Detailed impressions from an X360 owner

The aspect ratio in those shots is a little jacked as he is running a 16:9 image on a 16:10 display and should have it set up to have a bit of letterboxing, but yeah it does look pretty.

kyleb said:
The aspect ratio in those shots is a little jacked as he is running a 16:9 image on a 16:10 display and should have it set up to have a bit of letterboxing, but yeah it does look pretty.

Kyleb, for the Dell 2405, would you set the 360 to 1080i and the 2405 to native rate or per pixel? That way you lose only about 60 pixels on top and bottom? I rememebr you saying you had one, so do i, i was wondering what your plans were for it.

EDIT:just read that thread and it seems that is the way to go but this guy is using component cables? I thought i remember you sayinf component input was only 480p?

Last edited by a moderator:
You must have me confused with someone else as I don't own a 2405 and I am pretty sure the monitor does accept up to 1080i over component. I'd think you'd be better off sending it 720p though and letting the display upscale it from there as running 1080i would mean interlacing it on the 360 only to deinterlace it at the display and you'd likely be better off just keeping the signal progressive the whole time. As for the aspect ratio, yeah, you'd want to have 60 lines blank at both the top and the bottom to mantain a 16:9 aspect ratio on a 16:10 display.

kyleb said:
Eh? The comptuer I am typing this on is running 720p over VGA right now.

1. CRT monitors work just fine with 720P, it's LCD that have the trouble.
2. If you're using a video card to output 720P, it will buffer the image so it displays properly. I believe in nvidia's drivers(and possibly ATI), there's an option to output a true 720p or 1080i image to the monitor, as if it was a TV, and these often won't display.
3. Some monitors actually do support 720P as a res, but many don't seem to have the drive circuitry/programming for that particular res.

Huh, anyway I'm pretty sure the monitor in question does, and what you quoted was about resolutions over 480p though component anyway and the link in that quote has a pic of the monitor's onscreen display at 1080i it seems the 480p only thing was just some confusion somewhere.

kyleb said:
Huh, anyway I'm pretty sure the monitor in question does, and what you quoted was about resolutions over 480p though component anyway and the link in that quote has a pic of the monitor's onscreen display at 1080i it seems the 480p only thing was just some confusion somewhere.

To tell you the truth, this thread confused me a bit, as the 2405FPW was one of the LCDs I had thought had native support for 720P, typically it's the more standard resolution ones (1280x1024) that can't. It may not even be all of them, but for whatever reason some manufactuers don't include native support for 720P and thus the image doesn't display, despite 1280x768 being a supported and very close resolution.

Fox, you don't need "specific support" for any particular res in a monitor. If the res is within the monitor's horizontal and vertical synch rate limits, it'll be able to display it. So there's no such thing as 'not a VGA res' or anything. One could easily program - barring limitations of the output RAMDAC - for example 1111 x 999 @ 60Hz and it would show up on pretty much any modern display.

Guden Oden said:
Fox, you don't need "specific support" for any particular res in a monitor. If the res is within the monitor's horizontal and vertical synch rate limits, it'll be able to display it. So there's no such thing as 'not a VGA res' or anything. One could easily program - barring limitations of the output RAMDAC - for example 1111 x 999 @ 60Hz and it would show up on pretty much any modern display.

I've got a fairly good monitor (L90D+), and it won't display 720P whether sent through a transcoder or native 720P (not buffered) is sent from my video card. It will display 1280x720 as a programmable res in my vid card drivers, but that's not being outputted as 720P.

Then your monitor is a bit weird I have to say. :) It might be special-casing the component input if that is what you're using, but VGA and DVI are quite flexible on a fundamental level (as long as some "smart" control logic doesn't try to interfere) and really only care about the hsynch and vsynch rates. With VGA, the monitor doesn't even have any actual knowledge of the number of pixels per line. It could be one or 10.000, it has no way of knowing. It can look at the synch rates and try to make an educated guess that this looks like 800*600 and this looks like 1280*1024 etc, but that's it...

My monitor supports 720P over DVI just fine, but over VGA it brings up a "Resolution not supported" message.

Guden Oden said:

This is not necessarily true at all of a modern display. An analog driven CRT, sure, but with the digital processing happening in many pixel-addressable displays like LCDs and Plasma panels it's quite possible they will only accept a limited number of resolutions with a fairly narrow set of sync-rates for each one.

kyleb said:
Huh, I know my plasma will take just about any resolution under the sun over VGA.

Is it a TV or a PC monitor? Most plasma screens are usually TVs.

Secondly, a PC video card can 'make' any resolution work, by outputting a supported resolution and then adding borders or scrolling the image. (pc video cards can output images higher res than the monitor can support too, but it's still only sending a 1280x1024 signal or whatever the max the monitor accepts is)

Back