Cyan's *Must-Have* Skyrim Mod Recommendation Super-Gush Thread - daily updates

You sure you're reading the map right? To me it looks like Skyrim is roughly the same size as Morrowind or twice the size of Vvardenfell.

I would like to see the world less densely packed. More open wilderness. Their entire world seems to be smaller than Australia but still has all the seasons and climates. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Map from the Gameinformer behind the scenes tour video:
rNX66.jpg

You sure you're reading the map right? To me it looks like Skyrim is roughly the same size as Morrowind or twice the size of Vvardenfell.

Yes I am. TES3 Morrowind (the game) was set in Vvardenfell. Skyrim in the world map is twice that size. So I can come to the logical but flawed conclusion that TES5 Skyrim (the game) will be twice as big as TES3 Morrowind (the game)

Yes I am. TES3 Morrowind (the game) was set in Vvardenfell. Skyrim in the world map is twice that size. So I can come to the logical but flawed conclusion that TES5 Skyrim (the game) will be twice as big as TES3 Morrowind (the game)
Map hasn't really been accurate way to compare gameplay areas in TES.
Daggerfalls playable area contained High Rock and Hammerfell which had something like 15k cities within 487,000 square kilometers. :)

Looking forward to TES V, though the "delay" certainly curbed my enthusiasm.
I was afraid Skyrim would be boring due to being a cold/northern continent, glad to see it won't be as dull as Morrowind.

For all of you grinders out there, level scaling is cool, it's even better in Fallout 3+.

OMG, looks amazing - Oblivion was the first true 'next gen' title I played, can't wait to get my hands on this.

The Elder Scrolls series have always been my favourite RPG as their world were always the most detailed, I love how you can have a house and decorate it in game by picking up and moving things as mundane as forks and plates.
Same here. When I first played Oblivion I was like, "this generation consoles can do this?". Seeing the grown green grass, the clear then rainy skies, the trees, the different animals, large dungeons, castles..., etc, was a sight to behold back then. What amazed me the most was seeing trees and a mountain in the distance and wondering to myself; "Can I go there?". And totally fascinated and awestruck realizing that I could.

I remember a developer, nAo, saying that he didn't know how they made some things when talking about the technology of the game.

Then discovering well hidden places and caves by myself, pretty much like in real life as I live in a place with lush vegetation where some places are tricky to find. Seeing some bones out of the cave and wondering... "I hope this is not the workings of a troll." Then entering the cave and discovering horrified that there were trolls there which inevitably I had to take good care of. :smile:

Even my casual friends who had never played a console liked the game saying that it had a beautiful music and that the game was authentic and genuine -especially the physics seeing objects or baddies falling down a slope or mountain-. They were defining it as realistic.

The game was amazing, I only missed my character couldn't burp out loud, for instance, or swear if he/she got really hurt, it would be awesome.

Btw, you could go to Skyrim in Oblivion, using a very secret path. I never found it but here is Skyrim in all its splendour and glory. I love the music -an unforgettable game-:

I didn't mind autoleveling mainly because I was never conscious of it. I knew there was something odd since the same rat again and again seemed to get tougher for some strange reason but I thought of it as the natural progression of the game.

Autoleveling would only make sense if used in coop mode, Diablo style, where enemies would have more hit points and a larger life level depending on the number of players in a game or party. That was an awesome feature of Diablo that I miss in most coop games.

I love the music -an unforgettable game-:

Agreed, listening to the music on that video then was making me seriously nostalgic!

Oblivion was quite possibly my favourite game of all time. I would love to go back and play it now but I've completed every quest worth completing including the main campaign so the spirit of adventure is more or less gone now. Plus I don't want to be sucked in for 4 hours a day again!

Levelling was never a problem for me as I played with a mod which eliminated it. I'm not sure If I'd have enjoyed the game half as much if I couldn't see my levelling progress being put into effect as Imoved through the game. Hopefully there'll be a similar mod for Skyrim or the default levelling will be much improved.

Yeah Oblivion has some of the best atmospheric/exploration music I've heard.

