Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Ok, perhaps the 'sparkling' I see isn't wholly restricted to DLSS sharpening. A number of people noted this on the ResetEra thread, where there's apparently some kind of disocclusion issue - parts of the buildings will show intermittent white flashes as you approach/round corners like they're not being draw in quickly enough.

NNEZrAk.png

Made a video. Normal speed, then repeated at half. Pay attention to the sides of skyscrapers.

Also, my stuttering is back. Oh well!

Ok, perhaps the 'sparkling' I see isn't wholly restricted to DLSS sharpening. A number of people noted this on the ResetEra thread, where there's apparently some kind of disocclusion issue - parts of the buildings will show intermittent white flashes as you approach/round corners like they're not being draw in quickly enough.

Made a video. Normal speed, then repeated at half. Pay attention to the sides of skyscrapers.

Yes. Noticed that myself.

And yes, with RT on I also get that periodic stutter. Doesn't happen without it.

I hope you're providing feedback to Insomniac and Nixxes through the proper channels.

NNEZrAk.png

Oh wow thats really obvious and I'm watching on a phone! I can't imagine that having got past quality control or @Dictator. I wonder if it's a system / setup issue that only applies to a subset of PC's? I assume you're on the latest drivers?

EDIT: Although if Remji has seen it too I assume it must be quite common. How have we not seen more mention of this?

Maybe most people are not nitpicking on everything like the average person on this board does? :D

I really like analysis videos, including DF, but when you have to slow something down and zoom in 100, 200 or 300% then point arrows of circle it to show a difference between two captures, I think we're definitely at the point where 99.9% of gamers are not going to notice.

I remember the days when you could switch resolutions and the difference was in yer face. Those was simpler times...

Oh wow thats really obvious and I'm watching on a phone! I can't imagine that having got past quality control or @Dictator. I wonder if it's a system / setup issue that only applies to a subset of PC's? I assume you're on the latest drivers?

EDIT: Although if Remji has seen it too I assume it must be quite common. How have we not seen more mention of this?

It's intermittent, and very brief when it occurs - it's not like you're getting flashing white streaks every time you round a corner. Screen size & framerate likely also play a part in how detectable it is. I really only picked it up after reading about it on ResetEra and just assumed before I was occasionally seeing DLSS artifacts of webbing from the zip ability as it falls to the ground (the zip ability btw also provides some rather nasty DLSS artifacts with specular highlights on the scenery at points as the speed DOF effect distorts the edge of the screen which DLSS doesn't particularly handle well).

NNEZrAk.png

I still get this on every single setting no matter what I do. I don't know how DF missed this completely and the forced oversharpening. I can get used to stuff like this but I'm sure there's many that can't distracting stuff like this.

Was too curious so obtained (cough) Spiderman RM for the PC to just compare on a technical level to the PS5 version which I've prob played through 3 times by now. This is on a i5-12400 @ 4ghz, 3060, 16GB. Latest patch. Game is installed to an Intel NVME, 1.8GB/sec, so def a middling drive but should not be a bottleneck. So a relatively modern budget (?) PC.

Config: Everything on High, except Crowd Density and Hair at Medium, and Dof at Low - the target from the outset was a solid 60 4k at DLSS Quality, but dynamic res was engaged at some points. Playing on a 60hz tv.
Whats performance of your configuration with ps5 fidelity mode settings using insomniac temporal upscaling 4k?
s2.jpg

I still get this on every single setting no matter what I do. I don't know how DF missed this completely and the forced oversharpening. I can get used to stuff like this but I'm sure there's many that can't distracting stuff like this.

Alex is doing a separate video about DLSS/IGTI/FSR in this game so it may come up there. Frankly I also wouldn't mind if such a video was also delayed a bit for the next patch, at least if there's indication that's it's coming relatively soon.

Bear in mind I have a single PC to analyze in an ad-hoc manner vs regimented analysis of several systems, and as mentioned I didn't even pick up on this artifact until someone in another forum pointed it out.

Speaking of my testing, I did grab a save so I could get to the Times Square area to test RT, and yeah...not great. My 12400F was definitely a bottleneck spiking at 80% usage with RT just on high, crowd density at 6 - could not maintain 60fps at any resolution.

Added: Video showing DLSS issues with some specular highlights when combined with the web zip function.*

*Update dropped today that reportedly has DLSS improvements, I'll test with that again.

Last edited:
Alex is doing a separate video about DLSS/IGTI/FSR in this game so it may come up there. Frankly I also wouldn't mind if such a video was also delayed a bit for the next patch, at least if there's indication that's it's coming relatively soon.

Bear in mind I have a single PC to analyze in an ad-hoc manner vs regimented analysis of several systems, and as mentioned I didn't even pick up on this artifact until someone in another forum pointed it out.

Speaking of my testing, I did grab a save so I could get to the Times Square area to test RT, and yeah...not great. My 12400F was definitely a bottleneck spiking at 80% usage with RT just on high, crowd density at 6 - could not maintain 60fps at any resolution.

Added: Video showing DLSS issues with some specular highlights when combined with the web zip function.*

*Update dropped today that reportedly has DLSS improvements, I'll test with that again.

Flappy sir, would you mind doing a compare and contrast with your 12400F running the game with hyperthreading and without (i.e. 12 threads on 6 cores vs 6 threads on 6 cores)?

I've seen stuff about threads thrashing around in HT situations for years - since back to the P4 days - and so I did a Googlio about Spiderman scaling and found this:

Marvels-Spider-Man-Remastered-CPU-benchmarks.png

I have no way of testing for this or not. But could you try and validate, or not, these results for six cores with your setup?

Speculation ahoy, but a game targeting 7 physical cores (and AFAIK a console can assign threads to cores with almost iron clad determinism) might not play nice with hyperthreaded cores and and a windows scheduler that doesn't know better....

Not saying it's a cause, but maybe it's a factor in some cases?

@Dictator , you have one billion stars computers at your disposal, is there any truth to this?

Flappy sir, would you mind doing a compare and contrast with your 12400F running the game with hyperthreading and without (i.e. 12 threads on 6 cores vs 6 threads on 6 cores)?

I did try that, basically to try and see if it was the cause of intermittent stuttering that I was getting. No difference in performance, if anything a little worse. All the people I've seen reporting big gains from disabling hyperthreading have had Coffee Lake or older gens, not surprisingly that's also the CPU DSOGaming has. Other sites I've seen test with more modern CPU's show an advantage for hyperthreading.

I did discover that my intermittent stuttering (non-RT related) can be solved by a full reboot. If I play some other game or just do general work on my PC before running Spiderman I can get that stuttering. Clean reboot, it's usually gone. Very weird.

Last edited:
Back