Current TVs and Upcoming PS3 3D

These kinds of displays need huge amount of image data, and yet, most of the pixels it displays are never seen ... kind of a waste. The actual viewing resolution is very low (128*96 I think).

Yes 4 Mpixels for 128x96 is very poor indeed. Still it looks neat. Could work as small gaming device.

I think we need to be looking at Occam's Razor for PS3 3D - the simplest solution is most likely the one they'll go with.

Here's the HDMI 1.4 spec page for 3D I alluded to earlier: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/3d.aspx

Notice how the top two methods in the list are those used by Blitz Games in their XBLA/PSN game. Surely creation of two frames from one is the most sensible solution? I'm willing to bet that interpolation of a stereo 3D image via goggles helps make up the resolution deficiency - the eyes naturally blend. Also consider PS3 running in 1080i mode - it can still give the impression of 1080p60 even though it is producing half-frames.

My betting money would go for 1080p60 stream containing two 1080p30 frames

Probably some closed door developer demoes. :(

I'm really keen to see how KZ2 in 3D feel. In its current form, it already gives me a distinctive outdoor experience.

There's talk of Killzone cut-scenes being shown in 3D here. Little has leaked about PS3 3D but I am aware that the process of "patching" a game to support it is not trivial, and also (as the article suggests) it really is the driving games that benefit the most. Which stands to reason really.

I think Sony is very brave for tackling this now when I would imagine that the competition will be waiting for the next gen. I'm hoping to get a look at it in the not-too-distant future, I think it's really exciting.

There's talk of Killzone cut-scenes being shown in 3D here.

Ah, Guerilla made a KZ2 demo earlier on. That sequence would be a good 3D display showcase since the camera follows the trajectory of a bullet. :)

Little has leaked about PS3 3D but I am aware that the process of "patching" a game to support it is not trivial, and also (as the article suggests) it really is the driving games that benefit the most. Which stands to reason really.

Is it because there are less headache inducing movement ? 3D LBP and KZ2 sound awesome.

I think Sony is very brave for tackling this now when I would imagine that the competition will be waiting for the next gen. I'm hoping to get a look at it in the not-too-distant future, I think it's really exciting.

Sony has always been all over the place (Bad for them, good for me as a tech curious person).

Back