A favorite:

Levelling was never a problem for me as I played with a mod which eliminated it. I'm not sure If I'd have enjoyed the game half as much if I couldn't see my levelling progress being put into effect as Imoved through the game. Hopefully there'll be a similar mod for Skyrim or the default levelling will be much improved.

I didn't like simple mods that just removed leveling because it's no fun running into minotaurs and ogres at level 1 where you would normally find imps. I don't know of any mods that removed the leveling but also sorted out the random spawns into set enemies or at least tried to give you fair warning that you're running into something big.

I didn't like simple mods that just removed leveling because it's no fun running into minotaurs and ogres at level 1 where you would normally find imps. I don't know of any mods that removed the leveling but also sorted out the random spawns into set enemies or at least tried to give you fair warning that you're running into something big.

I think it was called something along the lines of oscuro's oblivion overhaul (I'm sure I have that wrong). As far as I know, it just stopped creatures levelling up with you. So you still find them all where they're meant to be but where a minotaur would be impossible to kill at the earlier levels, it gets progressively more possible until you eventually can take on several of them with little worry. This for me is perfect as while there isn't much combat challenge when you get very powerful, its the journey to achieve that god like power (and the fun of wielding it) that makes levelling up worthwhile to me.

Kinda odd, but Oblivion always seemed a lot smaller to me than it probably was. Probably had something to do with the layout of the world since you could see the tower of the Imperial City from just about anywhere on the map.
At least for me the pervasive fog in Morrowind actually helped with keeping the illusion of a large world.

BTW how was item progression in oblivion didn't play long enough but from what i remember it was kinda minimal. So you could dress like you wanted to look.

Dont know hope item progression will be something along the lines of Wow.

In Oblivion, everything was tied to your level. Armor, weapons, enemies, items - everything. I don't quite remember if there were any restrictions besides weight.

Concerning level scaling, I felt better after reading this quote from Matt Grandstaff over on the ESV forums:

Since people are asking, wanted to briefly touch on level scaling. All our games have had some amount of randomness/levelling based on player level. Skyrim's is similar to Fallout 3's, not Oblivion's.

Hope that addresses some concerns, and we hope you're enjoying the GI cover story.

Have a great night

Agreed, listening to the music on that video then was making me seriously nostalgic!

Oblivion was quite possibly my favourite game of all time. I would love to go back and play it now but I've completed every quest worth completing including the main campaign so the spirit of adventure is more or less gone now. Plus I don't want to be sucked in for 4 hours a day again!

Me too. I feel really melancholic listening to that music. It certainly brings back memories.... sigh. It was one of the first games I played on a current generation console and there were so few games available back then that it made me treasure it even more. The fact that other people -casuals who didn't know much, if any, about gaming- valued it greatly because they could recognize and see how well done it was also made me realize that in some regards it was a masterpiece.

Kinda odd, but Oblivion always seemed a lot smaller to me than it probably was. Probably had something to do with the layout of the world since you could see the tower of the Imperial City from just about anywhere on the map.
At least for me the pervasive fog in Morrowind actually helped with keeping the illusion of a large world.
Morrowind had a huge world indeed, and sort of more confusing than Oblivion. But the world of TES IV was every bit as large as Morrowind's world, if not more.

When playing Oblivion I remember a mission which I loved where you could find an unicorn. :smile: It was a well hidden secret in the game -if I remember correctly you could get on the unicorn but he disappeared after a while if you didn't keep close to him? Well, there were some big plains and trees, and I made sure to take advantage of daylight.

Pretty much like in real life when you don't know a place you can get lost easily, the same happened in the game when I was trying to find the mythical unicorn.

I had a laptop and an Internet guide next to me, with a very detailed map, showing me the part of the map where the unicorn was. I think he was surrounded by minotaurs. But I couldn't see them, so I began wandering around endlessly because I didn't know that part of the map, which was pretty close to a wide busy road that led you to one of the main cities of the game.

After a long while I found the unicorn, but I was surprised it felt like being in a big field that might seem relatively small from the distance but when you get to go there you find out how huge it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back