Detailed impressions from an X360 owner

Oh god. Media Connect looks so goooooooooood. When I first get the 360 I probably won't even play it first, I'll probably intigrate it into my network and start streaming stuff.

I was lucky enough to win a Xbox 360 from the Pepsi/Doritos BeFirstToPlay contest in Canada.
Now that I have had some time to play with it on my projector at 90 inches with 5.1 sound, here are some impresions.

Why do rich people always win the free stuff? :devilish:

Crusher said:
Why do rich people always win the free stuff? :devilish:
Because they often have more "get-up-and-go". They are the movers and pushers. You had to work hard to win the Xbox 360. That's a lot of MD to drink and even the email exploit involved being assertive.

The poor people just sit on their ass and wait for people to give them shit. The poor people said, "I'm not buying all that Mountain Dew!" "That email exploit looks too hard cuz you have to sign up so many emails accounts!" (lazy mofos)

Rest assured though that if the government was giving out free 360's, the poor people would still get them last since the government is such a monolithic and slow beauracracy. And when the free Xbox 360's finally arrived in January, they would all be Cores.

Damn, I hope you can turn that ID3 lookup off. I have folders with over 4000songs on my PC, and when that's enabled using my XBOX w/ XBMC the directory browsing is brutally slow...

Kameo: Elements of Power

So after I went through all the "boring" stuff, I sat down and popped Kameo in. This would be the first time I would see a 360 game in action. I avoided the Kiosks as I wanted to be a Xbox 360 virgin when I got my own.

Holy. Mother. Of. God.

This is the best looking game my eyes have seen. Period. End of story. There is no way you can claim this game isn't next-gen. It is. It ran smooth as butter in 720p and there wasn't a single jaggy that I could find. Hello anti-aliasing! The textures are ultra high res, the various normal mapping, bump mapping, parallax mapping, etc. makes it all come to life. Character models are highly detailed. The environment are gorgeous, both up close and far away. It's just a delight to look at.

I am sorry I can't provide any pics. You can't freeze the game, so stuff is constantly moving and it just blurs when the shutter is open for so long.

Anyway, let me talk about the gameplay for a bit. It's heavenly. You start out with 4 warriors: Kameo, Major Ruin, Chilla and Pummel Weed. Each of them has two main abilities and several special abilities and these all can be used in combos across multiple warriors. The gameplay is simple and intuitive in its roots...you find your fingers doing all the work without even thinking, but below this lies a great deal of depth.

This is what sets Kameo apart from other "similar" games I have played. It's easy to play, FUN to play, but it takes great skill to be a true master at it.

On the first level, there are tips scattered throughout that you can walk onto and press A to read them. As you go on it teaches you more special moves and combos you can do. For example, in one area you need to use Chilla and Pummel Weed to get past a gate. Chilla throws a spear to open the gate slightly just giving enough room for Pummel Weed to slide underneath. Another example with Pummel Weed is double tapping forward on your left thumbstick followed by RT+LT at the same time gives you a powerful double punch.

I haven't spent enough time with the game though, so this will be short. I am still on the first level!!

God, this just makes the wait even more unbearable!

He doesn't seem know what jaggies as as the game has no AA, I played a bit of the full version at EB erilier today though and it looks and plays great.

kyleb said:
He doesn't seem know what jaggies as as the game has no AA, I played a bit of the full version at EB erilier today though and it looks and plays great.

Or just your average console only gamer. I've seen this, most people who play only on consoles get used to the jaggies, and I guess the higher resolution fouls his eyes.

kyleb said:

the game def has aa . most likely 2x

Of course it doesn't get rid of all jaggies , no aa does .

I've played both the demo and the game quite a bit . The diffrence is night and day

Huh, I admit I didn't pay much attention as I had played the demo a few days back and I was there to check out CoD2 again but Kameo did looked the same from what I saw. I suppose I'll have to swing by again tomorrow and give it a closer look.

kyleb said:
Huh, I admit I didn't pay much attention as I had played the demo a few days back and I was there to check out CoD2 again but Kameo did looked the same from what I saw. I suppose I'll have to swing by again tomorrow and give it a closer look.
no jvd means the final release Kameo not the demo.

The demo has jaggies, the full game does not, evidently. I think he said he played the full release game on a demo unit.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25467

Last edited by a moderator:
On a 2405FPW and using the included component cables, the jaggies are very noticeable on in the release Kameo. Especially the early geometry instancing show-off scene.

Accord1999 said:
On a 2405FPW and using the included component cables, the jaggies are very noticeable on in the release Kameo. Especially the early geometry instancing show-off scene.

That screen is not natively 720p is it? Of course you'll see jaggies. On a natively 720p 50 inch Samsung DLP display I saw very few jaggies in the demo, and I'm sure all but a few will be eliminated in the final version.

Tap In said:
no jvd means the final release Kameo not the demo.

The demo has jaggies, the full game does not, evidently. I think he said he played the full release game on a demo unit.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25467
I'm talking about the full version to as they had it in the 360 when I got to EB, but didn't play much as I had them swap it out for the demo disk so I could check out CoD2 again so I will go back tomorrow and take a closer look.

Back