Develop source: New Xbox console on desks at EA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why any of these dates are suspect. Its not like once the xbox next comes out the xbox 360 stops selling. Some of the most profitable ps2 years were after the ps3 launched.

If MS shows xbox next at e3 2011 for a 2012 launch they can drop the xbox 360 to $150/$250 at the show and then next e3 drop it to $100/$200 and have the xbox next hit at $400 .

If MS shows the xbox next at e3 2012 for a 2013 launch date they can drop the xbox 360 to $150/$250 in 2011 , drop to $100/$200 in 2012 and drop to a single $100-$150 sku and have plenty of room for a $400 console.

If the ps4 isn't coming till at least 2013/14 MS could have alot to gain as the xbox 360 will be dirt cheap and will still get a ton of ports from the ps3.

Perhaps there wont be a next gen kinect and they will simply use the original kinect with the xbox next.

Anybody on this board should be sophisticated enough to know a new Xbox in 2k12 is highly unlikely. I even rate 2013 as rather unlikely. Microsoft may well have a vague target of 2013 I suspect, but I'm also guessing it'll slip due to time pressures.

we will be teased about it at CES 2012 and have the unveiling around CES 2013 :cool:

we will be teased about it at CES 2012 and have the unveiling around CES 2013 :cool:
Stolen from russian livejournal:D

...The specs are samples and white papers yes we do have an official dev kit "hardware" but its still beta. it is no longer alpha tech so we no what we can expect and its a massive leap forward.. but weather they really do pull the curtain back to reveal it i cant honestly give 100% but every thing is point to it as we do have a trailer ready to go... yes its real time yes and it will look better then this we have been working on alpha kits for around 2 years the problem at ms is the console design iv seen close to 30 designs and only 2 of them were really really good. ...

...720 @ e3 :) this is going to be the best e3 ever. unreal 4 enhanced console... :)

I don't know how reliable Russian journals are..

It seems too early, they were only hiring for engineers back in March.

I don't really want them to come out before Sony as then the PS4 will most likely be more powerful (unless Sony manages to screw up) and I quite liked the equality between the two this gen and prefer playing multiplat titles on 360 as most of my friends are on Live not PSN.

Yeah that bit about working on alpha kits for 2 years is very suspect IMO.

I don't see why any of these dates are suspect. Its not like once the xbox next comes out the xbox 360 stops selling. Some of the most profitable ps2 years were after the ps3 launched.

If MS shows xbox next at e3 2011 for a 2012 launch they can drop the xbox 360 to $150/$250 at the show and then next e3 drop it to $100/$200 and have the xbox next hit at $400 .

If MS shows the xbox next at e3 2012 for a 2013 launch date they can drop the xbox 360 to $150/$250 in 2011 , drop to $100/$200 in 2012 and drop to a single $100-$150 sku and have plenty of room for a $400 console.

If the ps4 isn't coming till at least 2013/14 MS could have alot to gain as the xbox 360 will be dirt cheap and will still get a ton of ports from the ps3.

Perhaps there wont be a next gen kinect and they will simply use the original kinect with the xbox next.

Here's the thing. IMO I don't think Sony would have released the PS3 as early as they did if they had a choice. If last gen could have last 7 years before jumping to the new generation, I think Sony would have been happy with it. Why jump into the next gen, losing hundreds of dollars per unit, when the current gen is banking you so much money?

The ps2 was selling great, the hardware was profitable, had by far the largest install base, and had some of it's greatest releases when this current gen began.

IMO MS kind of forced Sony's hand into the next gen, IMO how unfinished the ps3 was at reveal and even at launch supports this theory.

Well MS is in a similar position now. The 360 is selling better than it ever has, the system recently received a second wind due to the Slim and Kinect launches, and AFAIK the system is actually profitable for MS now. Why disrupt that momentum by announcing a new console? I understand there's the argument that you want to push a new product while the momentum is in your favor, it's basically what they did with the transition from the xbox to the 360, but the scenario is different now. Basically I don't think it would be wise for MS or Sony to launch before 2013 at the earliest.

