Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

Finally got my first exotic engram from Our! Guess what? It isn't for my class!
My Hunter is level 28 and my main character. The exotic was warlock gauntlets! I hate this aspect of the game!
But I love everything else.

Please do tell how being good in the game rewards you more in PvE in comparison to the other players playing with you. Finishing a raid or a strike without dying, doing more stuff, handling the relics etc won't provides you with better chances than others who don't. Unless you are talking about obtaining stuff from accomplishing something like the one chest you get by preventing the Templar from teleporting or the chest you get in CE by running through thrallway or the bounties that require you to not die which are different things altogether. I am saying that it doesn't matter how good you are in PvE, because your drop rates would be unaffected by your gameplay.

And when it comes to PvP why should it be ok to limit it to participation reward mostly because you suck at it ? especially when on the other hand you want all the advantages of having superior gear when Iron Banner's running. I just think people who are good at PvP should have a better chance at getting better gear than others who aren't. Similarly people who are good in PvE and players who handle more responsibility such as relic holder in VoG, person who doesn't dies or the person with highest kills or assists have a higher chance of getting better equipment than those who don't. (I am not saying bad players get zero chance, just less than the better ones)

I also do not understand why people who spend more time should get rewarded but people who are more skilled don't, it's limiting to these better players. You might say that if they do it'll result in worse players leaving the game as they feel the ceiling's too high, which is true. But I say it'll result in better players being frustrated and leave the game if they don't. There needs to be a balance between the two. For instance, if it took someone 10 days to do a Thorn bounty and it took me 1 day then I am already getting the advantage of owning a gun faster than other people, but if they limited me to earning just 50 points a day for the 500 void points that I have to make in crucible, then that's artificially limiting the game and the game seems to do that sort of thing a lot. If only the other things could be done in a similar way as the Thorn bounty then that'd be great, I don't necessarily mean as hard (because I know it was tough for many) but I mean in the similar veins where a better player can get access to the equipment earlier.

Well, I will never be one of the best players either in PVE or PVP, but I can be a valuable part of a team.

I'm not sure in PVE how you can even quantify who's better. Is it dying less (this may be the most important skill)? Killing more? Strikes that keep track of kills favor those that just rush as fast as they can into every encounter, and just sprint through the level. Because the first one into a group of trash enemies will get the most kills. That's no fun at all and doesn't make them better players either. It also doesn't differentiate between trash ads and more powerful enemy kills. A lot of times on bosses I see some people trying to inflate their kill numbers on weak ads, while I tend to focus on the actual job, killing the boss.

Also, how about the fact I have probably at least 3-4X as much time in the game as you? Shouldn't I whine how my bigger arsenal should give me more advantage over you (in both PVE and PVP)? But no, in PVP you're on the same level playing field as me, artificially.

Anyways, I dont really know of any MMO that's going to reward skill per se. I guess thinking, skill is kind of it's own reward. We all see better players and worse players and know who they are. In PVE, anyway, most players can contribute. I never see a high level player in a raid or strike that cant hold their own. It just doesn't happen really. Because you have to be decent and have a lot of hours in the game to get to the high light levels, so it takes care of itself.

Anyways, it's just on Reddit I always see your complaint framed in terms of PVP. "I dominated the match and some newb got the exotic, wahh wahh". I dont think PVP should reward the best players, I think it should reward participation. But at least it's a viable issue and something that can be defined, there, where I dont think it is in PVE. I dont think it's a legit complaint or even possible to enforce in PVE.

It's really neat to me the ingenuity of the players. Seeing strategies evolve in hard mode CE just from the first week.

Seems like the new best tactics are to pop a titan blessings of light bubble every time the team traverses what you might call "the pit". So, going to and from Ogre room. It makes a ton of sense because the bottleneck is usually people randomly dying. Also having a Titan pop a bubble over near the left boomers. And people staying on the ledge now when Crota moves right, much safer. Popping a bubble right at the start while not newish, is also of course helpful.

Although not yet widespread, it's possible now to take out hard Crota in just two swords as well (as Strange posted).

With these bubble strats I dont find myself needing to regenerate health much really. I dont loadout Suros anymore, instead keeping Gallahorn. If I happen to take a lot of damage, then I switch to Suros temporarily until I recover my health.

Last edited:
My Hunter is level 28 and my main character. The exotic was warlock gauntlets! I hate this aspect of the game!
You are buying a shard, not an item :)

Well, I will never be one of the best players either in PVE or PVP, but I can be a valuable part of a team.

