Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

This:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidth...nd-thorn-is-the-exact-wrong-move-for-destiny/
You never ever nerf a hard earned gun in a grindy game. It makes the player slap you in the face. What is th epoint of the whole grind if you are just gonna change the reward earned with my sweat and blood ? YOu never change the weapon, you add alternatives or tougher encounters.

Your decades of experiences running successful MMO's taught you this?

Also how is it hard earned when the other half the time whining is the game is just stupid dumb luck RNG? More like ill-gotten you just got lucky...I mean if we're being consistent but no cause Destiny. Before stuff was "just random, unfair" now suddenly it's "hard earned" LOL.

Nerfing stuff is the only way it works and the only way it's ever been done. Prove me wrong with a single relevant example from a recent high profile game. That's how it's done in wow, heck that's how it's done in Ttanfall, COD, Battlefield when there's a weapon balance issue. NERFS. ALWAYS. This isn't new. This should not surprise anyone.

Common sense it's easier to nerf an outlier than bring a whole complex PVE base up to some standard (and then buff everything else, all while hoping you dont overbuff).

Just get over it, it's funny how listening to Planet Destiny podcast people who actually know the game and aren't just "LOL BUNGUIE GREED LOL" drive by trollers actually are almost universally positive about the changes.

I'm fairly psyched, the objective is a more balanced, dynamic game. Where Gjallhorn as your high profile example is not the only relevant exotic in endgame PVE as it is now.
I remember a GDC talk by Blizzard’s Rob Pardo where he outlined a concept any MMO designer should be familiar with. “Always balance up,” he said, talking about both World of Warcraft and Diablo 2 (this was a while ago). If you find something in your game that feels overpowered, that’s good. Players will enjoy it. The solution is never to remove that feeling of power, but to power up other things in the game to meet it. When you weaken your most fun tools, you push everything into a mushy middle. Better to explode everything out into weird and new directions by enabling the players.

So if the problem was that players spent an inordinate amount of time with a few overpowered guns, the solution is to give us more overpowered guns to choose from. Or you can make new enemies and game modes that thwart an exotic gun’s special abilities in interesting ways (read: something besides just having a ton of hitpoints). It is, you could say, a balancing act. But it’s one where it’s a lot harder to mess up by enabling players instead of hobbling them.

I've never heard of this before. Feels like some retcon excuse to bash Bungie some more. As far as I know, there's no way that's the case in WoW, because of the same explanation above. It's too complex to buff PvE versus nerf outliers.

That's not even getting to PVP. Thorn's "problem" is it's a 2 shot kill. You want to buff everything to be an near instant kill to meet Thorn? Great thinking, game ruined. Never mind that, you think handgun should be sniping people from across maps? Time To Kill is obviously a fundamental concept in a multiplayer FPS and you dont want it too low (or you want it in whatever range you're targeting, at least). So you once again, factually cannot just keep buffing things to keep up with other things.

The solution is never to remove that feeling of power, but to power up other things in the game to meet it.

Of course this doesn't make any sense. Whether you nerf equipment or buff PVE (which I am sure WoW nor any other reputable game does NOT do) the outcome is the same. Either all your content is a pushover or it isn't. No game chooses the former. If we made all the enemies have 2X hitpoints so Gally isn't "overpowered" (if we accept that it is) anymore, you've done the same thing (except now made all the other 1000 guns even more useless, imagine the outcry). but these are all just more complicated, unintended side effect loaded, ways to do the same thing and that should be obvious to you. Be rational, think about the situation.

I do know with it's (first?) expansion Blizzard threw away all it's players months of grinding, completely obsoleting gear players spent vastly more time acquiring in many cases than anything in Destiny. (In fact, Bungie allowing ascension was very unusual and a direct response to players complaints, only now the intelligent ones have figured out it arguably creates more problems than it fixes so are complaining the opposite way, complaining always the bottom line) Yep, there's your poster child for respecting gamers time investment alright.

I also know WoW lost like 3 million subs last quarter, so whatever "Rob Pardo"'s doing, dont do that, evidently...

Last edited:
Cool new Destiny data site, speaking of OP weapons! Guardian.gg. I'll post some interesting ones :)

Here's for example, Clash for the last month.

656SINd.png

The primaries are interesting but not unexpected. I have been using Found Verdict as my shotty because I haven't bothered to reroll my part crasher or matador yet, so it's interesting to see lots of others also use it, did not know it was popular in PVP. Also, I am surprised BTRD-345, a machine gun, is the most lethal heavy. The 4 are launchers though. Also, we see here evidence of the Hunter Master Race :) Surprised so many using Dynasty as well, didn't know it was a thing in PVP (maybe noobs?)