As for Kinect, with the skeletal tracking being done on the system, a new Kinect shouldn't be needed for the 720 IMO. More power should allow faster and more accurate tracking, or so I would think. I think that's why MS moved the processing from Kinect itself to the 360, this way Kinect isn't limited to a fixed set of specs, but instead can improve in future generations of hardware.

Of course I can be wrong about all of this, but that's the way I see it all.

I think that's why MS moved the processing from Kinect itself to the 360, this way Kinect isn't limited to a fixed set of specs, but instead can improve in future generations of hardware.

Don't overthink it. It's just cost-cutting.

Yeah that bit about working on alpha kits for 2 years is very suspect IMO.

Here's the thing. IMO I don't think Sony would have released the PS3 as early as they did if they had a choice. If last gen could have last 7 years before jumping to the new generation, I think Sony would have been happy with it. Why jump into the next gen, losing hundreds of dollars per unit, when the current gen is banking you so much money?

Sony didn't have a choice because there were two other players. MS wont have a choice as there are two other players.

Also the more this gen goes on the more reasons i see for sony jumping into next gen as early as possible. The ps3 has been a failure compared to the ps1/2 and with the recent lawsuits it might be best to move foward in the next two years.

MS might also not need to loose hundreds of dollars at launch with hte next gen. Who knows if they lost hundreds this gen. The ps3 was very expensive because sony filled it with largely useless stuff

Look at it this way.

Ps3 $500/$600 rumored (isupply) to cost about $800-$900 when launched . This is what it had that cost so much

1) Bluray . The drive at the start was extremely expensive and sony needed it to win against hd-dvd. They thought people would buy the ps3 no matter how much it cost because of the ps1 + 2 .

2) Cell . It was much bigger than the xbox 360 cpu and they had production problems from the start

3) Two pools of diffrent ram. A unified ram setup would allow them to save alot of money .

4) Built in hardrive . This has a fixed bom , the size may go up but price wont go down.

This gen alot of that will be by passed

1) If ms gos with bluray , its already down to close to rock bottom prices ,

2 + 3 ) ms went with a cheaper cpu last gen with a more powerful gpu , i'm sure they will do the same again , they also went unified so these costs can be avoided

4) Next gen the base model can come with built in flash.

The ps2 was selling great, the hardware was profitable, had by far the largest install base, and had some of it's greatest releases when this current gen began.

ANd the ps3 didn't affect any of that. In fact if the ps2 wasn't doing so well sony might not have been around after all the mistakes they made with the ps3

IMO MS kind of forced Sony's hand into the next gen, IMO how unfinished the ps3 was at reveal and even at launch supports this theory.
I think the unfinished software had more to do with their cpu choice. Sony has traditionaly launched systems with poor launch titles and first year titles.

Well MS is in a similar position now. The 360 is selling better than it ever has, the system recently received a second wind due to the Slim and Kinect launches, and AFAIK the system is actually profitable for MS now. Why disrupt that momentum by announcing a new console? I understand there's the argument that you want to push a new product while the momentum is in your favor, it's basically what they did with the transition from the xbox to the 360, but the scenario is different now. Basically I don't think it would be wise for MS or Sony to launch before 2013 at the earliest.

The problem is they could end up in the postion that sony was in this gen. Nintendo will go in 2012 and if sony goes in 2012 and ms goes in 13 they may not be able to make the xbox next stand out compared to the other and if sony has a year to themselves ms will launch facing a 10-20m with a system that largely doesn't stand out from the competition.

If they are able to go 2012 esp in the united states ms could have an even bigger lead than this gen before sony launches and sony may be in the same postion as last gen with them not being able to make the console stand out hardware wise

As for Kinect, with the skeletal tracking being done on the system, a new Kinect shouldn't be needed for the 720 IMO. More power should allow faster and more accurate tracking, or so I would think. I think that's why MS moved the processing from Kinect itself to the 360, this way Kinect isn't limited to a fixed set of specs, but instead can improve in future generations of hardware.