I'm not sure in PVE how you can even quantify who's better. Is it dying less (this may be the most important skill)? Killing more? Strikes that keep track of kills favor those that just rush as fast as they can into every encounter, and just sprint through the level. Because the first one into a group of trash enemies will get the most kills. That's no fun at all and doesn't make them better players either. It also doesn't differentiate between trash ads and more powerful enemy kills. A lot of times on bosses I see some people trying to inflate their kill numbers on weak ads, while I tend to focus on the actual job, killing the boss.

Also, how about the fact I have probably at least 3-4X as much time in the game as you? Shouldn't I whine how my bigger arsenal should give me more advantage over you (in both PVE and PVP)? But no, in PVP you're on the same level playing field as me, artificially.

Anyways, I dont really know of any MMO that's going to reward skill per se. I guess thinking, skill is kind of it's own reward. We all see better players and worse players and know who they are. In PVE, anyway, most players can contribute. I never see a high level player in a raid or strike that cant hold their own. It just doesn't happen really. Because you have to be decent and have a lot of hours in the game to get to the high light levels, so it takes care of itself.

Anyways, it's just on Reddit I always see your complaint framed in terms of PVP. "I dominated the match and some newb got the exotic, wahh wahh". I dont think PVP should reward the best players, I think it should reward participation. But at least it's a viable issue and something that can be defined, there, where I dont think it is in PVE. I dont think it's a legit complaint or even possible to enforce in PVE.
I usually go defense with my titan when we are doing nightfall, survival is the most important skill in nightfall.

It's really neat to me the ingenuity of the players. Seeing strategies evolve in hard mode CE just from the first week.

Seems like the new best tactics are to pop a titan blessings of light bubble every time the team traverses what you might call "the pit". So, going to and from Ogre room. It makes a ton of sense because the bottleneck is usually people randomly dying. Also having a Titan pop a bubble over near the left boomers. And people staying on the ledge now when Crota moves right, much safer. Popping a bubble right at the start while not newish, is also of course helpful.

Although not yet widespread, it's possible now to take out hard Crota in just two swords as well (as Strange posted).

With these bubble strats I dont find myself needing to regenerate health much really. I dont loadout Suros anymore, instead keeping Gallahorn. If I happen to take a lot of damage, then I switch to Suros temporarily until I recover my health.

It's not widespread because it requires semi-perfect timing for 4 kneels. (you can only miss one R1 hit in the 4 kneels) or you need a 5th kneel.
Adding on to that it also requires the swordbearer to closely watch the enrage HP since you don't want to bail out of the 2 sword run (to return to 3 swords) but enrage him at the end of your second sword and effectively force the team to wipe.

4 kneels puts the pressure on the swordbearer to do 4 perfect combos, and 5 kneels puts the pressure on both the swordbearer to do "okay" combos and managing to put down hits on the third kneel (which is very tight on timing for the other 5 players).

Combining everything and it turns out that there is just not that many swordbearers that can 2 sword it with a good chance of success, so most groups simply 3 sword it as usual because it's a lot more relaxing. Although it does put more responsibility on the entire team to not fail and get killed while fighting Shrek and Fiona.

Last edited:
No I bought an exotic engram from Xur.
I understand they are Class random, but I wish this one thing would change about Destiny.

If you were guaranteed an Exotic item that would fit your class every time it would imho simply be to cheap, easy and fast. Exotic should be hard to come by.

I can kind of agree with shredenvain on that one. It's probably one of the top things people complain about too. It doesn't bother me that much but it is annoying. I think last week I got some exotic armor for the Titan out of one nightfall. Talk about a useless reward.

The only plus is I have ended up with a pretty good collection of Warlock and Titan exotics and legendaries should I ever roll one. Although of course vault space is still an issue.

Anyway main point of this post is I finally got Thunderlord (from the nightfall)! One of the only main guns I still desired and one that has long eluded me...

Thing seems like a MONSTER too, even at 302 and with a small non-field-scout-yet mag. One bad thing I noticed is the heavy ammo drops seem to only grant you like 40 rounds with it, which is crazy low by LMG standards, but I guess is because it's so powerful. I forgot what a slow fire high impact LMG can be like. Been using Ir Yut and before that Corrective Measure for so long.

I was reading on Reddit and dang you learn a lot about destiny there, that the "shoot to loot" guns can shoot purple drops repeatedly, thus every purple drop=7 rockets. This could be pretty helpful in CE I think. I need to get one of those too now. At least until they fix the heavy bug.

I guess now the new top of the exotics I want list goes to Red Death. I feel like I might have had that one a long time ago and shredded it. But anyway now I want it for hard Crota, although it's no biggie at all. I mean a lot of times you dont need health and on top of that I already have Suros.

