Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

@ Uncharted PC - Performance is one thing. Second thing is that even at Ultra settings LOD at high distance is more like in the PS4 and not the PS5 version.

@ Uncharted PC - Performance is one thing. Second thing is that even at Ultra settings LOD at high distance is more like in the PS4 and not the PS5 version.

I imagine it's going to be like Spiderman and require a few months of patches to sort out the little issues.

Shame as I was looking forward to playing Uncharted 4 again but it will have to wait.

I imagine it's going to be like Spiderman and require a few months of patches to sort out the little issues.

Shame as I was looking forward to playing Uncharted 4 again but it will have to wait.

Worth to remember is that this game has been in development since before Nixxes joined Sony, IE its not coming from Nixxes.

Even then, exclusives like Horizon FW got great technical improvements with subsequent patches, like 40fps VRR mode, and a massively improved performance mode. So its still better to wait with them.
Yeah, FW was a bit of a mess with the shimmering and image quality.

Zen 2700x is known to be bottlenecking things, and has little to do with conducting GPU performance. If you conduct GPU performance you dont want it to be limited by the CPU to begin with, which is almost certainly what is happening here. Zen 2, as found in the PS5 is already quite the improvement. I also doubt that the 2700x is the most common PC cpu, but thats not the point of these tests anyway.

IGN is basically comparing mid-range 2018 hardware to the late 2020 PS5, weird mismatch of settings and claiming that the 2070 OC is basically a 2070S which is false too. Their putting the PS5 in a much better light against other hardware then its worth. IGN used to be better then this, what happened to them?
I could easily say the zen 2 in the ps5 is bottlenecking it on the cpu side as well making benchmarks vs pc invalid against it when paired with a better cpu. That’s why you use an as equivalent as possible cpu (maybe slightly better than ps5 to cover discrepancies)

I could easily say the zen 2 in the ps5 is bottlenecking it on the cpu side as well making benchmarks vs pc invalid against it when paired with a better cpu. That’s why you use an as equivalent as possible cpu (maybe slightly better than ps5 to cover discrepancies)

You could easily say that the zen2 in the PS5 is bottlenecking its GPU? I dont thinkso. Further, a 2700x is ways of a 3700x which would be more appropiate. Even then, were still talking about a port.

So for Requiem, the ran at 60+ FPS almost the entirety of the time UP until I came to some kind of arena. In this area, rats kill the CPU bound performance hugely (nearly 2.5x times performance drop)

I wonder how common this situation is throughout the game? If it is common enough, it would explain the reason they locked the consoles to 30/40. If it is more rare, then it is just overprovisioning. I could've added a couple more percent FPS by going full 4-4.1 GHz. I made a cross comparison with a 3700x user and I seem to have the same performance they have (probably due to me having a 3466 MHz CL14 kit with tight timings)

qc95kAo.jpg

EdgXwce.jpg

Considering a 5800x3D is around %35-50 faster than 3700x, even that would not be enough to push a "rock solid" 60 FPS in this specific scene, I guess.

Interior rat scenes run fine.

rmhBSGK.jpg

To be honest I thought that video was higher quality than some of his previous entries. For the most part I didn't have any real problem with it as a 4K/fidelity mode comparison given he does call out the VRAM limitations on the 2070 impacting performance. I do find it strange that given that he doesn't spend any time at all comparing performance/1440p mode to the 2070 which would have cleared up the VRAM issues.

I did pull out a few other issues but I think for the most part they're just nitpicks:

• Shader compilation - at the beginning of the video he seems to be running the game while the shaders are still compiling but then calls out big stutters in the PC version?
  • He noted some settings (AO and reflections were called out specifically) that showed no appreciable difference between High and Medium, yet he tests at all High settings.
  • Similarly, his comparison to the 6800 is at all Ultra settings despite saying it can have a 13% performance impact over High.
  • Apparently 4K DLSS Quality mode offers only a "small quality improvement" over native 1440p with the trade off being some extra ghosting. That's certainly a unique take on the advantages of DLSS 2.
Overall though, in none RT scenario's we should expect the PS5 to be faster than his 2070. Particularly so in vram limited scenario's like this. So that performance lead doesn't seem too extreme given the port clearly still has some issues and the comparison to the 6800 looks ballpark correct considering he's running it at higher settings than the PS5.

It'll be interesting to see a comparison to the less vram constrained 3060 in 4K mode or the 2070 in 1440p / performance mode. At least after a patch or two to work out the early bugs.
He didn’t compare the 1440p mode as much cause it’s way more cpu limited which is a sepárate thing from gpu benches

You could easily say that the zen2 in the PS5 is bottlenecking its GPU? I dont thinkso. Further, a 2700x is ways of a 3700x which would be more appropiate. Even then, were still talking about a port.
I can easily say that especially in the unlocked 1440p mode

I dont understand why IGN is being this sloppy, the backlash on YT should be telling them something.

