Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

I hate to admit it but I still have only ONE clear of Crota hard.

I keep getting in LFG groups that aren't that good, or give up fast. Besides I have not tried a ton.

But, it's hard! The oversoul at the end just, makes it always going to be fairly difficult. Especially if the swordbearer isn't on point.

Then I get in these groups that get confused or dont even know how to time the hits on Crota correctly to kill him on the oversoul. It's frustrating, probably half a dozen times I have been right there only for some stupid thing to go wrong at the very last second. And I dont run the sword.

Another problem is I typically end up raiding between like 3-7 AM, and the groups seem pretty poor at that time. I need to start raiding a little closer to prime time.

I really dont care, I have enough shards for my 2nd 32 now, I just want the shader on my 2nd character too.

Really on the verge of running out of things to do in the game. After I get my 2nd Crota clear, I'm probably just going to piddle around trying to collect exactly the weapons I want, and do bounties to level them for the next forseeable weeks. Probably run CE from time to time just for kicks and whatever oddball thing I might be pursuing, like a raid helm with orb health regen.

I decided I like LDR better than Black Hammer on Crota. It hits just a little less, but you get one extra in the mag and six extra in reserve, plus you get the armor piercing bullets that come in handy to shoot through barriers in a couple places, such as the swordbearer and the 2nd ogre sometimes.

Thus I typically run, Gallahorn, LDR, and Badger on Crota.

Alternately, I'd run Suros, LDR, and a legendary RL. Generally health is not enough of an issue to give up Gally, I'm pretty good at staying alive at this point. The alternate lineup is more something I switch too if I take heavy damage, until I recover it. With the unfortunate issue that it saps heavy ammo to switch.

I bought about 15 heavy synth with glimmer. Last resort but Xur doesn't have them. And I already probably used 4 or 5 on failed Crota runs this morning.

Since I think I'm on the verge of not running Crota's end as much anymore, I may pull up my 3rd char, armor him to at least 30/31, and just start running nightfalls 3X, since that's where you get the best guns in theory.

I will keep doing the heavy ammo exploit in Crota until Bungie gets Xur to sell Heavy ammo synthesis and more importantly fixes the bug that causes Heavy ammo to disappear after death.

That exploit is so annoying, takes forever on every wipe. Just go.

I wish you didn't lose huge amount of heavy ammo on switching heavies, as well. That however, is intended I believe.

Yeah doing Crota hard with randoms can be frustrating because it's harder to get people on the same page, and you can be stuck with shitty players. I'm fortunate to have 2 regular raid groups (my clan as well as others on my friends list), as well as other raid groups that invite me from time to time for help. I usually finish all 3 raid runs in the first day or two of the reset because it doesn't take long with a coordinated group.

I still haven't tried a Strike yet or the crucible either. I'm a level 28 Hunter.
I keep saying I am gonna try them, but I don't. I don't have a fire team so I would most likely play with randoms. Does communication play an important part in Strikes? Or can I get away with playing without a headset?

Yeah strikes are straightforward. Kill enemies if necessary and move on to the next marker on your map until you eventually reach the end boss. Strike bosses aren't complicated to kill either... they're basically just larger, bullet sponge versions of regular enemies.

Raids require communication and coordination as they're more complicated.

Yeah doing Crota hard with randoms can be frustrating because it's harder to get people on the same page, and you can be stuck with shitty players. I'm fortunate to have 2 regular raid groups (my clan as well as others on my friends list), as well as other raid groups that invite me from time to time for help. I usually finish all 3 raid runs in the first day or two of the reset because it doesn't take long with a coordinated group.

Lucky...it's really so much easier in a dedicated clan-type group?

I dunno, I dont play multiplayer much before and I literally had like two friends on Xbox before Destiny, and one of those was my sister, heh. Once Destiny came I started using LFG, I would just add everybody from a raid group if the vibe was good in that group. Course quickly I got to like 60 friends and had to stop that. Anyways for whatever reason, I haven't developed a regular raid group still (and probably never will).

Out of those 60 some mostly Destiny friends I notice quite a few dont even seem to play Destiny anymore, and etc. If I get on only maybe 6 or 7 will be playing Destiny it seems like. Which is to be expected I guess, lots of other games, netflix, TV, and life I suppose.