POE 32+ for the last month

sL91ioE.png

Fatebringer, FV, and Gajally is EXACTLY my loadout on all Fallen sections so, yeah. Again surprised at the sidearm though, I'd long ago written sidearms off as basically useless. The amount of Dominance of Gally is high. The classes are almost exactly equal though, which is an amazing job of balancing Bungie did, especially since they basically balanced the classes in a vacuum pre release (have not tweaked them substantially since) and somehow got it fairly right. Although Warlock Self Res will always be OP :)

I guess I'd expect Black Hammer to be on there, I use it quite a lot on POE non fallen stuff. Basically most typically for Hive I go VoC/BH/Gally, for Vex I go VoC/void shotty/Gally and for Cabal VoC/solar shotty/Gally

"Raid"

w2mScN6.png

Again interesting, unsurprising. Except Red Death, which I imagine is for Crota health regen. Good old IB...great for oracles, DPSing Aethon, maybe Sunsinger ads cleanup and bridge cheesing some?

Finally TOO or top level PVP, Thorn's dominance becomes much more pronounced

09BnCZP.png

Last edited:
Interesting site. It's crazy how dominate Thorn's usage is. I think Bungie came down a little too hard on hand cannons in general. Thorn just needed a pretty significant nerf vs the other HCs.

As for Found Verdict in Crucible, notice how when you view the more 'hardcore' PVP match types (ie IB and then ToO) Found Verdict's usage drops vs Clash. It's not even in the top 5 for ToO.

Now that I've fully leveled up my Party Crasher and having used all of the other top tier shotguns (Matador, Felwinter, Judgement, Found Verdict), I still think Matador is the best shotgun for ToO or any mode where there's not a lot of 1v2+ situations. For everything else, I think Party Crasher is the best, followed closely by Judgement.

Found Verdict is also solid, but I still think it's the weakest of the group personally. However, I agree that it is the best PVE shotgun. Reason being, range isn't as important and there are a lot of encounters where you face several enemies at once, so fire rate and clip size matters more.

@Rangers the weapons are hard earned and even more HARDER because the randomness.

My anecdotes : I keep getting vex mythoclast and praedith sniper in VoG. After almost a year playing VoG, I finally got fatebringer.

I call that hard.

------

About nerf, battlefield 3 is the best in balancing. Bf 4 although bad, they still much better than destiny.

For example the planned altering of blackhammer white nail.

Battlefield series never did that. Yes they do disabled building destruction in bf4, but the c4 and rockets still works the same. They still able to chip off buildings/materials. Although it rather random in BF3 and super random in BF4. Except on the special objects.

Instead of nerfing whitenail to oblivion. Why not apply what dice done here? Change the environment and battle flow.

Change devil Walker to ACTUALLY WALK.

So it need more skill to trigger white nail.

Like in bf4 where destroying building need to be done by destroying specific thing. Instead of full freedom in BFBC.

Your decades of experiences running successful MMO's taught you this?

Also how is it hard earned when the other half the time whining is the game is just stupid dumb luck RNG? More like ill-gotten you just got lucky...I mean if we're being consistent but no cause Destiny. Before stuff was "just random, unfair" now suddenly it's "hard earned" LOL.

Nerfing stuff is the only way it works and the only way it's ever been done. Prove me wrong with a single relevant example from a recent high profile game. That's how it's done in wow, heck that's how it's done in Ttanfall, COD, Battlefield when there's a weapon balance issue. NERFS. ALWAYS. This isn't new. This should not surprise anyone.

Common sense it's easier to nerf an outlier than bring a whole complex PVE base up to some standard (and then buff everything else, all while hoping you dont overbuff).

Just get over it, it's funny how listening to Planet Destiny podcast people who actually know the game and aren't just "LOL BUNGUIE GREED LOL" drive by trollers actually are almost universally positive about the changes.

I'm fairly psyched, the objective is a more balanced, dynamic game. Where Gjallhorn as your high profile example is not the only relevant exotic in endgame PVE as it is now.

I've never heard of this before. Feels like some retcon excuse to bash Bungie some more. As far as I know, there's no way that's the case in WoW, because of the same explanation above. It's too complex to buff PvE versus nerf outliers.