A well-named outlet as IGN shouldn't be testing high quality AAA games on a 2700x that was released april 2018, its a CPU that is limiting even a 2070 in Spiderman PC probably the same for miles morales. A 2070 OC is not a 2070 Super either, its not just clock increases for it to become a Super. A true 2070 Super, which more often than not are OC'ed per default, is a good match for the PS5 in raw raster at the very least, probably better in most cases. In RT its going to be faster everywhere. However a vanilla 2070 teamed to a 2700x is going to be problematic, then IGN is also wrongfully claiming things using settings that dont really match the PC<>PS5 version.

To note, its a port to begin with, with further patches and optimizations surely coming along anytime soon. You cant just make general claims based on day one ports native to another platform, regarding how a certain GPU comapres to another one.

IGN is losing grip because of their sloppy 'analysis'.
Yeah dude let’s NOT use matched cpus in what’s supposed to be a gpu benchmark nah let’s have 1 gpu with a cpu 3x the power of the other cpu and it not be a cpu benchmark

Lets be honest, if DLSS 2.0 is present and you have an Nvidia RTX2070 you're going to use it.

In which case the RTX2070 smacks the PS5 around in terms of frame rate at 1440p and 4k.
I actually saw benches and even with dlss quality it’s still worse than the ps5 you have to go to performance or lower to get higher frames

So for Requiem, the ran at 60+ FPS almost the entirety of the time UP until I came to some kind of arena. In this area, rats kill the CPU bound performance hugely (nearly 2.5x times performance drop)

I wonder how common this situation is throughout the game? If it is common enough, it would explain the reason they locked the consoles to 30/40. If it is more rare, then it is just overprovisioning. I could've added a couple more percent FPS by going full 4-4.1 GHz. I made a cross comparison with a 3700x user and I seem to have the same performance they have (probably due to me having a 3466 MHz CL14 kit with tight timings)

qc95kAo.jpg

EdgXwce.jpg

Considering a 5800x3D is around %35-50 faster than 3700x, even that would not be enough to push a "rock solid" 60 FPS in this specific scene, I guess.

Interior rat scenes run fine.

rmhBSGK.jpg
A 5800x 3D is 2.5x a 3700x

In the Naughty Dog blog post where they basically talk about how they're becoming a multiplatform studio (my interpretation), there's an interesting part about them utilizing a "safety valve" in Uncharted Collection for older hardware to deal with assets not being loaded in on time

We also needed to account for the variability of PC hardware as it pertains to data loading, and so we reworked our engine to add a "safety valve" of sorts to ensure a smooth gameplay experience across various PC specs. This isn’t something we’ve had to worry about since the Jak and Daxter days, when we added an animation of Jak stumbling if data was loading in too slowly.

I wonder what this translates to in the game? Maybe the character or vehicle movement slows down automatically to give it more time to load in assets or something?

Ok, so I've been playing the Uncharted Collection for a few hours now, and... this port is pretty damn awesome. Smooth as butter for me.. although I have seen a couple graphical glitches that need patching... but other than that.. damn I'm really impressed. I feel a lot more confident about Iron Galaxy now.

Seriously, I've capped my FPS at 148 (160hz monitor) and I the FPS just doesn't drop at my monitors native resolution (3840x2160) haha.. this 4090 is just dumb.

The ONE thing I will say, is that running at FPS so high, and having it run so smoothly, makes the video transitions they use stick out a bit. The game uses small video transitions to do a fancy effect similar to Star Wars and they're, as far as I can tell, just 60fps.. which makes it just slightly noticeable.

I wish they'd redo them all at like 200fps lol

Anyway, I'm very happy with this port so far.. although it still is very early.

Yeah, review sites should really use the Zen3-based PS5 to compare with, it's only fair. 🙄

And for the love of God please learn to multiquote.
What’s the point of fair? I could see if the most common PC setup was a zen+ and a OC’d 2070.

But who uses console performance as a PC design goal? And who would do it with 2 year old parts? I’m sure somebody did but not enough to make the comparison more than just an academic exercise.

I rather see how the PS5 and XSX performs against modern PCs. What a $500 console buys you versus the low to middle range of today and tomorrow. That’s an actual value proposition not confirmation of what we all know. That a PC from 2018 with console like performance will not age well against a XSX or a PS5.

God forbid if 3 or 4 years from now when we are on the RTX 6060 and the RX 8700 and everybody still wants to see how the PS5 fares against a PC that will be 6 or 7 years old by then. LOL

Last edited:
Back