Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure why triple buffering would prevent tearing and the framerates in DF analysis don't support tripple buffering anyway - i.e. they don't jump between 60, 40 and 20, they vary all over the place.

This is exactly how the PC version operates at sub refresh rate framerates regardless of whether you have vsync turned on or not so it may be some form of adaptive vsync. For the record, despite this I've never noticed any major tearing in the PC version either. Would I be correct n saying tearing is more noticable at higher framerates and thus at sub 60fps you're less likely to notice?

I'm not sure why triple buffering would prevent tearing and the framerates in DF analysis don't support tripple buffering anyway - i.e. they don't jump between 60, 40 and 20, they vary all over the place.

This is exactly how the PC version operates at sub refresh rate framerates regardless of whether you have vsync turned on or not so it may be some form of adaptive vsync. For the record, despite this I've never noticed any major tearing in the PC version either. Would I be correct n saying tearing is more noticable at higher framerates and thus at sub 60fps you're less likely to notice?

I don't believe that's how triple buffering works.

Also if your refresh rate is 60FPS and the game is running above 60 then you can get torn frames at more than one location at a single given time frame. This is why tearing is more noticeable when the framerate is above 60, but if you have a screen with high refresh rate then it shouldn't be having that issue. And yes I think tearing should be more noticeable at a higher framerate because you have a chance of coming across more torn frames, in say a second, than you would if the game were running 60FPS because there are a lot more frames.

Ok so... Does it tear on ps4 or not?

Watching the df video, yes it does, occassionally. Probably less than noticable though. Also, having played the game, the DF footage shows rather hectic scenes of the game. I am willing to guess that on average, the game should run more than fine given there's a lot of exploring and quiet segments where I'm guessing will feature a lot more consistent framerate overall.

Watching the df video, yes it does, occassionally. Probably less than noticable though. Also, having played the game, the DF footage shows rather hectic scenes of the game. I am willing to guess that on average, the game should run more than fine given there's a lot of exploring and quiet segments where I'm guessing will feature a lot more consistent framerate overall.

Helpful as always, thanks!
Well I guess I'll buy this as I could only play a couple hours before giving the game back to my mate.

No. The PS4 version never tears (not on the 2 DF performance videos anyway). Shifty's Bitch was asking for the PS4 version, not the X1 one.

Only the X1 version has screen tearing indicated by the small red vertical bars located on the green X1 horizontal line on the DF performance video.

No. The PS4 version never tears (not on the 2 DF performance videos anyway). Shifty's Bitch was asking for the PS4 version, not the X1 one.

Sorry yes, you are correct. I was reading the markings wrong (I thought left was PS4, when I should have checked the blue / green lines instead).

You are so far off base it's hard to determine where to start. You seem to have jumbled up double and triple buffering in your head. But then still gotten the specifics of that wrong.

You are so far off base it's hard to determine where to start. You seem to have jumbled up double and triple buffering in your head. But then still gotten the specifics of that wrong.

Feel free to correct me.

EDIT: Actually let me correct myself first as I've just re-read my post and noticed a couple of basic errors.

1 - obviously triple buffering would eliminate tearing since it's a for of vsync duh. Had a brain fart on that one.
2 - I did think triple buffering drops the framerate from 60 to 40 and then 20 as opposed to 60 then 30 then 15 of double buffering but perhaps I'm wrong there. Thinking about it I'm not even sure myself how that could work since the monitors refresh rate can't change to 40hz!
3 - Just to clarify what I said about the PC version, I mean that with vsync on, the framerate will cap at 60fps but vary greatly below that. Obvously with vsync off it will vary above 60fps as well. The thing is that with vsync on (double ot triple, it doesnt matter), when framerate falls below 60 fps it doesn't go straight to 30fps, it varies just like we're seeing in the PS version, hence why I assumed an adaptive vsync is being used.

The amount of personal attacks on this and other tech threads is disheartening and makes gathering useful information harder than it already is. Can't you boys just stick to a factual, civil conversation?

I thought all console games were vsynced or at least used some kind of proprietary "adaptive" vsync..
Between this generation and the last, are there any console games with visible tearing? I know I never saw such a thing in any of my PS2, Wii and then PS4 games..

I thought all console games were vsynced or at least used some kind of proprietary "adaptive" vsync..
Between this generation and the last, are there any console games with visible tearing? I know I never saw such a thing in any of my PS2, Wii and then PS4 games..

I was going to post this, but ToTTenTranz beat me to it. If the XB1 exhibits actual tearing (and it's not some error / artifact of the testing tool that isn't ready for consoles just yet), then it would be the first that I've heard of a console not using vsync.

That's not to say that it's the first time it has ever occurred, but I'd be interested to learn where NO vsync has been implemented on prior console games.

Many games were not V synced last gen and even the gen before.

Adaptive Vsync is when the game is vsynced when it's running at the target framerate and drops it when the framerate falls below target. This was quite usual last gen especially with 360 tittles like Gears of War and Alan Wake. Then there were games that didn't have any sort of vsync at all (so far as I understand it) like Battlefield games (tearing on PS3 was limited to the top area of the screen somehow), Resident Evil (360), most UE3 games, Uncharted 1, Heavenly sword etc etc the list goes on and on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Surely if a game unlocks the framerate below the TV's refresh rate though it has the potential to tear.

A lot of games on 360 used an adaptive sync. More games went triple buffer on PS3. Some tried to make it so that the tearing occurred in the top 5%-10% of the screen (the "safe zone" for overscan on general population TV sets).

One or two had no sync at all (Bayonetta on 360 comes to mind).

TONS of games over the last 2 console generations had tearing. And not just in the overscan area.

Triple buffering effectively eliminates tearing. Even below 60 fps.

I don't mean to be overly harsh, but this is kind of basic stuff that I can't believe needs to be rehashed right now in this thread.

Perhaps I misunderstand but I don't believe this to be the case.

In any given one second of play, assuming the hardware is capable of outputting 60fps, it only takes 2-3 frames to not complete within .16ms (but less than .33ms) for the frame rate to drop to 55fps and only 10 frames to not complete within .16ms (but less than .33ms) for the frame rate to drop to 40fps.

Precisely. You don't need to be running at 60 frame for the duration of a second to achieve the rate of 60 fps, which is 16.67ms per refresh. There are games that for whatever reason, locked the frame rate to 30 when vsync is turned on, but that's not how it supposed to happen.

Many, many games on ps3 at least had visible tearing. A lot more than I can remember on ps2. In fact I don't even think I saw or knew about tearing in the ps2 days. Priorities were different then, and perhaps I didn't care as much at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back