Diablo III - It's official

I want the Amazon back, but with more streamlined switching between melee and ranged. It didn't work AT ALL in D2 until they introduced weapon switching in the expansion, and even then it was too cumbersome.

Also, the desynch issues in the game made meleeing against certain mobs very dangerous; you could stand there and fend at half a dozen targets and not hitting any of them and be unable to move until the animation finishes playing, while a frenzied minotaur is mauling you to pieces. Or worse, you get iron maiden tossed on you by an abyss knigget, and you destroy yourself in half a second, also while unable to stop flailing your weapon... :p

Oh, good ol' Diablo 2. I remember stumbling upon completely unkillable named mobs that regained 30-60% of their health every time they teleported - which they did A LOT. Those guys could wipe out the prime evils just by wearing them down, then take their place... You don't meet Baal in the deepest basement level of Mt. Arreat, it's Crypt Mould; lightning immune, stone skin, cursed, extra strong, teleporting... Thank god(s) they removed that!

I do miss the MSLEBs though... They were kind of fun. Kind of! :D

Oh, and Titan Quest fecking SUCKS. I tried to play it a couple months ago after buying it cheaply off of steam and it's complete shite. Way, way unbalanced gameplay, and just boring and uninspired really...

Bumped with a vengeance:

For those of you with Facebook, check out the newest D3 screens and video revealing the new crafting system!

Last edited by a moderator:
...Which is humorous in itself, seeing as there wasn't a single rainbow to be found in WoW at that time... ;)

It still does have some cues taken from the cartoon styles that are abound now days. It's not over the top though.

Just do a little compare and contrast against The Witcher, for example. Maybe even Dark Messiah.

At least it's not like the new AoE Online. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The original Torchlight didn't have the polish even the now over 10 years old Diablo2 had. Its devtime was extremely short in comparison to Blizzard's effort, so obviously it would be a simpler game as well.

TL2 isn't that far around the corner I believe (and seems improved, but will undoubtedly ultimately underwhelm compared to the Diablo series); unless T3 becomes a rushed hackjob of a game I don't think it will make it out before D3. The latter should be out summer 2011 I should think, seeing as the previous title launched at that time.

TL2 isn't that far around the corner I believe (and seems improved, but will undoubtedly ultimately underwhelm compared to the Diablo series); unless T3 becomes a rushed hackjob of a game I don't think it will make it out before D3. The latter should be out summer 2011 I should think, seeing as the previous title launched at that time.

Maybe, maybe not. There's a possibility they may not launch D3 until they finish releasing all episodes of SC2. If that's the case, it likely won't come out until 2012 or possibly late 2011 depending on how quickly they release the Zerg and Protoss campaigns.

Regards,
SB

There's a possibility they may not launch D3 until they finish releasing all episodes of SC2.
Forgive me for saying so, but that sounds really dumb.

Diablo and Starcraft belong in two different game genres, they appeal to different groups of players. You can only cook a game for so long before it gets overdone (and team morale starts to suffer), and artificially holding D3 back on account of SC would be bad decision making. I doubt Blizzard is this stupid.

D3 will have been in development for like 5 years by the time 2011 rolls around. It's ready now, this baby wants to come out and play. No way it could need another two years of work, it's just a hack-and-slash for chrissakes, and its tech and art, although excellent as it is from a design standpoint, is hardly cutting edge either.

The one aspect where the two projects might clash is the prerendered cinematics - if they want to keep the quality level then it'll be pretty hard to service two projects in parallel, even with the ~100 guys they have in that department.

Another factor is Activision; they are stupid and like to do whatever they want for shareholders. They would easily delay D3 if ontime release meant lower SC2 expansion sales.

Grall said:
The original Torchlight didn't have the polish even the now over 10 years old Diablo2 had.
Diablo 2 wasnt polished game, LoD expansion was. Diablo 2 1.0 was crashing many times, had useless mercenary, had not too many items, unbalanced skills and so on. Expansion pack was a blast, vanilla Diablo 2 was only good.

I know, because i pre-ordered it and was really disappointment.

Grall said:
D3 will have been in development for like 5 years by the time 2011 rolls around
Actually Diablo 3 has been in development since 2001.

Diablo 2 wasnt polished game, LoD expansion was.
Well, this point is debatable; fact is, D2 is a more polished game than Torchlight - which isn't a knock against the latter I'd like to add; it's a good effort and very good value for the low price it sells at. Just stating facts, that's all. ;)

Diablo 2 1.0 was crashing many times, had useless mercenary, had not too many items, unbalanced skills and so on.
Diablo 2 had unbalanced skills for years. Even now some classes are vastly more powerful than others, the elemental druid for example still sucks almost as much ass as it did when D2:LoD launched.

Expansion pack was a blast, vanilla Diablo 2 was only good.

I know, because i pre-ordered it and was really disappointment.
Well, I pre-ordered also, and thought it was great!

Lately I've been re-playing the game on b.net with a new Amazon, and it's very very dated. If you don't find any mana leech items - like has been happening for me - you can't afford to use any of your skills. Ranged enemies are much more dangerous than meleers...things of that nature.

Actually Diablo 3 has been in development since 2001.
Whoah. Got a source for that?

Anyway, I hope it was only concept work back then, coz...:oops::oops::oops:

Back