Dead Nation PSN game by Housemarque

whome0

Newcomer
Here is a video of the next Housemarque game, maker of Super Stardust. Nice lightning and explosion effects.

Dead Nations zombie shooter
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/18/dead-nation-new-ps3-exclusive-from-super-stardust-devs/

Can you survive the zombie virus?

From the developer of the popular and successful Super Stardust HD, comes another action packed blaster - this time its infectiously addictive gameplay is more gruesome...

A war is raging over the planet which has left it in chaos and ruin. A zombie virus has rapidly spread through the human population across the globe, leaving it with one hope - you. Among the few capable of fighting back and surviving the mayhem and destruction, your mission is to take on the zombie masses and come out alive.

Do you have what it takes to resist this Dead Nation?

• Pit your wits against hundreds of zombies on screen
• Blast your way with a friend in on or offline co-operative play and rank yourself with online leaderboards
• Track your zombie kills with the daily online world map and reduce the zombie virus with other Dead Nation players in the country you're playing

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems good to me.

Hopefully it'll have good co-op play and some interesting features other than robotron gameplay. Maybe a Left 4 Dead style mission structure?

Oh, noes ... not more zombies. :(

However, it looks fantastic.

Kinda tired and worn-out concept... Zombies ffs... Not again!

But this time it's Housemarque zombies. Maybe that's enough of a difference to make it fun. Super Stardust's my favorite all-time downloadable game.

The footage looked extremely similar to Zombie Apocalypse. It's like everyone and their brother decided to make the same zombie shooter at the same time.

Oh, well. Not like there wasn't a wave of abstract Geometry Wars style shooters a while back. I'm sure everyone who played those games secretly wished all the polygons were instead zombies.

I hadn't noticed Zombie Apocalypse was 4 player. I guess one problem these developers have is they don't know what other developers are working on. If Housemarque and Konami had got together before starting development and found out they were creating the same game, perhaps one would have created something else entirely?

[strike]4 player split screen![/strike] Edit: Scrub that, I'm confusing it with the Gravity Whatnot game. Nothing shows multiplayer yet.

The trailer is well woth checking out for the explosions. Most realistic flame-clouds I've ever seen!

The game was at E3, but almost no-one reported on it. I heard some impressions from one guy on one podcast (forgot which, maybe 4guys1up) where the guy didn't even know this was by Housemarque (no mention of that name or Super Stardust) but he's pretty positive about the game regardless, only lamenting the (current) lack of online-coop.

I'm still really looking forward to this, even if just for seeing how it ends up technically (still don't care about zombies). There was rumor the game would be out in July, wonder if that's still happening or if maybe the game is getting a 3D treatment as well first?

EDIT: there should be an E3 trailer on PSN as well (Dead Nation Be Scared E3 Trailer, up since 15/6)

I does look really cool, but I'm just so sick and tired of zombies.

I don't know if it's just the current success of L4D, but honestly, Zombies have been with us for AGES in videogames, I really don't know why people would get tired of them.

Either way, would it really matter if the enemies were just mindless aliens or some other enemy? It still plays the same, only changing the aesthetic and story (of which I'm sure there's not much).

Since its the follow up to SSHD from Housemarque, its a day 1 buy for me.
I hope it got online coop, thats the one thing I missed the most about SSHD.

Many people want splitscreen, I prefer online coop :)

Online coop for this would be great, but it really didn't fit for SSHD and would have been really difficult to do. I'll be happy either way for this title since I'll have people to play with, lol.

I don't know if it's just the current success of L4D, but honestly, Zombies have been with us for AGES in videogames, I really don't know why people would get tired of them.
There's been a glut of them, and the art-direction is very uniform across titles because there's only really two ways to portray zombies - realistic gore and cartoony. So I can see the reason for the waning interest in zombies, especially this sort of Robotron shooter where there's already a title or two, much as there's can be waning interest in modern and sci-fi FPSes.

Still, the game's visuals are spot on. Lighting is excellent, and the explosion is terrific. May give this a look.

Back