Although dammit, I finally upgraded Suros to the 331 this week, and despite stacking TEN bounties and like two postmaster packages and nightfall and telemetry, I still dont have that perk all the way filled out this morning.

Last edited:
I can kind of agree with shredenvain on that one. It's probably one of the top things people complain about too. It doesn't bother me that much but it is annoying. I think last week I got some exotic armor for the Titan out of one nightfall. Talk about a useless reward.

The only plus is I have ended up with a pretty good collection of Warlock and Titan exotics and legendaries should I ever roll one. Although of course vault space is still an issue.

Anyway main point of this post is I finally got Thunderlord (from the nightfall)! One of the only main guns I still desired and one that has long eluded me...

Thing seems like a MONSTER too, even at 302 and with a small non-field-scout-yet mag. One bad thing I noticed is the heavy ammo drops seem to only grant you like 40 rounds with it, which is crazy low by LMG standards, but I guess is because it's so powerful. I forgot what a slow fire high impact LMG can be like. Been using Ir Yut and before that Corrective Measure for so long.

I was reading on Reddit and dang you learn a lot about destiny there, that the "shoot to loot" guns can shoot purple drops repeatedly, thus every purple drop=7 rockets. This could be pretty helpful in CE I think. I need to get one of those too now. At least until they fix the heavy bug.

I guess now the new top of the exotics I want list goes to Red Death. I feel like I might have had that one a long time ago and shredded it. But anyway now I want it for hard Crota, although it's no biggie at all. I mean a lot of times you dont need health and on top of that I already have Suros.

Although dammit, I finally upgraded Suros to the 331 this week, and despite stacking TEN bounties and like two postmaster packages and nightfall and telemetry, I still dont have that perk all the way filled out this morning.

Shoot to loot is my new desire, checking the gun sales man every time i am the tower.

I understand that frustration but sooner or later you'll use it with another character you'll build up. Think of it as future investment.

It's my go-to general purpose exotic weapon in most fire team strikes(ROC,Weekly30/Nightfalls). The most flexible situational weapon I know with the 180cap. But Field Scout is broken with Heavy Ammo perk as it gives 181 vs 180. Only exceptions to the rule is Cerberus Vae III, some solo strike situations when I need IB and GH is more efficient to deal with the 3 Wizards in the Summoning Pit.

I've got the Super-Heavy MG Void "Against All Odds"(more impact than TL) a few days ago but I'm really unsure about it. A not enabled version with the 26mag and around 76cap wasn't enough against some Hive runner event in the Rocketyard. Can't recall that I ever missed that one with a different layout. Wish the roll had Field Scout.

Last edited:
I was discussing loot with a friend regards another game the other day. The problem is that loot drops are always random, which is as bad an idea as randomly generated maps. What we really want is procedural drops, that analyse what you need and weight in favour. That, or a robust free trade option so people can swap random drops for things that are of value.

Bungie have said they don't want item trading, so they should make sure the drops are worth it to avoid disappointment. Random drops means there will be people who are less lucky with drops - it's a statistical certainty. The only defence would therefore be procedural drops. Diablo 3 has added this, I believe, as well as options to convert weapon attributes to more useful ones.

@Shifty Geezer
bungie said that they have implemented "logic" into the random system. So it will see what stuff you have and skew the drop.
personally i do think this change give better drop. Since TDB, the drop do become much better for me.

@RenegadeRocks
sorry im out on that raid. it was midnight and then i got kicked to orbit, i just give up.

@destiny
btw how much data this game uses every hour? my home internet is dead and currently i play using my phone internet.

Question for Strange:

When you run the sword, do you go for all powerful hits (RT on the Bone) or a combo hit (2-3 swipes with shoulder button followed by an RT hit)?

Some dudes were arguing about it in game, and since I never run sword, I don't know which is more effective.

Strange posted a video of his sword run a page back. He does the combo; specifically: R1, R1, R2, R1, R1, R2, R2. That is probably how to get the maximum DPS on a sword run, but you have to be absolutely perfect. And although 4 heavy attacks/kneel is less damage than the combo Strange uses, it's also enough to kill crota with 2 swords, but also requires perfect timing.

Unless you're a very skilled sword wielder, most people just use the heavy attack because it's the safest and easiest way to kill crota. Any decent sword wielder should be able to kill crota with 3 swords. 3 heavies/kneel will be enough (he will enrage after 15).

I tried to get some practice with the sword yesterday with almost all inexperienced HM raiders, with 2 31s and only 1 gjallarhorn in the group. Even with me, a very inexperienced sword wielder (and warlock I might add) was almost able to kill crota after only ~1 hour of playing. With a decent team, I have no doubt I could have beat him.

