Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

I'm not even considering buying a vendor helmet, considering it will probably only drop in the hard raid like VoG. I'm just gonna upgrade my pre-TDB exotic helmet to the new light level and that should bring me up to 31.

The vanguard scout rifle isn't too bad. 20 bullet clip (actually 19) and similar stats to VoC (which is what I used exclusively since I got it). The faction/vendor scout rifles no longer have field scout perks, so the vanguard one is the best IMO. It will do for now.

Hopefully raid gear drops more often for me. I know at least 6 people on my friends list already have CE raid gear. One guy already has 2 pieces. It better not take me 16+ raids to get my first piece.

I know you guys are busy geeking out on your 2923 lvl weapons or whatever. But the game is discounted on psn today and I downloaded the demo - which I just found out is the full game, more or less. Great production but... It's not gripping me. At all. Especially after playing Far Cry 4, this feels like the maps are simplistic and boring, the enemies completely retarded and there's no sense of wonder, in the way that at least in FC4 I had loads of ways to go about killing guys and finishing a mission. Here it's basically, walk up, shoot and go.

Can anyone try to convince me why I should upgrade to the full game? It feels so boring and without any meaning to what I'm doing at the moment...

Last edited:
^ If you like Diablo kind of games, this will hook u. If you don't, then don't buy it. its not a regular shooter in terms of structure, thats for sure.

I know you guys are busy geeking out on your 2923 lvl weapons or whatever. But the game is discounted on psn today and I downloaded the demo - which I just found out is the full game, more or less. Great production but... It's not gripping me. At all. Especially after playing Far Cry 4, this feels like the maps are simplistic and boring, the enemies completely retarded and there's no sense of wonder, in the way that at least in FC4 I had loads of ways to go about killing guys and finishing a mission. Here it's basically, walk up, shoot and go.

Can anyone try to convince me why I should upgrade to the full game? It feels so boring and without any meaning to what I'm doing at the moment...
Destiny is more fun playing with others. Doing challenging strikes/raids with friends (or even randoms), chasing after rare loot and leveling/building up your character is what makes Destiny fun. Playing the Vault of Glass raid are some of the best gaming moments I've ever experienced. And I've put hundreds of hours into Destiny... more than any other game in a LONG time.

Unfortunately the 'story' is crap and you are forced to do a large chunk of the story missions if you want to do the raids or more challenging strikes.

I'm not even considering buying a vendor helmet, considering it will probably only drop in the hard raid like VoG. I'm just gonna upgrade my pre-TDB exotic helmet to the new light level and that should bring me up to 31.

The vanguard scout rifle isn't too bad. 20 bullet clip (actually 19) and similar stats to VoC (which is what I used exclusively since I got it). The faction/vendor scout rifles no longer have field scout perks, so the vanguard one is the best IMO. It will do for now.

Hopefully raid gear drops more often for me. I know at least 6 people on my friends list already have CE raid gear. One guy already has 2 pieces. It better not take me 16+ raids to get my first piece.

Yeah, I already noticed so many people talking about getting raid gear. Considering most people are probably only picking up 1 or 2 loot stops on a normal raid so far, it seems too much. They probably did dumb it down because of all the complaining :/

It wasn't hard to get gear in the old raid, running hard on three chars I quickly had like ten of every kind of raid armor. Thats why it's really hard for me to believe some people just never get any...I dont see how the same loot engine can treat me one way and others another. I really just dont believe it. It's almost 100% likely the loot is the same for everybody, and there's no way to not get gear. There's also no way bungie would want to make raid armor NOT a very regular drop.

What I tend to think is people who talk about running so many raids and not getting gear, are exaggerating. It's the same as so many other tall tales in life or Destiny. If you say you did 16 raids, you probably only did parts of ten, all on normal, so it amounted to like 5 normal raids, or something, in my mind. Which is STILL hard to believe somebody could run 5 normal raids and get zero gear, but at least kind of plausible.

Plus people are in such a rush to bash this game and it's loot system, which is another force that's going to make a lot of them fabricate things.

Not picking on you, you certainly seem a very level headed and reasonable poster.

Granted I was running the hard raid on 3X characters for a while there.

Heh, I was just thinking the opposite, watching some Far Cry 4 vids today and wondering how anybody could enjoy such a dead lifeless world, and what is the point?...I worry it's going to be hard to go back to traditional single player games after Destiny. Part of the reason I haven't got MCC yet.

