Deus Ex 3 (PC)

Ok, so I did like the idea, but lost interest half way my first playthrough.

I started playing Deus Ex 1, again, for the umptied time, and thought better of it.

So I started playing Morrowind yet again. Yet again?

Or in other words, I was bored with it even faster than with Oblivion.

Yes, it does capture a certain aspect of Deus Ex, but there is a designer breathing down your neck telling you how to play and what to do all the time. I don't like that.

Well, if it had a great story...

Yeah it's pretty sad that it's included with DirectX now but it's so commonplace in installers now you always check your ticked options before cycling through. Java is pretty bad now including the Ask toolbar with their installer.

For all the antitrust crap microsoft goes through I'm surprised they would okay that.

For all the antitrust crap microsoft goes through I'm surprised they would okay that.
It might be the case that MS thought of this and provided a vanilla installer to the game developer. The game developer then turned around and offered MS the opportunity to pay for having the game offering the installer with a wrapper that makes the search bar offer.

Does anyone here know how to turn on blocking of outgoing connections in the default windows firewall? I took a look in the advanced settings window and it looks like I'll have to take a couple networking engineer classes before I could make heads or tails of the stuff I found there. :rolleyes:

I've been unable to find any other way to block the ad-shit of this game, I'm not downloading and replacing some random DLL blindly from the internet (too much malware floating around out there these days, can't be careful enough...), and besides, who knows if/when Steam will silently "repair" the "damage" to the game without telling me, or overwrite the zapped file with a new one if a game update is released.

I found a tip in a Google search to edit the windows HOSTS file to block the ad provider (doublefusion.com, apparantly), but windows is now telling me I'm not allowed to save stuff in the folder the file is located in, despite I'm the fucking administrator, so that idea got shot down real fast too.

So it would be better to just prevent the game from contacting the internet period... Except, I don't know how to do that. :( Please help. I can't play the game I bought until I know the ad shit has been nullified. I HATE ads in games I've already paid money for. It's an insult.

Editing C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts sounds like an easy way to do it.

Did you disable UAC or something ?
I just have to start notepad as Administrator to modify it...

Had a quick look win7

controlpanel
windows firewall
advanced settings
outbound rules
new rule
program -- next
this program path -- browse (select bf3 exe whetever its called)
next -- block this connection -- next
rest is self explanatory

Editing C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts sounds like an easy way to do it.

Did you disable UAC or something ?
I just have to start notepad as Administrator to modify it...

This is the easiest way to do it, point the domain it's trying to access to 127.0.0.1

Heh, last few posts here had nothing about this game. But figured I'd make this post here rather than in the currently playing thread.

First off, I have to say I'm having a love/hate relationship with the game. For the most part I can tune out the stuff that I hate, but at other times it's almost overriding and I'm tempted to send the developers all sorts of hate mail and kill their dogs.

First off, what is great. The graphics are great, the feel and the mood is great. Haven't gotten too far into the game yet so can't comment on the story. It's rather cliche at the moment but things can change. You aren't punished (as far as I can see yet) for dawdling around, but there are at least some dialog consequences at times. I love the inventory management aspect. Stealth is done somewhat well but falls apart at times. Like taking down a guy while his partner isn't 3 feet away and going unnoticed just because he isn't looking directly at you and all the while making a ton of noise during the takedown.

But that stealth aspect takes me to the thing that I absolutely hate about this game. It's worse than environmentalists. It's worse than holier than thou religious crusaders. It's far more heavy handed than any political propaganda machine. While you are allowed to play the game how you want, you are severly punished for NOT playing it how the developers want you to play it.

And the reasons you are punished doesn't have a single thing to do with the game. You are working for a corporation. They are interested in getting the job done. WTF does it matter if I take down some guy by stealth in melee range, take them down by stealth from range, kill them, or let them live? And why in the F*** would they restrict access to implant upgrades for that?

If you're thinking they don't and they don't care, then you're right. It's purely a heavy handed developer decision. Play nice, play our way, abide by OUR philosophical idealogy and you can pretend this game is almost as open as Deus Ex. Play it your way, how you want, within the framework of the game, and we'll restrict what's available to you and what you can accomplish.