Part of it is I've always hated the whole "friends inviting you to random games while you're playing something else" thing, even way before Destiny. I'm just not wired that way I guess. Whatever I'm doing is what I want to be doing, and not interrupted. That's one reason I love LFG, it literally allows me to raid whenever the mood strikes me, down to the minute. I dont plan raids or anything, I just do them whenever. Usually at 3 AM too.

But yeah now I'm seeing the downside apparently. Which, I never had that much trouble with LFG groups on Atheon. Because I think Crota is a good deal harder. Again the oversoul mechanic is just something that's a hard limit and will never go away or become easy.

I have a feeling it's part luck too. I could have 10 clears by now probably easily, been close lots of times, and I would have a whole different opinion right now and be talking about how easy hard raid is. It just hasn't worked out that way.

But yeah I'm not that hard up to clear hard anyway, as far as loot, especially, now that I have enough shards for my 2nd set of 32 gear. Would like to get the shader for my 2nd though.

I dunno, I dont play multiplayer much before and I literally had like two friends on Xbox before Destiny, and one of those was my sister, heh. Once Destiny came I started using LFG, I would just add everybody from a raid group if the vibe was good in that group. Course quickly I got to like 60 friends and had to stop that. Anyways for whatever reason, I haven't developed a regular raid group still (and probably never will).

Out of those 60 some mostly Destiny friends I notice quite a few dont even seem to play Destiny anymore, and etc. If I get on only maybe 6 or 7 will be playing Destiny it seems like. Which is to be expected I guess, lots of other games, netflix, TV, and life I suppose.

Part of it is I've always hated the whole "friends inviting you to random games while you're playing something else" thing, even way before Destiny. I'm just not wired that way I guess. Whatever I'm doing is what I want to be doing, and not interrupted. That's one reason I love LFG, it literally allows me to raid whenever the mood strikes me, down to the minute. I dont plan raids or anything, I just do them whenever. Usually at 3 AM too.

But yeah now I'm seeing the downside apparently. Which, I never had that much trouble with LFG groups on Atheon. Because I think Crota is a good deal harder. Again the oversoul mechanic is just something that's a hard limit and will never go away or become easy.

I have a feeling it's part luck too. I could have 10 clears by now probably easily, been close lots of times, and I would have a whole different opinion right now and be talking about how easy hard raid is. It just hasn't worked out that way.

But yeah I'm not that hard up to clear hard anyway, as far as loot, especially, now that I have enough shards for my 2nd set of 32 gear. Would like to get the shader for my 2nd though.

I've had no trouble clearing HM Crota on the first to second try if I'm with a group that's experienced an have roles well appointed.

Doing it on the second try usually comes down to not having enough super energy/orbs on the first run to put down ward of dawn and arc blade. (you know, super gets emptied when you come fresh from orbit)

Other failures usually come down to network issues/bugs (like Crota standing waaay too early or Crota ignoring invisibility)

Sure it helps, but it's not that simple. Beating crota without several frustrating failed attempts doesn't require a regular group or clan, but more so a full team where everyone can carry their own weight. There are a few different groups of people I play with regularly, but these 2 are the groups I choose to raid with on a regular basis because everyone can carry their own weight and they all like to raid often too.

I've never used forums myself, but one of my buddies always does and invites me to come along sometimes. Our luck with messageboards seems to be 50/50... there's usually 1-2 weak links and/or there are too many people budding heads, which makes for a frustrating time.

It was the exact same for me. My friends list before Destiny was literally 3-4 of my personal friends that rarely play video games (don't know many gamers), and a few B3D members. Now I have 80+ through Destiny alone. All of this was through random invites from the tower, playing strikes, raiding often and with other people, then it all snowballed from there. I don't remember how I met 90% of the people on my friends list. But since Destiny seems to put players with other nearby players in the tower, many of the people I play with live very close to me. Half of my clan are from the same province as me here in Canada.

Last edited:
Yeah the tower is a mini matchmaking. That's why sometime it taking bloody long to fly to tower.

Btw my Internet seems getting better. Anybody on PS feel free to invite me doing anything. I already got all I wanted so I just do anything lol.

He probably meant Raid. Hard to believe he'd be 28 and never done a strike.
No I meant Strike. I'm level 28 from playing completely solo aside from community events. Glad to hear I don't have to chat with people I don't know to participate in strikes.

