Deus Ex 3 (PC)

Im not seeing stutter but I am playing at 5284x1050

I'm having the same stuttering in Detroit (including Sarif office) with a i7-860/8GB & 580 (3GB) @832MHz.
v-sync on + FXAA High

Readings (From Afterburner)
VRAM usage: 750MB
GPU Utilization 60%
When the framerates drop (from 59.1 to 20ish) the GPU utilization does NOT change.

I have heavy load on the first physical core, rest is about 30-40%

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, now I have to install, patch, mod and play DX1 again.

:)

Edit: nvm, it's still installed.

OK.

Deus Ex is old, ugly and quite basic as far as physics go. But it still beats any other game as far as gameplay goes, IMO.

While it has levels and less choice and upgradeability than, say, Fallout: Las Vegas, it is more of an interactive sim and sandbox than both, in a way. There is no limit to the amount of ways you can approach each situation, most of which you find out when things go wrong.

I would put Stalker and Boiling Point high up there as well, although they offer much less choices. Morrowind is nice as well.

But I tend to replay Deus Ex at least once a year, which I cannot say for any other game. And it still offers new things each time I play it. Even with the actually rather limited interactivity.

Which is what I want most from a game, I think.

Compared to that, every other game is either being on rails (99% of them), or too much of the same (like, Oblivion and even Fallout: Las Vegas). Even if there are more and interesting things to explore, there aren't actually all that much different things you can do.

Edit: and I'll have to replay Morrowind after that, although that tends to take a lot of time finding and installing the mods I want, or making those myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, last comment: I think Deus Ex is much more coherent and makes a lot more sense than Human Revolution, which feels very gamey.

For example: why do we get instant healing, except during gunfights? The healing made sense in Deus Ex, with all of the technology improving or helping your biological parts. But, with Alex being mostly mechanical, what exactly is healing? And why isn't it happening while you're pulling a trigger?

And the hacking mini-game: while it's one of the least offending ones (and actually somewhat fun when you know what to do), it's definitely not how you would hack something ILR. But, as you get xp for it, you're compelled to hack everything that you can. The multi-tools and lock picks of the original at least didn't try to explain how it was done.

With that hacking mini-game, it makes even less sense that you get cash when you pick up a credit card. How is that supposed to work?

As a mission runner, it makes sense you get paid (in money and xp) when you finish a job. Like in DX1. But it makes no sense you get experience points with which you can improve yourself by buying mechanical upgrades. Either get rid of the xp and make it money based, or use the xp to improve your skills. But those skills are player based.

In DX1, you were mostly turned loose in an area, to accomplish a goal. But in DX:HR you have a choice between two or three, pretty linear paths, with invisible walls blocking obvious shortcuts. And there is a one-way exit or elevator at the end, to prevent you from having to backtrack. Sometimes with an unavoidable boss fight at the end. And if you do try to backtrack and explore the other paths, they often end up being closed.

I left all the loot at the box hotel, but there was no way to re-enter it. And I couldn't backtrack while still inside, as I had taken the drop.

The augmentations in DX1 had to be installed by a medibot, while it could conceivably been done by drinking the nanites. But in DX:HR, where all the augmentations are actual hardware, you can, eh, just enter the code to unlock them?

For example: why do we get instant healing, except during gunfights? The healing made sense in Deus Ex, with all of the technology improving or helping your biological parts. But, with Alex being mostly mechanical, what exactly is healing? And why isn't it happening while you're pulling a trigger?

Who's Alex? you play J.C Denton

it makes even less sense that you get cash when you pick up a credit card. How is that supposed to work?
You dont get cash you get credit

But it makes no sense you get experience points with which you can improve yourself by buying mechanical upgrades. Either get rid of the xp and make it money based, or use the xp to improve your skills.

Ah, but the nice lady in the first limb chop shop you go to tells you why it's like that. Your body is not ready to handle all the stuff that's already installed all at once. As time goes on these augments will activate, as your body gets more used to being augmented. Optionally you can buy Praxis which is essentially you taking the risk and unlocking these augments earlier.

I have no idea if there really is a down-side to using Praxis over regular XP unlocking and PLEASE DONT SPOIL IT AND TELL ME, but I hope there is because it will be a nice break from today's norm of letting people get away with absolutely everything in games, and a good reason to replay it. Christ, that was a long sentence, I've been living in Germany too long.

You heal during gun fights (and instantly if that's what you want), the whole reasoning behind the gradual upgrade system is rather well explained, and your name is Adam. And how is the game more "gamey" than the first game? Conveniently placed ventilation ducts is something both games have in common, but I'd argue that hitting someone with a weapon at point blank range right away is less gamey than having to wait an extra 5 seconds to properly line up a shot just because it's supposed to be an rpg mechanic.
Doesn't get much more gamey than a Deus Ex game anyway.