Last edited:
I purchased the game at release and didn't like it at all. Got to level 14 or something and totally lost interest in it altogether.

I don’t understand what people find so interesting about it, there’s no skill involved, it’s all based on the amount of time you can pump into it. I like games where I can whack it on for a few minutes and actually feel like I’ve accomplished something. Not a game where I have to peer into a cave from 100m away and shoot constantly respawning enemies and in doing so I become better at it… I mean, really?!

Some people just like the grind. If you’re not one of those people, then I doubt you’ll enjoy it either.

I purchased the game at release and didn't like it at all. Got to level 14 or something and totally lost interest in it altogether.

I don’t understand what people find so interesting about it, there’s no skill involved, it’s all based on the amount of time you can pump into it. I like games where I can whack it on for a few minutes and actually feel like I’ve accomplished something. Not a game where I have to peer into a cave from 100m away and shoot constantly respawning enemies and in doing so I become better at it… I mean, really?!

I figure some people just like the grind. If you’re not one of those people, then I doubt you’ll enjoy it either.
Ehh, you haven't played nearly enough to make these statements. There's a lot of skill required to play the challenging strikes (nightfalls/higher level strikes) and a lot of teamwork and communication is required for the raids.

I know it may not make sense when Bungie said that the game really begins after level 20, but it's true. The grind to level 20 is the worst part of Destiny, but it's necessary.
Yeah, I already noticed so many people talking about getting raid gear. They probably did dumb it down because of all the complaining :/

It wasn't hard to get gear in the old raid, running hard on three chars I quickly had like ten of every kind of raid armor. Thats why it's really hard for me to believe some people just never get any...I dont see how the same loot engine can treat me one way and others another. I really just dont believe it. It's almost 100% likely the loot is the same for everybody, and there's no way to not get gear. There's also no way bungie would want to make raid armor NOT a very regular drop.
I don't know why it's so hard to believe. Are you saying I'm lying? :)
I've completed the VoG close to 40 times, including at least 8 times on hard. And this isn't even including partial completions.

This is my combined raid gear drops: 3 gauntlets, 2 chest pieces, 1 helmet and 2 boots. It took me 16 runs on normal to get my first piece, and another 6 runs to get a chest piece and gauntlets. It took me 2-3 runs of the hard VoG to get the helmet.

Last edited:
Yeah definitely Pre-20 it's a traditional grind, kill stuff, get XP until the next level. Brute force.

After 20 your options open up and you can tackle progress in so many different ways.

Although you still get the social aspect and it's still pretty great IMO. I mean I still enjoyed the game a lot pre-20, but it's kinda a minor prelude. Getting to 20 is like 12 hours, and I have 250+ in the game.

I know it may not make sense when Bungie said that the game really begins after level 20, but it's true.

I really don't have the stomach to persist with the repetition that this game offers.

It’s great that there are guys that enjoy it, but honestly, it will never work with me. I have zero interest in trying to convince myself that the game gets better. I put a bunch of hours into it, I got to several planets and completed missions that were above my ‘level’. I just find it infuriating that I can’t pass to certain areas of the maps because I’m not a high enough level. My brain is good enough to defeat these enemies, only the game doesn’t consider my bullets as powerful enough yet. I have to play for a bunch more hours, then it will decide that it’s a good time to play again. Really, really not for me at all.

That's every good RPG imo. I despise RPG's that do the scaling difficulty thing (I think Skyrim, Morrowind do it). I want measure my progress against a consistent yardstick. Like way back in FF 1 on the NES, how it was fun to go back later and obliterate early enemies that were once extremely difficult. That's the point of the games imo! It's the same horrible as rubber band AI in sports or driving games. Like remember NBA JAM? You could never win by a large margin against the CPU in NBA Jam. It would just start cheating.

Actually Destiny kind of does a hybrid level scaling system. Even level 1-3 enemies can be dangerous in large enough numbers to a level 30. However in general, they are quite easy to demolish if they are more than a couple levels below you. So it doesn't go purely by level, but OTOH if you are many levels higher you will have a huge advantage. I actually think it works great, because you get the benefits of feeling suitably powerful, but mowing down low level chaff is never completely unenventful either.

Some people just like the grind. If you’re not one of those people, then I doubt you’ll enjoy it either.

Shooting into a cave? Yeah right on!

