Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2023] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess that means dedicated units in the GPU. Dont know why this would be necessary. You can build the BVH per async compute with the graphics pipeline.

Speed and complexity, with dedicated BVH building hardware they can be much more complex and contain way more geometry then they do now.

Last edited:
Guess that means dedicated units in the GPU. Dont know why this would be necessary. You can build the BVH per async compute with the graphics pipeline.
If that were optimal, wouldn't nVidia be doing that already? The inclusion of hardware would be an optimisation thing, more effectvie silicon use in very finite transistor budgets.

If that were optimal, wouldn't nVidia be doing that already? The inclusion of hardware would be an optimisation thing, more effectvie silicon use in very finite transistor budgets.
nVidia recommends it:
Consider async compute for AS building. Especially in hybrid rendering, where G-buffer or shadow maps are rasterized, it’s potentially beneficial to execute AS building on async compute.

nVidia recommends it:

Do we know of any games that actually do this? And how much of the RT burden would that relieve on the CPU?

I was under the impression that only consoles had the flexibility to do The BVH builds/updates on the GPU side. Or is there still a significant CPU component even in this scenario?

David Wang of AMD talk about primitive shader and Mesh shader.
In 2023 how do we still know almost nothing about primitive or mesh shaders.

Do we know of any games that actually do this? And how much of the RT burden would that relieve on the CPU?

I was under the impression that only consoles had the flexibility to do The BVH builds/updates on the GPU side. Or is there still a significant CPU component even in this scenario?
DICE pointed to this as a part of ongoing optimization for Raytracing in BF5 after the release:
What are planned optimisations for the future?

Yasin Uludağ:
One of the optimisations that is built into the BVHs are our use of “overlapped” compute - multiple compute shaders running in parallel. This is not the same thing as async compute or simultaneous compute. It just means you can run multiple compute shaders in parallel. However, there is an implicit barrier injected by the driver that prevents these shaders running in parallel when we record our command lists in parallel for BVH building. This will be fixed in the future and we can expect quite a bit of performance here since it removes sync points and wait-for-idles on the GPU.

We also plan on running BVH building using simultaneous compute during the G-Buffer generation phase, allowing ray tracing to start much earlier in the frame, and the G-Buffer pass. Nsight traces shows that this can be a big benefit. This will be done in the future.

When are we getting Imagination in a console?

Are there any products at all that use Imagination RT hardware? I've heard of the tech for years but I don't recall any actual products (hardware or software) that utilize or exploit the tech especially to great fanfare.

And here we have Series S, a product that doesnt doesnt play your old XBOX disks
I would have bought a Series S in a heartbeat if it let me play my 360 discs. I’d buy one now. I understand the drive adds to the BOM cost but MS could have offered a digitization service of some sort where I trade in/register my discs in exchange for a digital coupon for the same game.

I don’t think that’s the usage model they had in mind though. I think it was always designed as a GamePass rental box.

To be fair he's playing with 16GB RAM at settings where the game recommends 32GB. That could easily be the cause of such stutters.

In any case, even if it's not I expect to see this fixed quickly, the devs have clearly made a massive effort to tailor this game very well to the PC, I dounbt they'll let it get spoiled by serious and ongoing stuttering.

I've seen mixed reports of stuttering, and some even saying 16GB is working fine.

DX12 titles just seem to be a constant mixed bag of inconsistency. I've experienced this myself with certain games, where loading a game up one day would offer a very different experience to the day before, with the exact same hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back