I managed to get my hands on a X1950XTX 512MB (a funky Crossfire edition at that). I've been wanting to experiment with modern D3D9 games and an old card. Yes the game runs fine on the card but it's not particularly playable most of the time. 12-25 fps with hitching too.

Settings were all normal. Added FXAA High (barely affects it), Vsync, Triple Buffering. 1680x1050. Run on a Phenom II @ 3.7 GHz.

So while yes it is Shader Model 3, it's not exactly within the reach of even this peak form SM3 card at this resolution.

I managed to get my hands on a X1950XTX 512MB (a funky Crossfire edition at that). I've been wanting to experiment with modern D3D9 games and an old card. Yes the game runs fine on the card but it's not particularly playable most of the time. 12-25 fps with hitching too.

Settings were all normal. Added FXAA High (barely affects it), Vsync, Triple Buffering. 1680x1050. Run on a Phenom II @ 3.7 GHz.

So while yes it is Shader Model 3, it's not exactly within the reach of even this peak form SM3 card at this resolution.

That's an interesting comparison, this badically tells us how well optimised (from a GPU perspective) the game is for PC's compared with consoles. In theory the X1950XTX should smoke either console version. Obviously the resolution would need to be dialled down for a straight comparison though. How do the other setting compare?

I'm just curious about what D3D9 games a X1950 can still run fairly well. It ran AVP3 playably at 1680x1050. DXHR is a no go though without a rez drop. I'm going to look at other games yet.

impressed I am

The new patch addresses a variety of issues as well as adds some new features:

Fixes:
- We have addressed various issues that can occur for players that would result in ‘stuttering’.
o Stutters that are the result of graphics driver shader processing are now removed or significantly reduced.
o Stutters that are the result of data streaming have been removed or significantly reduced.
o Performance has been improved and made more stable on dual-core systems. This could previously also result in stuttering.
- Fixed issue where some players couldn’t complete the Motherly Ties side quest.
- Fixed an issue where doors in Omega Ranch sometimes wouldn’t open.
- The TYM medical card should no longer fall through the table if an NPC’s body comes into contact with the card. Players already stuck in this area will need to revert to a previous save before the card fell through.
- Occasional hangs for some players during video-playback have been fixed.
- A crash on startup when running DX11 on a single-core CPU has been fixed.
- An issue causing Eyefinity setups to not be correctly detected for some players has been fixed.
- Fixed an issue where the HUD would get permanently disabled for some players.
- Fixed certain issues that caused the mouse cursor to be able to leave the game-screen on multi-monitor setups.
- Fixed an issue that caused the mouse cursor to not be visible in-game when the user has mouse trails enabled in Windows. We still recommend disabling mouse trails for a smoother in-game mouse cursor.
- Fixed issue where ammo count for collected guns is incorrect when Adams weapon is augmented.
- In DX9 mode:
o Fixed error message for some users when trying to use FXAA Medium or FXAA Low anti aliasing modes.
o Fixed shadow-mapping ‘lines’ on some graphics hardware when using anisotropic filtering.

Feature Additions:
- The Enter and Numpad-Enter keys can now be bound to game actions in the keyboard control menu.
- Intro logos can now be skipped on all but the first run of the game.
- Added windowed mode.
o Selectable in the menu, and can be toggled between windowed, fullscreen, and fullscreen windowed using ALT-ENTER.
- Added an option to change the text language of the game. This setting only changes the text language, the audio is controlled by the language option in Steam.

On top of this we are continuing to monitor for any issues that may need to be addressed in a future patch. One extra feature we can already confirm for a future patch is support for Nvidia 3DVision and Nvidia Surround.

We hope this patch will allow players to further enjoy Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Well color me surprised, it actually works. Just played for about five minutes, and none of the stuttering the plagued the game previously. I still get some slight slowdown in some areas, but that's just my system, it's not nearly the same thing that it was doing before.

That's an awfully quick fix, to be honest.. why couldn't they have done this before release? I find it hard to believe they didn't know about it. Reminds me of a comment I heard earlier about developers releasing incomplete products because it simply wasn't finished by the time their fixed-in-stone deadline came around.

I'm glad they fixed it but hell it seems like they already knew about it prior to release.

My guess would be if the console version has the same behavior that they just left it alone.

On a related note: I think it was this game after I installed it I got the directX installer and it had a check box to install ms bing toobar

This makes the Gaming Gods cry......

On a related note: I think it was this game after I installed it I got the directX installer and it had a check box to install ms bing toobar

This makes the Gaming Gods cry......

Lol what? MS installing crapware with DX?

I haven't loaded it up lately to check out the patch so I didn't know about the ads. How ridiculous. I read there's a mod to remove it.

Back