That's not even getting to PVP. Thorn's "problem" is it's a 2 shot kill. You want to buff everything to be an near instant kill to meet Thorn? Great thinking, game ruined. Never mind that, you think handgun should be sniping people from across maps? Time To Kill is obviously a fundamental concept in a multiplayer FPS and you dont want it too low (or you want it in whatever range you're targeting, at least). So you once again, factually cannot just keep buffing things to keep up with other things.

Of course this doesn't make any sense. Whether you nerf equipment or buff PVE (which I am sure WoW nor any other reputable game does NOT do) the outcome is the same. Either all your content is a pushover or it isn't. No game chooses the former. If we made all the enemies have 2X hitpoints so Gally isn't "overpowered" (if we accept that it is) anymore, you've done the same thing (except now made all the other 1000 guns even more useless, imagine the outcry). but these are all just more complicated, unintended side effect loaded, ways to do the same thing and that should be obvious to you. Be rational, think about the situation.

I do know with it's (first?) expansion Blizzard threw away all it's players months of grinding, completely obsoleting gear players spent vastly more time acquiring in many cases than anything in Destiny. (In fact, Bungie allowing ascension was very unusual and a direct response to players complaints, only now the intelligent ones have figured out it arguably creates more problems than it fixes so are complaining the opposite way, complaining always the bottom line) Yep, there's your poster child for respecting gamers time investment alright.

I also know WoW lost like 3 million subs last quarter, so whatever "Rob Pardo"'s doing, dont do that, evidently...
Not hard earned? ill-gotten? What?
I know u like the game, all of us in this thread do, but my Gally/thorn/Hawkmoon/IB is not hard earned and I'll gotten? That's a totally new perspective! Have you forgotten all the bounties you had to go through to get some of these exotics, and then the mundane bounties you undertook to unlock their actual perks? I surely wasn't doing it for nothing, would have done something else more fun than killing 10 hive captains again n again if not for those weapons. I wouldn't be using void fusion rifles and toiling through a painfull PvP experience if not for that Thorn. I would instead have been enjoying PvP the way I like.(in fact that's what I did,I stopped being a slave for something that Bungie has anyways needed now). If anything RNG only delayed teh rewards and you are saying they ill-gotten?!?!! 9 months of playing to finally get an ill-gotten Gallarhorn. 6 months of playing to get an ill-gotten Hawkmoon ! No, no sweat at all! How many times I had to run Crota to just get that final Helm armour? RNG only delayed it, never bestowed any I'll gotten blessings !

No , don't make other weapons/gear exciting so that all don't gravitate towards one, just make the good ones worthless and then all weapons will be bland and equal ! No fun= all good for our players!

For IB, I had to make a new character, get another friend to help me through the night get those 5 more strange coins required to buy it because RNG never gave me an ill-gotten IB , lol ! It was hard work and we rejoiced when we triumphed but now it feels like a waste of life and time because they think the weapon is so good that people are actually working towards it ! Nerf it !!!!

These weapons are the actual legends of Destiny. Not that stupid emblem Bungie has put out ! There is no Destiny without the stories around Gallarhorn ,IB, Hawkmoon, Thunderlord, Fatebringer, VOG mess ups etc. That is Destiny! If that can be messed with , then what's the point ?

I had voiced this earlier too that why are the new dlcs not bringing any new exotics which can replace the vanilla weapons like Gallarhorn, IB and Fatebringer? It's not a matter of nerfing them, its a matter of not having any other weapon that's as exciting to use ! Why are still the vanilla weapons the goto weapons for everything? Because Bungie never brought anything fun in the dlcs(black hammer excluded). The problem isn't the weapons, its the symptoms they are curing. Problem is that Bungie never gave us anything to replace them with. That is where Bungie lacks. Where are the new legends? Nowhere, so I use my old ones! If anything, I am always excited to use something new, but they always fall flat.

It's so comforting to know, that now even the legends will fall flat ! Bravo Bungie!

Maybe Bungie did not plan other weapons to be as awesome as vanilla weapons? So they nerf everything down.

Heck, strangers rifle was an exotic before release.

Completely agree with this guy:

I don't even see GH as overpowered in high level content but that most other RL are clearly underpowered. Using GH in a PoE32 last week on this large servitor end boss in a 2-men team where the other guy died out of reach felt like shooting peanuts. I felt completely underpowered there.

Not hard earned? ill-gotten? What?
I know u like the game, all of us in this thread do, but my Gally/thorn/Hawkmoon/IB is not hard earned and I'll gotten?