When i was done with the sad excuse for a story i went into strikes, and missions. Sure some of the missions are pretty easy and it can be considered "work", but imho they give relatively quick results and combined with bounties you quickly gain marks. Which can be used to buy gear. The same with strikes, there are random drops, there is marks and it's pretty fun. It's only as easy as you make it (in the start at least). I had a fantastic time with these strikes, being just able to survive through strikes that took maybe an hour to finish. And slowly but surely raising the difficulty along with my lvl. Along the way i went from Striker to Defender to last longer, i found out how to mix the correct damage type weapons with the encounters. Ehmm what i am trying to say, you have no idea whatsoever what makes Destiny work and gives that itch the fans needs to scratch. Imho they were able to make the "grind" fun, if some players decides to try and cheat the game by shooting in caves, or doing other things that could cut short the next gear upgrade, so be it, it's their choice. I personally haven't had so much fun with a FPS since quake.

I like a good RPG like the next guy but Destiny just isn't giving me much of a reason to actually grind or do anything. It's just not that much fun to kill people compared to FC4 - for me.

"inthe way that at least in FC4 I had loads ofways to go about killingguys and finishing a mission. Here it's basically, walk up, shoot and go"

actually destiny goes further. Destiny will punish you for finishing missions using your own strategy.

So if you got a sure fire strategy, then lots of people also do the same thing, bungie will forcefully disable that strategy. You will need to find out new strategy and keep doing the cat and mouse race.

@repetitive and area blocks.
Play with friends and it won't become annoying.

@story
It is awful. It also got even worse in the new dlc. From what I read, on the new dlc, suddenly one important story character will practically disappear from the story without any reasons.

@tranner do you still have room for me to join the raid?

Does the new DB raid favor a specific elemental damage type? I haven't unlocked it yet due to the goddamn tedious mandatory story missions (how many of them are there, anyway?). Also, is it worthwhile to do the Eris bounties? Doesn't look like she sells anything worthwhile.

I have also put hundreds of hours into Destiny but my opinion is still the same. It's not a good game. But it's easy to get into, just sink some time into it and relax or get high tension depending on what you do. No thinking. Just getting into trance or depending on mode a lot adrenalin for some extended time. It's purely designed to get people addicted sub consciously.

Its story sucks. The game's objectives and world building isn't there to create some immersion with the world. It only builds through repetition. To me it's the modern form of Galaga as a FPS and occasionally co-op. A summer popcorn movie you have fun with in a shallow way. A hollow candy stick. It could and should have been so much more. What I expected from it was a big open world where people can roam around, explore, real meaningful exciting loot and casually meet to deal with challenges.

If I would start now with the current looting I doubt I would have put the time into it. Original Diablo3's felt a lot more gratifying to me.

P.S. I have a Hate/Love relationship with the game.

Yeah, I'd agree Destiny isn't a very good game overall. For me, the best part is teaming up with people and raiding. The amount of communication, strategizing, and teamwork necessary is both satisfying and painful. The problems are: you have to go through a mind numbing grind to get to lvl 29-30, where you really need to be to be effective in the raids, and the absolutely shitty loot/reward system. This game is downright unfair at times with regard to it's terrible RNG system. I have never received a worthwhile weapon from a drop, and I haven't even been able to buy one. And now all of the so-so ones I built up are worthless, so I have to start over. The weapon drop system/availability situation is the absolute worst part of the game for me. I think it's almost inexcusable for a shooter really.

The problem with loot games in general is that people will complain if it's too hard to get the good items, and they'll complain if it's too easy to get good items. If you have a lot of items that are relatively equal, people will say, "This is too easy. I can't get anything better than this, so I don't have a reason to play anymore. I'm just sorting through garbage." If you make it really hard to get a good item they'll say, "All I want is the good item, but it's impossible to get. It's stupid. All I'm doing is grinding." On top of that, you have the problem where you have to scale the game across a variety of items. If you go for a lot of random variation, you get the effect like Borderlands where an area is very hard, and then you get a new gun and suddenly everything is too easy. Destiny goes the other route where you have very few top-line items that are named, but then if you don't have them the game can be unforgiving. You basically need the items and they can be very hard to get. I think overall, the Borderlands approach works a bit better, but loot games in general have a big problem with difficulty scaling and reward.

I just want a goddamn Ice Breaker, then I'll shut my pie hole and be a happy little Guardian.

It's so easy for this game to make me happy, yet it fails again, and again, and . . . .

I'm not sure if the following has been posted here, but it might provide additional views to help you make up your mind -- http://dorkshelf.com/2014/12/10/thought-bubble-bad-dates-with-destiny/

Back