David Jaffe: I Would Not Have Included Blu-ray in PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong.

I couldn't give two chits who wins the stupid HD format. I'm just a consumer I have no vested interest in that crap. Personally I'm leaning toward digital distribution as I do not care for physical media.

yea, you keep clinging to that

Lol, thats at leats 5 years away from becoming anywhere near mainstream.

And I would suggest HD physical media will be more important to you the next time you get a tv, especially seeing as how the prices of HD players are falling quicker than DVD players were 10 years ago.

A... I guess we'll have to wait until 2008 for Sony to pull out the big guns.

PS3 should be right in my price range by then!
This reflects my own feeling.
Arwin, you may argue all the day long about BR and what it will eventually bring to PS3 games, this will never make that an "instant buy" for loads of people.

Many here are speaking of the future of this console to explain the reasons why people should buy it . So why urging to buy it now and not wait until next year ? Oh wait : those who say that already bought it.

Err...what I said was that it had outsold it to date, which is the most important factor.:LOL:

How in the world is that the most important factor?

The 360 continues to increase it's lead daily, and somehow, it's sales in 2005 when it was supply limited is the most important factor?? :???:

I'm gonna need some explanation of that logic!

Now that looks like a comparison between Dreamcast that cannot play DVD and PS2 that can.
Nope,

I was just saying two things :
- 600 € a BR player is certainly not worth the price for the majority of people, today.
- When the PS3 will reach 400 € price, what will be the price of a standalone player (for the BR movie side)? What will be the Xbox360 price (for the console side) ?

I can continue : what do you expect as prices of standalone BR and HD-DVD ones for this christmas ?

Now, do you think the future of the PS3 is so bright, now ?

Lol, thats at leats 5 years away from becoming anywhere near mainstream.

well good thing I'm a patient man. ;)

Not to mention I can already DL HD media (movies, TV shows, specials) off of Xbox live and you can get On Demand from my cable provider.

The 360 continues to increase it's lead daily, and somehow, it's sales in 2005 when it was supply limited is the most important factor?? :???:

exactly.

it's just spinning numbers to reflect a positive outlook IMO. The reality is 360 is outselling it in NA and not too far behind in Europe and BOTH are insignificant currently in Japan.

Nope,

I was just saying two things :
- 600 € a BR player is certainly not worth the price for the majority of people, today.
- When the PS3 will reach 400 € price, what will be the price of a standalone player (for the BR movie side)? What will be the Xbox360 price (for the console side) ?

I can continue : what do you expect as prices of standalone BR and HD-DVD ones for this christmas ?

Now, do you think the future of the PS3 is so bright, now ?

-PS3 isnt just a 600 euro BR player
-See above and depends when

Supply constrained after 5 months? DuH...I guess because in these five months, very few big PS3 games have been released. Further, the European launch was delayed, and the PS3 was very US-centric in terms of the type of games released. Only recently have games that will appeal to Japanese gamers be released, (Gundam and VF5) and bigger ones are still to come. But the platform still managed to slightly exceed 360 sales in this period. As soon as 360's average sales in Europe and the rest of the world are brought up, people instantly spout crap about supply constraints for a whole year apparently. MS reduced its sales targets for 2007...there is one reason for that, sales have disappointing outside of the US.

Once the big games on PS3 come out, I would expect that gap to decline, possibly be reversed, because PS3 is selling aswell a 360 with few AAA games and a high price tag. Certainly GT5 (the biggest franchise in the world) will greatly increase PS3 sales throughout every continent. (unlike Halo, which is only massive in the US)

well good thing I'm a patient man. ;)

Not to mention I can already DL HD media (movies, TV shows, specials) off of Xbox live and you can get On Demand from my cable provider.

So I take you'll be getting the $180 120GB HDD? I wonder how long that will last...I would rather just use my PC. Easier and cheaper.

Supply constrained after 5 months? DuH...I guess because in these five months, very few big PS3 games have been released. Further, the European launch was delayed, and the PS3 was very US-centric in terms of the type of games released. Only recently have games that will appeal to Japanese gamers be released, (Gundam and VF5) and bigger ones are still to come. But the platform still managed to slightly exceed 360 sales in this period. As soon as 360's average sales in Europe and the rest of the world are brought up, people instantly spout crap about supply constraints for a whole year apparently. MS reduced its sales targets for 2007...there is one reason for that, sales have disappointing outside of the US.

