Days Gone (Sony Bend) [PS4, PC]

Yeah, but they are not longer making AAA games [for Sony or anyone else]. They are supposedly working on a big multiplatform game for years, but not one bit of info about it was released so far.

Some stunning shots on the Pro stolen from Era.
M9zqzQR.png

wyruK2q.png

The detail level, texture, foliage density, shadowing, AO are way above RDR2 imo, I didn't know Bend studio is such a graphics pusher :).

A pretty apocalypse for sure. Full reviews land today at 1pm BST so we'll know how good the actual game is.

I'm managing my expectations. Dying Light was an amazing open world zombie suvival crafting game and the PS4 metacritic is 74%. :runaway:

A pretty apocalypse for sure. Full reviews land today at 1pm BST so we'll know how good the actual game is.

I'm managing my expectations. Dying Light was an amazing open world zombie suvival crafting game and the PS4 metacritic is 74%. :runaway:

Dying Light was awesome, these days I tend to prefer reading gamers impressions - reviews are nice but generally I watch a couple of gameplay videos (to see if I like the 'look' of it) and then read some forum impressions to seal the deal (and ask any questions I have before purchase!). Reviews are sometimes handy but as above not a great indicator.

Not getting the best reviews but I expected it, first big AAA game made by small team. In all my years playing games it's very rarely a dev hits it out the park there first big game

Yeah, bit of a shame...but I'll still seek out the gamers impressions, I had seen some good feedback going into today and 72 Metacritic isn't far off Dying Lights 74!

Last edited:
That's lovely. What is this screen space shadows and why am I just only hearing about this now?
Basically dynamic shadows casting on tiny little incidental objects near you when the light source is not obscured, same concept behind all the other Screenspace techniques. We've seen it in The Division 2 and I believe in God of War too.

Damn it game is near bomba territory according to the reviews, bit disappointed the story and the characters didn't pan out:( oh well at least it looks insane so I'll still get it day one.

Not getting the best reviews but I expected it, first big AAA game made by small team. In all my years playing games it's very rarely a dev hits it out the park there first big game

I'm not surprised at the the metacritic. Dying Light was amazing and fielded a 74 and I loved State of Decay 2 which has a metacritic of 69. The things critics find frustrating, I like the sound of.
  • Bike needs repairing frequently - part of the survival mechanics, treat it better.
  • Reliance on melee weapons - great, just like The Last of Us.
  • Map isn't as big as it looks - great, I don't want to spend 15 minutes from place to place, or more like 30 riding like Red Dead Redemption 2.
  • Not a lot of side activities - great, I don't want a map of side mission icons I'll never do.
I've just pre-ordered it. Horses for courses.

Seems like their is a lot of bugs yet... I'll wait until a few patchs are in. I've Spiderman and the last dragon quest to finish, so I've time :eek:

Basically dynamic shadows casting on tiny little incidental objects near you when the light source is not obscured, same concept behind all the other Screenspace techniques. We've seen it in The Division 2 and I believe in God of War too.

RDR2 uses them too if you pay attention you can notice it.

Hard to spot when 30 lawmen have just killed you because you accidentally shot your horse and punched a random dog.

I saw 2-3 reviews, seems to me like 1 patch won't be enough... We'll see...

In terms of technical issues, I have 100% faith that Sony Bend will fix these. Non-network serious technical issues are rare with Sony first party games and I can't recall a single first party game where issues weren't fixed. The last four Sony games I played - Detroit, Spider-Man, God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn, were flawless (for me!) on launch day.

A bunch of the reviews cited technical issues with many reviews noting were on patch 1.02 which I believe is the state of the game roughly when Sony shipped it to reviewers. Patch 1.03 (17Gb IIRC) released 3-4 days ago and fixed a bunch of issues, including some framerate issues and patch 1.04 (13Gb reportedly) dropped today fixing more stuff.

While it's cool that devs can fix things post-launch, this is crappy for reviewers. Do you review a game once with the code you had available and be damned forever, or do you update it later? Who would want want to play a game under pressure to produce a review quickly once, let alone twice? I wouldn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
It probably does, but nowhere near as extensive as DG's. The way it's presented here is quite in your face, literally every single tiny grain of stone, thin branch and leaf is getting shadowed and the coverage distance is expansive too. Coupled with higher res texture and denser geometry further amplify the effect.

Back