The question is what is its usb speed. Is it capable of usb 3.0 ?

Personaly I see this senario

Xbox next launches and starts to get the core gamers onto the xbox next and they postion the xbox 360 to casual gamers through kinect.

i'm going to go out on a limb and assume ms is designing a $500-$600 system that they will sell at a loss for the first year or two . I'm thinking if it hits in 2012 it will be a 32nm system but with plans to move to 24nm as soon as possible.

MS will do a 6 core cpu + a 69x0 class gpu with most likely edram of some amount (64-128megs if possible) and 4-8 gigs of ram .

I think if they wait to long and launch with sony or after sony they will end up in third place (mabye second with nintendo in third place) Sony still has alot of pull in europe and japan

one of my contact that work for a game studio says that has never seen that kit, but can confirm that actually others are working on alpha kit both from microsoft and sony, and that the date they have are E3 2012 for the first presentation and at last 2013 for launch

I don't know him personally, but until now has been precise enought

i'm going to go out on a limb and assume ms is designing a $500-$600 system that they will sell at a loss for the first year or two . I'm thinking if it hits in 2012 it will be a 32nm system but with plans to move to 24nm as soon as possible.

MS will do a 6 core cpu + a 69x0 class gpu with most likely edram of some amount (64-128megs if possible) and 4-8 gigs of ram .

I think if they wait to long and launch with sony or after sony they will end up in third place (mabye second with nintendo in third place) Sony still has alot of pull in europe and japan
Honestly 500/600$ is a hell lot for a gaming system, it's better do a lot more for the price than just gaming or Ms will have to deal with a slow start and plenty of complains.
The only reason I see my self to pay that much is if it allows me to somehow replace my computer. I'm not super picky I don't do fancy stuff with my PC so the requirements (for me) would be:
Complete multimedia capabilities (read every formats).
A good browser
Accès to office like apllication (even thought "the could"/Azure).

I'm not sure that 6 cores and 69xx class of GPU are likely. The more cores the more overhead and they are a lot of room for improvement over Xenos ( single thread pers sucks, SIMD are no longer that wide vs what standard in the PC realm). I believe Ms is more likely to have something 7xxxx based for the gpu if not newer (an in between gpu 7xxxx<gpu<8xxx).

That idea of a more versatile 'console' would be readily served by supporting iOS or Android, as an OtherOS type addition. One could also imagine a (Jeff Rigby approved) HTML5 frontend with access to apps/webapps. MS aren't in the strongest position to offer this, unless their next box is a PC with a Windows partition and a boot into a closed gaming mode, but then where would Xbox games fit in if Windows games can be installed? I don't know how their online mobile strategy is going, and if they'll have something comparable to iOS and Android by the time XB3 launches. Windows mobile seems too marginalised at the moment. Sony are comfortably positioned to form whatever strategic alliance is necessary (assuming anyone wants to play with them any more). Google seems a good match. iOS is clearly out of bounds for everyone!

Ummm, this is all kinda in the wrong thread though. We have a next-gen discussion thread for such talk. This thread is specifically about the rumoured hardware that devs have, and its rumoured specs.

Honestly 500/600$ is a hell lot for a gaming system, it's better do a lot more for the price than just gaming or Ms will have to deal with a slow start and plenty of complains.
I think he meant that the machine would cost MS $500-600 but they would sell it for the more typical $300 or whatever. The usual loss strategy like what PS3 and 360 did at least at the start. This is why Nintendo stopped trying to directly compete in the hardware power aspect.

