Embracer Studio Acquisitions and Divestitures

They haven't said it directly, but I think they won't be doing future acquisitions on the same pace they were on before. It will probably be a while until their next one.

They haven't said it directly, but I think they won't be doing future acquisitions on the same pace they were on before. It will probably be a while until their next one.
That would be an interesting business modell, acquire to shutdown. I understand stripping a company and selling its assets, but I do not think game studios fits that mold...

If you're spending tens of millions on making a game it pays to take a step back and ask "who is this actually for?"
To be fair, if you played the first Saint's Row, the same question could have been asked. It wasn't until the series matured that it really found it's audience.

I think anybody buying Gearbox would be funny, considering their track record is all over the place. They are capable of producing both gems and turds, hits and flops, in all the permutations with no predictable pattern of which one will it be next.

I think anybody buying Gearbox would be funny, considering their track record is all over the place. They are capable of producing both gems and turds, hits and flops, in all the permutations with no predictable pattern of which one will it be next.
Gearbox owns some IP, though. Brothers in Arms, Borderlands, Duke Nukem, Risk of Rain, and maybe all of the Volition IP. Plus a handful of studios.

Gearbox owns some IP, though. Brothers in Arms, Borderlands, Duke Nukem, Risk of Rain, and maybe all of the Volition IP. Plus a handful of studios.

I did not know of all those IPs. But simply as devs, they are not all bad. The point I tried to make was they are unreliable. Even without the all those IPs, they arent necessarely a bad aquisition, but they are definetly a risky one.

The point I tried to make was they are unreliable.
I agree, but at the same time I feel that its part of them trying a lot of things and not just being very formula based like for instance COD games. Then again Borderlands.... :D

Apart from Borderland, all the ip are burned or too old to be relevant just by the name, and part of their work was on licensed ips.
Does someone want to make an educated guess on the market value? And then how many times more will microsoft offer?

So they went of a buying spree hoping from Saudi cash? And now they are overextended and feel the burn of high interest rates?

Microsoft is not buying any game studios for a while.
I disagree. MS will go back to buying small dev studios after the ABK purchase. They still need more studios

I disagree. MS will go back to buying small dev studios after the ABK purchase. They still need more studios
I don't know if the timeline matches up for this one, though. I guessed Epic earlier, but 2K is the publisher of Borderlands. Assuming they are happy with the sales of Borderlands and the Tiny Tina spin off game, they could be a suiter as well.

Back