Dell 2405 - wow!

Windfire

Regular
Well, I received my Dell 24" WS LCD today. $982 delivered.

This is hands-down the most awesome LCD I've ever seen. 1920x1200 is a perfect fit for this monster.

Here are some observations based on 1 hour usage:

1 - No dead "on" pixels. In a black screen I have no pixels stuck on. I'm going to do a more thurough search for dead pixels or sub-pixels.

2 - 1920x1200 looks like a dream on my 6800 GT. Wow.

3 - Running HDTV (Comcast) into the component was awesome. It looked good in "Fill" mode and even looked cooler in 1:1 (1920x1080). The "InHD" channels looked superb.

4 - The 4-port USB2 hub and 9-in-1 reader installed automatically and work great (of course I've only tested SD Memory).

5 - I'm going to use 1:1 scaling. For those games that I can get to run at 1920x1200 all is great. Otherwise I'll use 1600x1200 which is roughly the same size as a 20" LCD (with black bars on left/right).

I'm now going to do some testing with games. First is HL2 at 1920x1200.

Dell hit a home-run with this monster.

Later,
Steve

Okay, I've done a pretty thurough dead pixel or sub-pixel scan.

I've found one anomoly--and it is truly tiny. I have one pixel that shows a light-green when the background is WHITE. It is in teh bottom left corner. You REALLY have to search to find it.

Half Life 2 - 1920x1200 - Awesome indeed. It runs very nice. I'm using 8x AF and 2x FSAA. Ran nice and smooth.

Of course, I have lots more tests I would need to do.

Later,
Steve

They say that the ghosting is minimal, but I sure don't have the money to waste/spend right now :p

p.s. I don't mean it is a waste if you have the money, just that I would have ot go into debt and it aint worth that.

I too very much like my 2404. Got mine for $900 shipped 2-day with no tax. :) I was going to run some benches comparing my 2005FPW to compare how much of a frames hit it took from 1680x1050 to 1920x1200. Just havent done it yet.

fallguy said:
I too very much like my 2404. Got mine for $900 shipped 2-day with no tax. :) I was going to run some benches comparing my 2005FPW to compare how much of a frames hit it took from 1680x1050 to 1920x1200. Just havent done it yet.

I was considering getting the HP 23" for like $1599. This is an amazing monitor for an amazing cost. Wow, I got it for $899 too, but Washington state tax really sux (8.x%).

Regarding ghosting... I've noticed ZERO ghosting. It's amazing for gaming.

5 - I'm going to use 1:1 scaling. For those games that I can get to run at 1920x1200 all is great. Otherwise I'll use 1600x1200 which is roughly the same size as a 20" LCD (with black bars on left/right).

Cant the panel interpolates the pixels and run on lower resolutions? Or you just prefer black bars?

My laptop runs at 1920x1200. :p

I paid a lot for that. With good eyes, it's worth it, ESPECIALLY if you write any sort of code.

digitalwanderer said:
Are there ANY good gaming monitors for under $250? :oops:

For 2x that, Ill sell you my 2005FPW. :) Shipped even!!

edit, here is a pic comparing the two. Pretty big difference to me.

24-1.JPG

Nice setup Fallguy!

One thing that just kills me about the picture though; you have an immaculate desktop/work area that looks totally neat and organized, 'cept in the bottom right-hand corner of the picture where there is the classic hidden tangle and jamble of cords/cables/surge protectors tried vainly to be tucked away. :rofl:

I think I could make some cash selling small custom cabletray boxes just to hide cable messes in....

I havent seen any backlighting, but I havent really looked for it either. Contrast seems great to me, but Ive only had it on a few hours.

Yeah, my cables are bad. A month ago they were all nice and neat. I had another desk just like the one I use now, but in an L-shape. I tied off my wires under the desk, all the way to the outlet.. but when I had to take the desk out, I just let it go. I keep on meaning to tidy it up, but.. bleh. The blue one is the latest, its to my PS2. I didnt really care how it looked, just wanted to play online. :)

I am trying to benchmark some games now, but I dont recall if you can do Farcry without a program? And old HL2 ones dont work, as they are a different version. I found a few benchmark utilities such as Bench 'em All, but they only do 1600x1200 as the highest. I was going to try and compare the res'.. but it may be harder than I thought.

May I ask you how you got that pretty thing for $900? Unless you bought a system from Dell at the same time.

I've been searching for a 1920X1200 capable LCDs for some time, and for that price, I'd get one in a heart beat even if it's a Dell.

Breasts said:
May I ask you how you got that pretty thing for $900? Unless you bought a system from Dell at the same time.

I've been searching for a 1920X1200 capable LCDs for some time, and for that price, I'd get one in a heart beat even if it's a Dell.
I believe Dell just started selling them at that price last week, there was a thread about it where a whole bunch of people seemed all excited.

I wasn't, I can't be. Hell, even $200 for a monitor seems like a fortune to me.
(I picked up two Trinitrons last year for $100 that me and my wife have really enjoyed....I'm godawful cheap. :oops: )

Dell has had them for sale, for like $860 with coupons and such. I got it from an individual however. He has a good Dell contact, and I got it for $900 shipped 2 day air, and no tax. Which was HUGE for me, my tax is 9.25%.Even a good price from dell would add on $80 or more from tax. I despise paying tax anymore for online purchases. :mad:

NIB said:

Cant the panel interpolates the pixels and run on lower resolutions? Or you just prefer black bars?

Well, I prefer native resolution. 1600x1200 is really close (4:3 aspect instead of 16:10) with both sharing the same height (1200)..

Yes, it certainly interpolates as an option but I'll only fall back to that if necessary--which will be the minority of games (ie: those that run under 1280x1024 for example).

Breasts said:

First, it always helps to ask. :) Second, if you go to HardOCP forums (Display) you'll find a giant thread on this very topic. Lots of Dell SB reps are giving out this deal.

In my case, a friend and I both got it for $899 + taxes from our Small Business Sales Rep--simply for asking what the best he can do for us.

I've seen others get it for $860 even.

P.S.: I've played a half dozen games in 1920x1200 and they are awesome (Doom 3, Half Life 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, Serious Sam 2). I've also tried FarCry but it's a little bit too choppy.

Later,
Steve

fallguy said:
Dell has had them for sale, for like $860 with coupons and such. I got it from an individual however. He has a good Dell contact, and I got it for $900 shipped 2 day air, and no tax. Which was HUGE for me, my tax is 9.25%.Even a good price from dell would add on $80 or more from tax. I despise paying tax anymore for online purchases. :mad:

15% tax here .. :devilish:

Back