Jaffe goes solo (not very exciting!)

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
David Jaffe has created an independent studio. And he's...working closely with Sony parties. And is contracted into three titles for Sony. And isn't moving location. So really, it's not a huge deal. As Jaffe put it...

"In many ways, it’s like very little has changed, other than the pay cut."

Still, someone has to announce it.

In the near future...

"Sony announces a buyout of Jaffe's independent studio. Jaffe comments that 'It's great to be working with such a strong publisher. This new relationship should work out wonderfully for both parties.' SCEA President Jack Trentton states 'we're delighted to have such an acclaimed producer as a part of SCEA's family. Welcome home Jaffe!'"

:p

In the near future...

"Sony announces a buyout of Jaffe's independent studio. Jaffe comments that 'It's great to be working with such a strong publisher. This new relationship should work out wonderfully for both parties.' SCEA President Jack Trentton states 'we're delighted to have such an acclaimed producer as a part of SCEA's family. Welcome home Jaffe!'"

:p

LOL, seriously...

But all kidding aside, it looks like Jaffe is cashing in on his celebrity while the cashing is good.

Cashing in pay to go independent, is the idea. And eventually he gets to sell the company for millions and retires!

It's too bad that he's focusing so much on this casual pick and play type budget titles. I find it hard to get excited for Calling All Cars 2 intead of God Of War 3.

It's too bad that he's focusing so much on this casual pick and play type budget titles. I find it hard to get excited for Calling All Cars 2 intead of God Of War 3.

I'm actually really happy to have Jaffe out there taking small games seriosuly.

When he talks candidly about Calling all Cars and compares it to NBA Jam, it feels like a designer is speaking directly to me and likewise making games for me. I don't get that from most blockbuster games and I certainly don't get it from Joust and MK2 and crap puzzlegames that fill out PSN and XBox Live.

It makes perfect sense why he's doing it and also, there is a market for it absolutely but the scope of his ideas used to be huge. I'm sure he'll make something big again eventually.

I'd certainly hope he'd try something new. Calling all cars isn't the kind of game that I personally like that much, but that doesn't mean there won't be another cool game next time. I'm all for more PSN games, as I generally love them and see huge potential there.

The PSN market is very small right now. Even Super Star dust which is regarded by many as one of the best PSN games had less than 50k users last I checked. And I'm sure calling all cars didn't do better.

There is so little money it in right now, it's no wonder Sony is really the only one funding development for the PSN platform currently. I believe Tekken5 DR is the only non-Sony published game on the PSN. Aside from the retro stuff of course.

But the situation can only get better from here. Unlike retail boxed games, it doesn't cost any money to keep the online store stocked with titles. So games like SSD and Tekken5 DR could keep on selling for a long time and keep generating revenue with no downside. And as long as does reasonably well with PS3 sales this holiday season, and continue to keep on devoting their own resources to improve the library, by next year the PSN might actually become attractive to 3rd party publishers.

Back