I don't know. I think that after this generation and the success of the Wii, Microsoft won't be willing to lose as much on the system as they did on the 360, excluding the extended warranty of course. So I'm not sure if the hardware will be that large of a jump. I can’t speculate much on the CPU in the system other than to say that it will likely be cheap. There currently doesn't seem to be anything better than DirectX 11 in sight, which is an improvement over the rumored Nintendo specs but it might not end up being as much. I also doubt the machines will have more memory than what is available on video cards out on the market at the time. Xbox1 had 64mb which was in line with what was out in the video card market at the time. Xbox 360 has 512 which falls in line with what was out on the market. I don't see any new system having more that 4GB, that is if we will have 4GB video cards before Microsoft’s releases their next console. 2GB is more likely for now.

I don't know. I think that after this generation and the success of the Wii, Microsoft won't be willing to lose as much on the system as they did on the 360, excluding the extended warranty of course. So I'm not sure if the hardware will be that large of a jump.

I don't see where the Wii was a success, not in terms of anything that MS wants to do. It has no real network, no real way to move other products and services, and was based on a gimmick that most likely can't be replicated into a second generation. Nintendo is going to have to invent yet another new way to experience gaming for them to match the success of the Wii and they're going to have to do it again at a very low price point.

Conversely, MS launched a console that would have been bringing in money hand over fist if not for the engineering problems and subsequent repair and replacement costs, not to mention the money that the system brings in through Live. If anything, the 360 proved the strategy of powerful systems being sold for a loss. Execution could have been improved, but there was nothing wrong with the strategy.

I'd go a step further and show the flagging Wii sales while 360 sales are up YOY as proof that the low cost, low power system is a short-term strategy that relies on catching lightening in a bottle with something that captivates the imagination of their customers (even if it doesn't actually perform accordingly).

The only reason I see my self to pay that much is if it allows me to somehow replace my computer. I'm not super picky I don't do fancy stuff with my PC so the requirements (for me) would be:
Complete multimedia capabilities (read every formats).
A good browser
Accès to office like apllication (even thought "the could"/Azure).

I'm not sure that 6 cores and 69xx class of GPU are likely. The more cores the more overhead and they are a lot of room for improvement over Xenos ( single thread pers sucks, SIMD are no longer that wide vs what standard in the PC realm). I believe Ms is more likely to have something 7xxxx based for the gpu if not newer (an in between gpu 7xxxx<gpu<8xxx).

Why is $500 alot for a next gen xbox. The xbox 360 released nov 2005 for $300/$400 and today its selling for $200/$300/$400

If we see an increase console life span we should get rdy for a system price increase and $100 bucks increase doesn't seem that much imo.

When speaking of 6970 i'm talking more performance wise

Why is $500 alot for a next gen xbox?

Because you can get a usable computer for that kind of money which isn't limited to just gaming. The only way that price point works is if the next round of systems completely replace the PC which seems unlikely (especially post Sony hack).

Because you can get a usable computer for that kind of money which isn't limited to just gaming. The only way that price point works is if the next round of systems completely replace the PC which seems unlikely (especially post Sony hack).

You get alot now for what your paying . $500 for 7-8 years of a console in which it has hulu , netflix , cutting edge graphics , streaming from your pc and tons of other things .

I also wouldn't be surprsied if xbox live moves towards windows phone 7 during the next gen (or what windows phone turns into

You get alot now for what your paying . $500 for 7-8 years of a console in which it has hulu , netflix , cutting edge graphics , streaming from your pc and tons of other things .

I also wouldn't be surprsied if xbox live moves towards windows phone 7 during the next gen (or what windows phone turns into

This is rather pay $500 for a machine that can at least keep on going for 7 years instead of paying $300 for a machine that is already old when it reaches its 4th year on the market.

And yeah i know consoles are always old compared to pc.:LOL:
Still why are people expecting a 6xxx card isn't that serie kinda old when next gen starts?
I would expect something like kepler or maxwell cards for a 2012~2013 launch.

Most people already own a PC, it's not a competition for dollars to buy a PC or a console. A lot of console owners simply would rather not game on their PC, or that the consoles bring a different (better) experience for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back