matrices.

So a 1024x768 monitor had 1024 RGB pixels horizontally and 768 pixels vertically. Drawing 800x600 or even 640x480 on that monitor resulted in upscaling and a blurry image, but the analogue change of the drawing meant the steps weren't discrete as on LCDs. 800x600 on an early 1024x768 monitor had nearest neighbour scaling which is why it looked crap, with some pixels being double height/width.

Modern LCD's scale the signal to the display much like a CRT did naturally with interpolated values. It can still look terrible because it'll be blurred, but that's exactly what CRTs did. They just had smaller screens so we didn't notice it as much. ;)

I find it quite ironic how many IQ advocates on the intarweb are playing on TV sets that introduce all kinds of issues, first of all ghosting, yet they demand the best possible IQ output from these poor little consoles. EDIT: not directed to anyone in particular here!

Well of course. Seeing as the TV screws up the image already, we don't even more issues. :p It's also worth noting that the mainstream TV tech is intrinsically limited in how it creates the image, so it's not like there's a lot of choice for gamers. It's not as though we could be using cheap OLED TVs but get LCDs instead coz we're thick. ;)

I think The Amazon Fire TV looks quite good actually. It's capable of running almost Xbox 360 level graphics at a lower price. Xbox 360 developers tend to choose prettier pixels instead of higher resolution, and the console games tend to have more game play depth compared to mobile games. It would be interesting to see what this device would be able to do if all the games were rendering at 720p and fully optimized for it. At 1080p you certainly need to scale down the graphics quality way too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Presumably optimisation isn't a realistic option though outside of 1st party titles. Everything will be Android portable aiming at the wider Android audience.

Presumably optimisation isn't a realistic option though outside of 1st party titles. Everything will be Android portable aiming at the wider Android audience.
Yeah... It's close to PC in this regard. Every game is optimized for different hardware combination in mind (the one that the developer used himself).

I wonder how this device compares to iPad Air / Retina Mini in performance. These tablets run Trials Frontier at locked 60 fps at native 2048x1536. Of course it's a quite simple game graphically: Dynamic lighting uses a single spherical harmonic per object, there's no post processing at all and dynamic shadows are simple drop shadows (static other shadows are vertex baked).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back