Hunter is the best class to run the sword, but my clan is almost all warlocks and we only have 1 guy with sword experience, so I'm trying to practice to become the backup guy if needed. Plus it's a hella fun to run the sword.

Last edited:
If you were guaranteed an Exotic item that would fit your class every time it would imho simply be to cheap, easy and fast. Exotic should be hard to come by.
Sure if the engram where to pop out of a Fallen's butt when they die, but this is an engram I purchased with 20+ motes of light. I actually like the randomness of the enemy dropped engram's. I have had 3 rare engrams end up as legendary items. That was a great surprise. My first legendary engram dropped from an enemy turned out to be a piece of Titan chest armor. I was fine with that. I just think when you purchase an expensive item from Xur, even if it is an engram it should be something useable by the character that purchased it.

@djskribbles
When you run sword as a Warlock (or Titan), do you still attack from bottom center like Strange does? I'm thinking it would be a lot harder because you aren't invisible. Can you still hide over to the side like he does too? Seems like Scrota would take you out as soon as he gets up. I guess you need to immediately jump off the platform after whacking him?

I mean I would imagine that it would be possible for a titan or warlock to run right up the middle like Strange did, but you would need an incredibly coordinated team with perfect timing every time. If you're a warlock or titan running the sword, you're better off doing it from the side (usually right), and you need someone to distract/block the boomers, whether that be with a sniper or titan bubble (preferably the latter).

What we did was I had a titan place his bubble with blessings of light right behind me as I was attacking crota. What my clan usually does is we have a titan place his bubble right up in the tower to block the boomers instead, which also works well.

Running the sword as a titan or warlock is a lot more difficult compared to a hunter because you have to time your jump up to crota with the other people taking crota's shield down, so you most likely won't have perfect timing every time. It makes things easier when you have a lot of firepower to take his shield down, but I didn't have that when I was running the sword.

Question for Strange:

When you run the sword, do you go for all powerful hits (RT on the Bone) or a combo hit (2-3 swipes with shoulder button followed by an RT hit)?

Some dudes were arguing about it in game, and since I never run sword, I don't know which is more effective.

Depends on what you want to do.

If you're absolutely perfect on timing, are so sure of what to do that you start yawning and doze off on CE runs and it's your teammates that usually mess it up and want max DPS, then it's R1 R1 R2 R1 R1 R2 R2.

If you're not that confidant with yourself and your teammates (for bringing crota to his knees ASAP), then I recommend six 3*R2 smashes over 3 swords.

trying to fit 4 R2 smashes to kill Crota in 2 swords is usually a big nono. It takes 18 R2s to kill Crota, and you'll see below how tight it is.

Sword 1 Kneel 1 R2 R2 R2 R2 (4)
Sword 1 Kneel 2 R2 R2 R2 R2 (8)
Sword 1 Kneel 3 R2 R2 (10) - there's usually barely time for a full third kneel before sword dissapears

Sword 2 usually gets only 2 kneels, due to the fact that swordbearer almost always spawns before Crota returns to center and it's very hard to control where he dies - thus much less probable to get a full sword run.

Sword 2 Kneel 1 R2 R2 R2 R2 (14) Enrage
Sword 2 Kneel 2 R2 R2 R2 R2 (18)

It's not undoable but I highly recommend against it. You can basically miss 1 R2 if you manage to get 3 R2s in the third kneel.

Also, R1 R1 R2 is much easier to time than 4 R2s if you delve into the mechanics of it.

To summarize: if you're a hotshot and you can complete the combo with ~80% reliability then R1 R1 R2 R1 R1 R2 R2 combo is the way to go. Fully completing the combo will leave jaws dropping, like the way I took off 70% health in one sword.

To jog memories...

In this video I did 5 R1 R1 R2 combos and 3 R2s. on the first sword.
Damage numbers are
7,201, 7,201, 12,601, 7,201, 7,201, 12,601, 15,301
7,201, 7,201, 12,601, 7,201, 7,201, 12,601, 15,301
7,201, 7,201, 12,601, 15,301

For a total of 180918 HP taken off. Crota has 261000 ~262000 HP according to my videos
so that's ~69% health gone in one run.

HKqUOTe.jpg

If you're not that sure you can do that then please play it safe for the sake of your teammates' heavy ammo synthesis. Do R2 R2 R2 combo and push it to the third sword. There's no hurry to kill him on the second sword now since everybody knows how to deal with Shrek and Fiona.

Last edited:
Back