Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its decent, but I can't see any RT GI ( just reflections, decent GI is a lot more expensive, so I assume thats why they havent added it ) and this game is screaming out for them, it would be a perfect showcase with all the flashing lights from the weapons, explosions etc in the game.
I wonder if they added the rain, cause they added RT reflections? :LOL:

Yeah, good GI would be a lot better, but unfortunately just like any new technology there tends to be one thing that most developers focus heavily on because then it's really easy to say, "LOOK, Here's the new shiny tech in our game!" And for current RT, this unfortunately is reflections. That's why I was so happy when Metro: Exodus Enhanced edition instead focused on the lighting with reflections being left off on the consoles when they needed more rendering budget.

Regards,
SB

I'm even more impressed, that this small team has delivered the game running well (except for some loading times) on all Xbox consoles. Well the dx12 mode on PC is another thing, but I really didn't expect the game running on xb1 and looking so good.
D3D12 on PC is different from XBox code, how?

Hats off to the guys it looks very nice, Im jealous, yes isometric does make it easier to get something looking good but still they have chosen well to go this route. Loading does seem slow though (nearly 30 secs), that would be my only complaint.
D3d12 is a joke though, its now 6+ years and still its not widely used (In the same time we went from d3d3, d3d5, d3d6, d3d7, d3d8, d3d9) , I are also stuck on d3d11 cause d3d12 just aint fully ready. I havent been following it but what is the cause of the holdup?
Ray tracing using DirectX requires D3D12?

Nice interview @Dictator
One of the things I found interesting was that the GDK doesn't report back if the display is VRR.
Be interesting when DF do their VRR analysis on this.
I know the 1X didn't hassle LFC very well, so this will tell us if it's improved and if it can be relied on.

That memory reduction... hard to tell if it's "competence" from the people who made these optimizations of "incompetence" from Microsoft team for needing so much memory at launch.
The game is a huge undertaking, so you optimize what you can when you can.

"glass cockpit" is full blown web browser with html, css, javascript etc .... excuse my language but what the actual fuck!?
Was interesting to hear this, but given just how it can be modded not a bad decision.
Wonder if its using general commonly available libraries to handle it etc.

It was also not a new game totally from the ground up. So it's very possible there's still some performance to come.

Last edited:
That memory reduction... hard to tell if it's "competence" from the people who made these optimizations of "incompetence" from Microsoft team for needing so much memory at launch.

If I have understand correctly the overuse of memory was because the game had multiple datasets for each info panel and now they have just one world data set for all panels.

"glass cockpit" is full blown web browser with html, css, javascript etc .... excuse my language but what the actual fuck!?
Not that unusual
in last year’s GDC about my work building SimCity 2013’s UI system purely in HTML/CSS/JavaScript.
https://www.yeechengchin.com/2016-02-23-GDC-talk/
In fact I would say a lot of games use something similar but simplified, maybe not a whole browser but a markup language (I could prolly dig up some of my stuff from >10 years ago you'ld look at it and go hey thats very much like html)

Usual really good episode with shout out to @iroboto
Nice! Sorry been away for a while. So busy trying to get my cuda environment working with opencv so we can get some speed going!
And a busy month, last minute cottages before my girls go back to school and all three have birthdays this month separated with 2 weeks apart into sept.

Ray tracing using DirectX requires D3D12?

Or Vulkan...

Flight Simulator isn't made by a MS Studio. It's made by the independent studio, Asobo Studio. I'd say it's fairly impressive what they accomplished as an independent studio that isn't owned by any major publisher.

Regards,
SB

Currently the perfomance state of Halo Infinite is currently objectively bad on XSX in the 120hz mode. Sure on paper 1440p 120hz looks good but it's only the case in specific conditions. According to VGTech, when played in normal conditions (so combat, I mean it's a FPS), the game mostly runs at 1080p at 100-110fps. And it only hits 120hz when looking at the sky or a wall.

It's not like the game is a looker, too. And from what I saw the maps are rather small. Compared to Warzone (120hz) and its way bigger and better looking maps, this looks technically mediocre IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back