Diablo III - It's official

So am I right in my assumption that this is not a game I can play offline on that 14 hour flight between Detroit and Beijing?

Yes, you are right. The game requires a persistant connection, and you might experience jerkyness in movement if the connection is bad.

(That is if you are at all able to log in of course)

I also sometimes have the game cap the framerate at 50FPS, regardless if vsynch is on or not, or what the max framerate setting is set to, and so on.
I've found it's best to turn the "max foreground fps" completely off and let vsync do its job. I had that problem in the beta, where it kept wanting to dip down to 50fps, which resulted in some horrific stuttering on a 60Hz model. The problem went away completely when I turned the "max framerate" off, since then it's been rock steady at 60fps.

Yes, you are right. The game requires a persistant connection, and you might experience jerkyness in movement if the connection is bad.

(That is if you are at all able to log in of course)

So lame as this is exactly the kind of game that melts away those 14 hours easily.

Looks like the Euro D3 realm has either been down for most of the afternoon (I got booted out while leveling a 2nd demon hunter shortly before making my previous post in this thread), or the realm came back up and went back down again some time in the interim without me noticing; I just tried logging in and it's no workee.

Really disappointing that they can't even give an ETA on when they'll be finished, nor any actual info on what is wrong either. The game seemed to be working just fine before they shut everything down.

I guess I really don't get the online "realms" in a single-player game. Why not make them installable so poor saps like me can play offline? Do other player's actions affect the "realm" even though you cannot interact with them?

Looks like the Euro D3 realm has either been down for most of the afternoon (I got booted out while leveling a 2nd demon hunter shortly before making my previous post in this thread), or the realm came back up and went back down again some time in the interim without me noticing; I just tried logging in and it's no workee.

Really disappointing that they can't even give an ETA on when they'll be finished, nor any actual info on what is wrong either. The game seemed to be working just fine before they shut everything down.

It didn't work, nobody could log in. At least you were already in and playing. All I've seen today are error messages.

You can look up the status of the servers in real time here:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/status

The servers are down in Europe as of now. They are working fine in Asia and America.

They have been down here in Europe most of the afternoon, at least since I last checked a couple of hours ago until now.

I just don't bother to launch the game before taking a look at that page. I hope they implement a single player feature some day. Even if it means they have to create another executable file with a different format for characters than that on Battlenet and not allowing people to have an option to sign in Battlenet.

I mean having two separate executable files, one featuring the online client and the other including offline features only, with commands like the Players X from Diablo 2 and so on.

I guess I really don't get the online "realms" in a single-player game. Why not make them installable so poor saps like me can play offline? Do other player's actions affect the "realm" even though you cannot interact with them?
I truly hate the feeling of being dependent on a connection, which just means the options available to you in order to play the game depend on at least FOUR!!! external factors: your ISP, the router working properly, the electricity, Battlenet... (do I forget something?) It's just crazy.

If there is a breakdown in at least one of those you can't play. And living as I live in a place where it rains a lot and bad weather is common... after 5 fried routers in the last two years I can tell you that I don't like this only online feature in the slightest.

Having a single player option, and I don't mean the fact that you can play solo on Bnet, means that only a blackout could interrupt your gaming, and that's avoidable if you play on a laptop with your batteries on, like me.

It didn't work, nobody could log in.
Weird. I hadn't been playing that long before apparantly the entire battle.net machinery blew a gasket and stopped working then.

Strange that they need over six hours to correct a login problem, it's like they have one intern who's new on the job to troubleshoot and fix the issue.

All I've seen today are error messages.
Yeah well, I didn't play all that much either. I got a DH at level 18 I think which just reached act 2 yesterday evening, and I only play that character together with a mate of mine who is a barb. However I wanted to try and see what higher level play was like with the DH without having to wait for my bud to log in so we could play together; hence the new character. I got to level 10, and then BOOM. Disconnected. :(

I mostly played on US servers because it's almost impossible to login to Asian servers. My sister and I already cleared Act 3 on normal mode. My first character (a witch doctor, in nightmare mode) is, unfortunately, on Asian server, and I can't play it at all on weekend.

Playing on American servers has several upsides for me: we are 12 ~ 16 hours ahead of the US, so the time we play is normally the time Americans are sleeping :) US servers are also faster for me than European servers. Since Asian servers are in South Korea, they are not really that fast for me.

The obvious downside is that we won't be able to use the real money AH (Blizzard promised that people in Taiwan will be able to use that despite that Koreans won't), but I'm not really worried as I don't plan to use it anyway. Also, the latency of US servers from here is generally over 200 ms, and that could be a problem in hell mode.

By the way, the official response from Blizzard about the difficulties of Asian servers is, that the Internet connect between Taiwan and South Korea is "saturated." I find that hard to believe because, AFAIK, Diablo 3 does not require that much bandwidth when playing. But if that's the real reason, then I guess I'll have to play on US servers for quite a long time.

You can look up the status of the servers in real time here:
TY! That was a very useful link! :)
Btw, Euro realm STILL down. Blizzfail...
*Edit: Ok, it's up now. :p

By the way, the official response from Blizzard about the difficulties of Asian servers is, that the Internet connect between Taiwan and South Korea is "saturated." I find that hard to believe because, AFAIK, Diablo 3 does not require that much bandwidth when playing.
How are pings and bandwidth to other South Korean sites from Taiwan? Speeds would have to be pretty damn rotten for D3 to not work alright, considering that the game couldn't possibly use much data at all (per user, of course)...

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be unable to deal with high latency and packetloss even if it doesn't use much traffic ...

Everything working out just as predicted, lousy.

Blizzard should have learned to optimize their network protocol to handle packet loss and latency after nearly 8 years of WoW...

My thoughts so far from a European based perspective. It's a nice and very polished game so far. Graphics and physics wise it might be the most excilerating in it's genre, but it's nothing I haven't seen before in other genres. Technically wise it is bad. Servers down. Unable to play because of high server load. No queuing system. Alot of lag during the gameplay. Nothing there that makes a good case for the always connected feature.

And while it is quite fun to play, for me there is nothing yet that is outstanding. Nothing that gives me a 'wow' (not World of Wacraft) moment.

I'm curious owing to sonix666's post, what on earth does make a good case for always connected?

I'm curious owing to sonix666's post, what on earth does make a good case for always connected?

The only thing making a case for always connected if if the game is a pure MMO. All else should allow you to play offline.

Considering there is no PvP aspects of the game... Blizzard is too concerned about being able to make real-life money off of item auctions. If they cared a bit less about that, there should be no concern at all over item duping.

Back