Bull F***ing Shite. It is absolutely infuriating. And that has nothing to do with the fact that in general that's the way I like to play these types of games (stealthy).

Just the fact that the developers are overly aggressive at pushing their moralistic message makes them so much worse than the worst of holier than thou Christian, Muslim, Atheist (yes, plenty of holier than thou preaching Atheists in the world), etc. that I've run across in real life.

It takes what could have been a wonderful and entirely unexpectedly good tribute to the first Deus Ex, and turns it into something between good and utterly horrible.

It's something I would have expected if PETA, or Greenpeace, or the Catholic Church, or Fundamentalist Muslims had produced the game. But wow, was I so not expected to get slammed so hard if I tried to play the game as a relatively free and open experience as the first Deus Ex was.

Shame, because without the heavy handed morality guided gameplay this could easily have been the best game of 2011.

Regards,
SB

Hey maybe Bethesda should make us an open world Deus Ex with the freeform TES/Fallout3 gameplay. I drool at the thought of such a sandbox cyberpunk setting. Bethesda also tends to design for maximum gameplay freedom, including that morality topic. As much freedom and flexibility as their quirky game design skills can manage! ;)

I liked DX3 well enough though and it's the best in the series overall for me. Generally I was very impressed with the polish and presentation of the game, aside from the stuttering game engine. It could have certainly been far far worse than what Eidos pulled off.

I'm looking forward to the new Syndicate... Corporate espionage by hired guns should offer endless moral dilemma for you SB. We will see if Starbreeze manages to include more than just the angry teenager player angle.

All they had to do was leave the moralistic stuff to the storyline/endings and not be so relatively draconian about trying to force you to play a certain way and Deus Ex 3 would have been right up there with Deus Ex as one of my all time favorite games. Unfortunately, not to be. It's now in my list of games that could have been great but was ruined due to completely misguided developer intentions.

It's one thing to take a single person story driven game and funnel a person along the storyline. But Deus Ex was a game where you decided how the story would go within the overarching structure of the story without being artificially limited or herded. Deus Ex 3 perverting that just makes me angry.

As well, I'm not looking forward to Syndicate. It appears to be a game that is only using the name to try to garner some initial pre-buys and bears only a very very very superficial affinity with the original franchise.

Sort of like that X-Com FPS. Nothing to do with the X-Com franchise, but using the name to try to get some additional sales. Thank god at least Firaxis stepped in to make a proper X-Com game. I don't see that happening with Syndicate unfortunately.

Instead we'll end up with yet another FPS trying to suck off the teet of the original good franchise games.

Am I bitter? Yes. :) I want modern updates of some of the best franchises of the past. Not some bastard FPS version of every good franchise.

Next I expect to see Masters of Orion FPS remake coming. /sarcasm. :p

Regards,
SB

Eh well I don't mind much what the corps do to their franchises. Why does a franchise have to be forever linked to a specific game type anyway? Starbreeze has made some nice sci-fi games so I'm excited for more of their work.

Where's my MOO adventure game!?!

I feel we have been awash in MOO clones and hybrids since the late 90s though. But I wasn't serious in wanting a MOO adventure game lol. MOO sidescrolling shooter on the other hand......

Been playing this recently... New to the series. I'm loving it, though I wish the silent take down weapons had better accuracy.

New patch with some neat-sounding tweaks.

- Some players accounted a problem where the Tai Young Medical shuttle in Hengsha would not arrive. This has been resolved.
• Existing save-games can be loaded and continued from normally, the shuttle will now arrive.
- We have provided a workaround for stability and performance issues on AMD FX CPUs with specific firmware versions.
- We have made further changes to reduce stuttering in the game.
• Improvements to background streaming of resources. (on DX11 only)
• Workarounds have been added for issues that can happen with Windows asynchronous file IO.
• We have improved parallelism with the graphics driver on dual-core machines. (should also benefit machines with more cores)
- SSAO has been improved to look less noisy.
- Various minor issues with 3DVision have been resolved.

Back