David Jaffe: I Would Not Have Included Blu-ray in PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS3 still had far more supply during the holiday months than 360, and was not supply contrained through April. But, I'll just leave you to your version of the facts.

As for 2:1, NPD in Feb was 228k:127k. That is not sellin 'as well' sorry.

No-one has numbers for EU. According to MS they've sold 10.4million units, only 5-6million went to NA. ~4million units went to EU. If you have other numbers lets see em!

Far more supply? but no proof...

The only numbers I have are, just about 10m for MS, and over 3m for PS3. I think that speaks for itself.

Given PS3's price, lack of games at this moment in time, and delayed European launch, I dont think its the doomsday scenario you paint. In fact, I think its FUD. I mean what kind of statement is "consumers are rejecting PS3 based on price", based on it not selling aswell as you thought it would?

The only numbers I have are, just about 10m for MS, and over 3m for PS3. I think that speaks for itself.

well launch sales to the early adopters (who waited a long time) is one thing and it's a fine start... but take another look at the weekly/monthly numbers and the lead for 360 will only widen at the current rate.

It is pretty easy to see that the PS3 was not supply limited, and that very fast after launch. If you dig a little you should find a PR from sony with 1 million PS3 shipped to japan by December 31. We know that early april that million is still not sold, so no chance that it was supply limited in december.

We will get NPD numbers next thursday so things will be a bit more clear for US.

Far more supply? but no proof...

The only 4months where the 360 did not sell at least 50k/week were from Jan-March. Hmmm...wonder what in the world caused that!

Numbers are bogus, since PS3 is actually around 2million. And the 10m for MS is 4 months old...

I dont think its the doomsday scenario you paint.

:rolleyes: What doomsday scenario am I painting exactly? Show me what post you're referring too.

It is pretty easy to see that the PS3 was not supply limited, and that very fast after launch. If you dig a little you should find a PR from sony with 1 million PS3 shipped to japan by December 31. We know that early april that million is still not sold, so no chance that it was supply limited in december.

We will get NPD numbers next thursday so things will be a bit more clear for US.

The statement was 1m to the US. Please get your "facts" straight.

The only 4months where the 360 did not sell at least 50k/week were from Jan-March. Hmmm...wonder what in the world caused that!

Numbers are bogus, since PS3 is actually around 2million. And the 10m for MS is 4 months old...

2m?? Logic has just gone out the window. I dont think its even worth the effort.

MS had only shipped 10.4m up until a few weeks ago, and sales have been slow recently, but if you want to play the MS cheerleader...

Microsoft shipped 10,4M 360s by the end of 06. They probably still haven't sold all of them.

Since the thread is no longer about Blu-Ray drive, my suggestion is to close it.

Microsoft shipped 10,4M 360s by the end of 06. They probably still haven't sold all of them.

Since the thread is no longer about Blu-Ray drive, my suggestion is to close it.

This is a solid discussion and probably belongs in the huge npd financial thread-ama-thingy.

Yes, you wouldn't have optional languages and Insomniac would be forced to make real-time cut-scenes. Other than that it would be the same game.
Spend just one hour with Resistance online matchmaking and find out how wrong you are. Hints: the game assets don't fit on a DVD. Nobody wants to juggle DVDs between 15-minute online matches.
aselto said:
I'm not saying BRD exctra space will not be useful. I think that initial PS3 games weren't just games that showed that BRD was all that necessary.
It can't be allowed to be.

Poor games line-up. I remember those as the months where Xbox 360 owners played nothing but PGR3 and Geometry Wars.
Then came Graw and Oblivion, and the situation improved.

Poor games line-up. I remember those as the months where Xbox 360 owners played nothing but PGR3 and Geometry Wars.
Then came Graw and Oblivion, and the situation improved.

you forgot CoD2, Madden, Prefect Dark at launch... all eventual million sellers.

it was supply constrained due to memory chip fab until April.... common knowledge.

2m?? Logic has just gone out the window. I dont think its even worth the effort.

Well you sure aren't making much of an effort to provide sources for your claims. 1.1 mil in the US, you think they've sold an additonal 2million WW?

Rolf - Come on now, it was extremely hard to find a 360 in North America until April 06, this is common knowledge. And the game library was very solid, Madden, Kameo, COD2, PD0, Condemned, Fight Night 3 and more. No reason to play these games.

yea, if you're still living in January '07. :LOL:

compared to what? did you even see the numbers posted above?

yea, that's helpful

Exactly, shipped. From January, has the 360 sold in massive quantities? Nope. I'd be surprised if they've even sold 10.4m.

Well you sure aren't making much of an effort to provide sources for your claims. 1.1 mil in the US, you think they've sold an additonal 2million WW?

Rolf - Come on now, it was extremely hard to find a 360 in North America until April 06, this is common knowledge. And the game library was very solid, Madden, Kameo, COD2, PD0, Condemned, Fight Night 3 and more. No reason to play these games.

You've offered nothing except convoluted theories. Even nextgenwars has it 2.8m and VGCharts at over 3m. Neither is 100% accurate, but they sure as hell are more accurate than your guestimates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back