Once the big games on PS3 come out, I would expect that gap to decline, possibly be reversed, because PS3 is selling aswell a 360 with few AAA games and a high price tag. Certainly GT5 (the biggest franchise in the world) will greatly increase PS3 sales throughout every continent. (unlike Halo, which is only massive in the US)

You are overestimating the impact that most games have on sales

JPNConsoles-6.png

(From gaf)

When you consider that the PS3 is already cheap in Japan, the solution is maybe not as simple as a few games....

You are overestimating the impact that most games have on sales

When you consider that the PS3 is already cheap in Japan, the solution is maybe not as simple as a few games....

Nice graph, but it was clear that the launch was US focused. Handhelds seem to be the trend over there for whatever reason, but I'm sure when GT5, Heavenly Sword, White Night Story and FF XIII come out, sales will be fine.

Btw, that first line is absurd. So people buy a console so they look at it? Just because the Wii only has one good game, doesnt mean sales will keep up if nothing good is released. At the moment, its selling on potential and gimmick value.

First of all, 360 was supply constrained during Nov/Dec, which represent 6 months worth of sales during the rest of the year. PS3 was not, making all LTD comparisons invalid.

Secondly, you still haven't explained WHY it's important at all. PS3 is not selling as well as 360, in fact it's selling far worse.

360 never dropped below 50k/week once the supply was there, PS3 is selling more like 30k/week in the US. That's the real picture.

Comparing LTD's, and ignoring 360's supply constraints during holiday is pure spin, and completely irrelevant.

because PS3 is selling aswell a 360

This is false. It's selling worse than the 360 was at this point last year, and is currently being outsold nearly 2:1 by 360 in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
-PS3 isnt just a 600 euro BR player
I know !

But some people are changing the rules during discussion : we deal about global offer then to one aspect, then to another, then back to global.

If not enough, we go from present to future, to present.

All in all, it seems that present offer is not worth for most people, and the future is not so cool because be it on the console front, or the HD media playtback, there are different competitors that won't just sit back and await for Sony ...

First of all, 360 was supply constrained during Nov/Dec, which represent 6 months worth of sales during the rest of the year. PS3 was not, making all LTD comparisons invalid.

Secondly, you still haven't explained WHY it's important at all. PS3 is not selling as well as 360, in fact it's selling far worse.

360 never dropped below 50k/week once the supply was there, PS3 is selling more like 30k/week in the US. That's the real picture.

Comparing LTD's, and ignoring 360's supply constraints during holiday is pure spin, and completely irrelevant.

This is false. It's selling worse than the 360 was at this point last year, and is currently being outsold nearly 2:1 by 360 in the US.

??PS3 was constrained in two months aswell, so I guess it makes it even-making a comparison somewhat more valid. Spin? I'm just typing the facts, no matter how badly you want to use cover-ups.

2:1? I havent seen those numbers. I do know that PS3 is closing the gap in Japan and Europe however. Btw, if you read the previous post properly, you'll that I mentioned that 360 was selling well in the US, just that it wasnt selling particularly well anywhere else.

??PS3 was constrained in two months aswell, so I guess it makes it even-making a comparison somewhat more valid. Spin? I'm just typing the facts, no matter how badly you want to use cover-ups.

2:1? I havent seen those numbers. I do know that PS3 is closing the gap in Japan and Europe however. Btw, if you read the previous post properly, you'll that I mentioned that 360 was selling well in the US, just that it wasnt selling particularly well anywhere else.

PS3 still had far more supply during the holiday months than 360, and was not supply contrained through April. But, I'll just leave you to your version of the facts.

As for 2:1, NPD in Feb was 228k:127k. That is not sellin 'as well' sorry.

No-one has numbers for EU. According to MS they've sold 10.4million units, only 5-6million went to NA. ~4million units went to EU. If you have other numbers lets see em!

UK last week
17,000 PlayStation 3
11,000 Xbox 360

NPD Feb '07 (NA)
228,000 Xbox 360
127,000 PlayStation 3

Japan last week
14,520 PS3
2,963 Xbox360

and Wii ... 52,583 for perspective on Japan.

edit: beaten on npd by Scooby ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back