Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Proelite, Mar 16, 2020.

1. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Impressive. Now explains AMDs new GPUs performing so well. They are both very wide and very very fast (2.5ghz), and infinity cache, all rdna2 features.

2. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

pjbliverpool likes this.
  3. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran

Warzone is a last-gen (PS4/XBO) game, later Xboxes supported 120Hz output and PS4/Pro did not.

There is no conspiracy here. :nope:

PSman1700 likes this.
  4. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

The way you say conspiracy makes me think there is one... :runaway:

5. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

I dont even follow the CoD game series.... Seeing warzone screens it looks like a PS3 game at best.
    Cold war has got my attention though.

6. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

It will do if you're still rocking a Radeon 7870.

7. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Doesnt bode well for the base 2013 consoles.

8. babybumb

Regular

Redgamingtech claims Sony modified CPU so that L3 cache is unified vs Xbox non-unified

9. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Seems like AMD were able to bring some of their Zen3 IP forward for Sony. I wonder why they didn't do the same for Microsoft.

PSman1700 likes this.
  10. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

but is it confirmed, or still rumors ?

VitaminB6 and BRiT like this.
  11. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran

:yep2:

jgp, Silenti, VitaminB6 and 1 other person like this.
  12. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

I'm not convinced at this point. If we get a die shot we'll know for sure about the L3 cache arrangement.

C'mon B3D! One of you needs to sacrifice your PS5 and break out the sandpaper!!

Silenti, PSman1700 and VitaminB6 like this.
  13. chris1515

Legend Regular

This is a rumor. We only have hint and before we have a die shot of the APU we will have no idea. I believe it is a standard zen 2 until some proof.

14. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

Well if it's true then that would help explain why the PS5 is for now easily beating XSX in CPU heavy scenes like in crowded areas (AC) and 120fps mode (DMC5).

AC Valhalla framerate comparison in a city:
    [​IMG]

15. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Or maybe the DX12 API isn't as low level and has more overhead :?:

16. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Given that the game runs on the X1 and PS4 and PC, I reckon if this is a CPU issue it's to do with the software running on it and not the CPU itself.

The dips seen in DMC5 reek of software, and not necessarily on the developers end - vendor side software stack and development tools are absolutely critical to performance. Hitches in performance are almost always down to software in one way or another.

Once again, I think it speaks to the superiority of Sony's pre launch development environment rather than hardware secret sauce. Hardware ain't nothin' without software, and software suffers without the right environment and familiarly with that environment.

Actually, if PS5 does have 'secret source' it comes from two things: Sony's understanding of game developers (which MS also has at some level in the organisation), and Sony's willingness to put their needs first to empower the platform (which I think MS lose sight of somewhere in the board room as they try and conquer the world).

17. turkey

Veteran Newcomer

I am not sure Microsoft can be said to not have empowered the platform, we must recognise however that Xbox platform is more than the console hardware.

This is probably the reason for the delay and full RDNA2 push, Sony only have to consider the PS5 but Microsoft want a certain DX feature set to be fully embedded.

This may prove to be beneficial as the generation progresses, fast up front seems to be winning the day.

More compute should win out they way things are going but will the difference be enough, and will easy early "victories" seal the generation for Sony before the fight starts in earnest.

18. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

The difference between the XSX and PS5 in every department is way to small too call any of them a 'victor', assumingly for the whole generation.

#4618 PSman1700, Nov 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Johnny Awesome likes this.
  19. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran

This has been PlayStation's public position since Mark Cerny took over and he is/was a game developer. If PS5 does have a unified L3 cache across both CPU clusters I'm sure this was a decision made for performance and balance reasons though. Arguably it does make it easier for devs because it results a less code/data profiling and gives more freedom to distribute jobs sharing data across the available cores, but the more cache hits your score the less bandwidth to memory you need.

This new generation is pushing ever higher resolutions and often between 2x and 4x the framerate, yet relative increases in memory bandwidth between the PS4/XBO/PS5/Series X aren't anywhere near that so bandwidth has to be an issue. When talking about the Series X's split memory bus design Microsoft's Andrew Goossen made mention of signal integrity issues so I think Microsoft were aiming even higher.

#4619 DSoup, Nov 15, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    milk and function like this.
  20. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Thanks for reminding me of that - it shows that Microsoft was solving a lot of the same problems in a similar way to Sony, and many on the comments from developers apply to both.

There is one thing I wonder about, and that is what the 100GB reservation is even needed for - can’t this reservation be part of the game install itself, since that contains all the assets already?