Uhh, I've sat through millions of posts about how this game sucks because it's random, some people spend 10,000 hours and get nothing and another guy comes in and gets Gallahorn in ten minutes, and now all the sudden when it fits their purpose everybody is talking about their "hard earned" gear? WTH? You cant see a problem with that? You cant have it both ways. It's not hard earned gear it's random luck gear, we've established that.

I think they could reduce the amount of XP needed to level guns. This would solve some problems people have with gear being obsoleted, as it would be less time invested. I believe they may be doing that, as I heard the 2nd row perks or whatever will now unlock all at once in 2.0. However I dont know if it takes the same Xp as it did before to unlock them gradually, in which case of course it's not reduced XP. However if it truly is less XP needed to fully unlock a weapon I think that's positive.

I learned from reddit a new weapon part strategy...what you do is just buy from gunsmith (or however acquire, but buy would be easy) one of each kind of green gun, so primary/special/heavy. Equip them, then turn in a 5k bounty. They'll all be fully leveled and get you at least 3 WP's, and one of the 4-5 I did got me 5 WP's.

In the past I leveled so much crap I usually had 3 legendaries to level. But now I've slowed down a lot, I'm probably only leveling 1 gun at a time, so at least 2 slots are free.

I mean I've always known this strategy but just figured it too much hassle, and didn't know one bounty fully upgrades a green. This should be a nice help.

I've got 294 parts now though. You really use much less in HoW. Short of rerolling which I try to do only judiciously.

Uhh, I've sat through millions of posts about how this game sucks because it's random, some people spend 10,000 hours and get nothing and another guy comes in and gets Gallahorn in ten minutes, and now all the sudden when it fits their purpose everybody is talking about their "hard earned" gear? WTH? You cant see a problem with that? You cant have it both ways. It's not hard earned gear it's random luck gear, we've established that.
RNG and earning gear aren't mutually exclusive. For example, on xb1 it took me 500+ hours to get my first ghorn. I can say without a doubt that it definitely became work after having every other gun that I wanted except for ghorn. I was running the nightfall and vog 3x a week for a chance to get a ghorn. I liked doing vog for the most part but nightfalls were done only for the chance to get a ghorn. It certainly wasn't for the fun of running the same strikes over and over again. Whereas on the ps4 I got a ghorn on my second nightfall after 30 hours of play. Sure I didn't earn it on the ps4, but I definitely earned it on the xb1. I'm not saying it was hard, but the time was spent just the same.

I think I'm in the minority. Playing raid and nightfall is a hard job that has become annoying chore. So any random stuff came from it, is hard earned. Including those hard earned useless mote of light and duplicate legendaris.

The randomness add more to the hard earned aspect.

You can't just marvel in the game play to get weapon. You need to keep repeating them.

VoG ages really graceful. But other end game activities really don't age well at all. It's a chore.

That's why I keep glitching all the time for nightfalls, raids... Too bad I'm not a jerk enough to glitch my way to ToO.

No one is saying the game sucks, here, so please keep those arguments where ppl are complaining such.
Like is said in my earlier post too, you are forgetting about the exotic bounties. So, no,its not all RNG. And even after RNG, the perks still have to be earned. Saying that one didn't work on getting that Thorn, Hawkmoon,IB is hilarious, to be modest. Its like saying that Bungie has gifted you these weapons, your playing the game was not worthy of it ? BS. We played the game to get those weapons, so they are earned , whether by completing bounties or as rewards after activities.

Removing their perks does nullify our investment of time and life in it. How would you feel if your employer reduced your salary on the last day of the month, after you have worked for the whole month aiming for an exciting figure?

Bungie wants to make the weapons boring, its their wish but we losing a fun game is our loss, of our time, money and fun times!

Cmon release it on pc and the community will take care of it. Creating private lobbies and mods :D

imagine crota Endy with sword from start to finish. Aeeeeeeree

RNG and earning gear aren't mutually exclusive. For example, on xb1 it took me 500+ hours to get my first ghorn. I can say without a doubt that it definitely became work after having every other gun that I wanted except for ghorn. I was running the nightfall and vog 3x a week for a chance to get a ghorn. I liked doing vog for the most part but nightfalls were done only for the chance to get a ghorn. It certainly wasn't for the fun of running the same strikes over and over again. Whereas on the ps4 I got a ghorn on my second nightfall after 30 hours of play. Sure I didn't earn it on the ps4, but I definitely earned it on the xb1. I'm not saying it was hard, but the time was spent just the same.

Where were all you people back when I was arguing this???!!

I've agreed throughout, it's the others who have flip flopped from "stupid RNG" to "hard earned" when it suits their purposes.

Back