You just klik the icon and it will works fine without chat.

Buuuuut, people play with different play style. So be prepared

Have you tried https://www.the100.io ?

I use it for some time and made no bad experience. You select some preferred play time/age group/values and they put you into a clan which matches you the best. You can join public game sessions outside it whenever you want and build your own "friendship network/capable group" there too. Easy to use webpage. It should have been part of the Destiny game itself.

Might try that 100.io.

About strikes, after railing about how chat is needed in strikes way before I was endgame, now that they have it I cant even be arsed to turn it on. Non nightfall/weekly Strikes are pretty much on autopilot for everybody at this point. The few times I even do them (which is only to vanguard mark farm once in a blue moon).

What I do think would be helpful, is matchmaking in weekly and probably nightfall (but still leave the option to solo them). Raids are a big endeavor and a whole nother story, so it's not so sure matchmaking would be a slam dunk plus there, and LFG works well. But matchmaking would be a nice convenience positive to knock out the nightfall and weekly quickly without having to go on LFG.

Shreden you didn't even do the story strikes? Seems natural to do at least some strikes coming up the story missions while you are going from 0-20.

Tales from the terrible RNG, today I was farting around on Venus patrol and behold my eyes, a beautiful purple cube fell out of my just vanquished enemy and rolled on the ground like a glittering purple diamond! Haven't seen one of those in forever. Seriously, what's the drop rate on those, .0000000001%? Anyways, even better it was a weapon engram. And searching for better weaponry is pretty much THE endgame goal for me nowdays. So what does it turn into?

2 ascendant energy :/

Then, in the 2nd nightfall of the week my reward is...12 strange coins. Oh well, that one's not really so horrible I suppose. In fact I'll buy another Dont Touch Me with them, so it's the same as getting those as a reward I suppose.

Can anybody tell me why a raid helm and Dont Touch Me isn't a better setup than Symbiote and raid Gauntlets for PVE? I cant see it. Symbiote gives you one extra GG shot...but Raid helm has inverse shadow, more super energy from non guardian kills. It seems like 3 shots more often is better than 4 less often to me. Dont Touch Me also I've found really handy, and not just in the abyss, because usually when you happen to get meleed are the hairiest situations in the game, and a spot of invisibility is real nice to have there.

ugh i miss the time where there;s new hidden area found in destiny...

nowadays its cheese this new cheest that, new cheat.....

heck, even cheaters with Moonjump and No Clip did not bother to explore the blocked areas... The file extractor development on Xentax also abruptly stopped. Did bungie asked them to stop or something?

I can see MOTTM + raid arm being as good as Raid Helm + Don't touch me (except for the Abyss, where Don't touch me is infinitely superior). But Symbiote + Raid arm....nope. Bladedancer is pretty much the superior class for Crota's End and Golden gun is unnecessary for the entire raid except for one part i.e. Generating orbs after the Walls are down during the crystal part (Basically everyone would bring down the knights to low health and the hunters would kill them using golden gun to generate orbs for health). But apart from that I don't see why you'd even want to use the Golden Gun in Crota's End.

As for matchmaking, I definitely think Nightfall and Weekly should have Matchmaking, I find it weird that Nightfall is in Vanguard playlist.

As for raid and matchmaking, I see the point Bungie was trying to make because it is impossible to play a Raid without communication. However, it is still possible to communicate with randoms because anyone willing to play a raid is ready to sink in a few hours and also willing to communicate through a mic. The only problem I can see is people coming in to only play parts of it and leaving after they've played the part they wanted to play, one way to get around that would have been splitting the raid in three different sections for matchmaking purposes. In any case I am not too bothered about this, Nightfall and Weekly however..definitely !

Last edited:
Shreden you didn't even do the story strikes? Seems natural to do at least some strikes coming up the story missions while you are going from 0-20.
Huh If by story strikes you mean the strikes that have an icon on the planets then no. I didn't have a headset until about a week ago. I assumed chat would be a requirement for them. Now I have wondered into strike bosses while doing bounty missions on the cosmodrome. I have lucked out as far as legendary guns and armor by getting them from rare engrams, legendary engram's, and as rewards for vanguard rank ups.

Back