CVG: Sony to rock GDC

Sony will unveil the flagship PS3 shooter next month, plus masses of other new games CVG has learned

The highly-anticipated PlayStation 3 sequel to Guerilla Game's Killzone is to be officially unveiled at next month's GDC, CVG has learned.

Well placed US sources have revealed to us that the flagship Sony shooter will be shown in full glory at the San Francisco event, perhaps even in the form of a playable demo.

As well as its high price point, the PS3 (like most consoles) has faced criticism for a lack of really high profile, compelling games which make it a 'must buy' and the big reveal of Killzone 2 will also form the spearhead for a raft of new PS3 game announcements at the show, which Sony hope will drive PS3 sales through the roof during the European launch and beyond in the big lead up to the all- important Christmas 2007 market.

SCE worldwide studios president Phil Harrison is also due to keynote at the event, which takes place on March 5 to 9.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=157062

Let's hope for some sleepers during this conference.
I'm not one for the Killzone hype train, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't curious. :smile:

I'm more interesed in that "masses of other new games". :) In one month, huh?

Hell yea! :cool:

Though, just like most people, im still intrigued on seeing the update on Killzone, after the infamous E3 trailer :smile:

My interest in percentage: 70% on the new games, 30% on new KZ2 info :LOL:

Sony desperately needs this and could be exactly what the doctor ordered.

I'm thinking the perfect recipe would be Wipeout with a double portion of "XL", Mercs 2 with an extra helping of physics based destruction not seen outside an action flick, and of course a teaspoon of dropdeadgorgeous flag-ship-shooter ... all in realtime.

~viola~

playstation ala drool :D

It would be really nice to see something previously unseen..like Wipeout. SCEA's comment to Gamespot about announcing more in "the near future" might give hope..but..

I don't know. Hyped events rarely deliver.

I'd say there's a very good chance we'll see Ratchet & Clank, though, since it is to feature in the next issue of EGM. After the teaser at last year's GDC, I'm very excited to see that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope at least this forum will be saved from the "but it doesn't look like the CGI" kinda posts like on all the other forums in a month then...

In the year or so that I've lurked or participated on this site, I've come to notice that a GDC comes along - what seems to be- every two months. Never noticed that before.

I am always very excited to see platform specific 1st party titles no matter what the platform and I hope Sony succeeds (as I hope MSFT and NiN). As for KZ, I hope it looks great but more importantly I'm curious about the gameplay. If it looks to be a pretty FPS with no innovation than I will not give a shit. I hope they have more details about the new Naughty Dog IP.

SCE worldwide studios president Phil Harrison is also due to keynote at the event, which takes place on March 5 to 9.

That should be entertaining.

I am patiently awaiting something to play other then Resistance.

Cant wait :)

This might be the chance for Sony to raise my excitement as much as it was during the last 2 E3s

After Sony's blackout over the last year... this should be very entertaining and instructive for the other two console makers. If Sony comes out swinging with demos of HS, MGS, Warhawk, Lair, R&C, and KZ and they look like nothing that exists on any other platform (much like motorstorm appears to be right now), they will begin to swing momentum back in their direction of the course the year.

In many ways, if any of those games make the March European launch date, it will be as if the NA/Japan launch was merely a pre-launch... If the numbers coming publications wrt VF5 are any indication of the quality that lays in wait, European launch could set off a very good year for Sony, and its third party supporters.

Why would Sony announce and show a ton of new PS3 stuff at GDC? I suppose they'll give out lots of technical details at E3, then.

...If Sony comes out swinging with demos of HS, MGS, Warhawk, Lair, R&C, and KZ...In many ways, if any of those games make the March European launch date, it will be as if the NA/Japan launch was merely a pre-launch...

No Shot any of those games make the EU launch. Since GDC is the first full of March, and the launch is the last full week...That seems highly unlikely.

The first part you referred to about the demos, and them being available for the EU launch, now that seems plausible.

Why would Sony announce and show a ton of new PS3 stuff at GDC? I suppose they'll give out lots of technical details at E3, then.

Timing

If Sony can kickstart the market with even a few promising titles that show what the system is capable of it could turn the tables for them in all regions. Especially, given the EU launch being right around the corner. I'm sure they are hopefull of a sellout but they are mindfull of the situation in Japan.

The sooner that Sony can show that ps3 is indeed above and beyond the capabilities of xb360 games that are on the market, the better. Momentum is a funny thing and if they risk waiting to show these games at e3 then it may be too late. Going into the EU launch hot on the heels of exciting, upcoming games is the safe bet.

However, If they show software that is premature I believe it would do more bad than good even if it is showing unique qualities unseen on other systems. What they show needs to be knockout gorgeous. Not questionable. If they have to limit the scope of the demo to have fixed cameras, one section of a level, or even cgi again, it would be better than throwing up more question marks on the heads of the audience.

The timing for showing games that outclass the competition is perfect.

I, for one, do not expect anything new from GDC, on the SCE front. They might show some real time stuff from some of tehir project, yes, but I wouldn't expect full blown trailers and such, let alone trailers for unannounced games.

They might do some PR, though, but I won't be counting on it, nor would I expect something important, to the gaming press, to be presented.

Timing

If Sony can kickstart the market with even a few promising titles that show what the system is capable of it could turn the tables for them in all regions. Especially, given the EU launch being right around the corner. I'm sure they are hopefull of a sellout but they are mindfull of the situation in Japan.

But isn't GDC not press oriëntated? I thought it was only for devs charing knowledge and taking pictures or filming is not even allowed IIRC (although there are always sneaky persons who do)? So I don't really see why Sony should make a bang at GDC.

But isn't GDC not press oriëntated? I thought it was only for devs charing knowledge and taking pictures or filming is not even allowed IIRC (although there are always sneaky persons who do)? So I don't really see why Sony should make a bang at GDC.

It's an event.

The timing of this event lining up with subpar sales in Japan and questionable sales in the US and the upcoming EU launch paint a picture of opportunity.

They could "make" an event but that would smack of desperation.

They could wait for e3 but again this would be post EU launch.

Leaking a few shaky cam mpegs of impressive upcoming games would do a lot more positive than negative at this time for Sony.

Back