Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

I wonder what he thinks of NXG , VG tech etc.
Instead of wondering, you could just ask? Anyway, I prefer channels that give me the information and allow me to arrive at my own conclusions. I find that the channels who have a talking head often delve into speculation that they're unable to verify. DF and NXG are very guilty of this and at times, they oversimplify issues. I often find it funny how they can speak so authoritatively on a subject making assumptions they can never verify. That being said, I do enjoy DF's retro content.

Last edited:
When developers have come out and thanked DF for the work they've done and attributed pre-launch fixes to their games to DF, I don't really think he's overestimating DF's importance.

And that's only been the ones that have talked publicly about it. Not all developers will publicly disclose that information.

Regards,
SB
So we're just going to ignore the fact that development studios have QA teams that have likely highlighted these issue? DF are a small team of what, 5-6 people? This team is the most instrumental team in an industry that hires tens of thousands of employees? Common. Man, some of the rhetoric here regarding DF is akin to what you'd find from fans of sports teams. Very weird.

True. The performance differences seen in xbox vs PS2 was enormous, things equalized more and more after that. The 360 was generally seen as the more capable console, then the PS4 was the more capable machine over the One but today they are basically the same, with the XSX being somewhat more powerfull. not enough to notice it mostly.

I think 6th generation was the most interesting by far, different architectures, new (serious) players on the market (with one leaving), the graphical leaps where huge still, there were actually intresting exclusives on consoles etc etc.

I'll always love it because the dreamcast left with a bang. Being a Sega kid was great. Seeing actual magnitudes of level differences in visuals and experiences like going from rough PS1 polygonal 3D fighting games with 2D backrounds to full on game changers like soul calibur 1 and dead or alive 2 made my brain explode

I think you vastly overestimate DF’s importance in this space. I like their team and work they do but, if digital foundry were to disappear today, nothing of value would be lost. There would be others who would rise up to fill the gap as we’ve already seen.
I don't think I do. And I won't say any more than that because it's not my business to disclose. But let me know when VG Tech and Enlistabits of NXGamer have access to alpha hardware, developer tools, debug builds, hold developer interviews or are held to secrecy about the next xbox console for months on end; this gap will not be fulfilled so easily.

Why? Because these are items that require trust. And in the world of the internet, trust that a reporting outlet will represent your product honestly for you takes time to build.

They are more than just a reporting outlet; networking, communications, and jobs for IHVs and developers happen behind the scenes that viewers are not privileged to. Sometimes they are allowed to make a video about it. Other times not.

Instead of wondering, you could just ask? Anyway, I prefer channels that give me the information and allow me to arrive at my own conclusions. I find that the channels who have a talking head often delve into speculation that they're unable to verify. DF and NXG are very guilty of this and at times, they oversimplify issue. I often find it funny how they can speak so authoritatively on a subject making assumptions they can never verify. That being said, I do enjoy DF's retro content.

DF has traditionally been about platform comparisons, now that consoles are so close in capabilities/architectures and even games, they can only continue doing comparisons by diving deeper/zooming in as the differences are harder and harder to spot.
I get where you're coming from, the differences between the consoles nowadays are so small they dont matter to the average joe, but for many tech/gaming intrested like most here on b3d still want these comparisons.... It is unfortunate that content like this is used in console warring but thats unavoidable i think.

I agree that their retro content is more fun but thats because those often go back to the golden age of gaming (when gaming was more intresting, graphically and gameplay wise).

I'll always love it because the dreamcast left with a bang. Being a Sega kid was great. Seeing actual magnitudes of level differences in visuals and experiences like going from rough PS1 polygonal 3D fighting games with 2D backrounds to full on game changers like soul calibur 1 and dead or alive 2 made my brain explode

Its the general thought it seems, seeing forums, YT comments etc etc that the 6th generation was indeed one of the gamers favourites. I think PS360 was quite nice too, things kinda went downhill after that with todays being the most boring.
Being an european i never even got to see the DC, it was all PS2 back then. I remember reading about the DC in magazines, how well it ran Quake 3 and all. I feel that the Dreamcast lived on with the og Xbox somehow, many of its games made their way to the Xbox (panzer dragoon, soul calibur, sega gt, otogi, jet set radio, gunvalkyrie etc), aswell as its online gaming capabilities. Great console.

I don't think I do. And I won't say any more than that because it's not my business to disclose. But let me know when VG Tech and Enlistabits of NXGamer have access to alpha hardware, developer tools, debug builds, hold developer interviews or are held to secrecy about the next xbox console for months on end; this gap will not be fulfilled so easily.

Why? Because these are items that require trust. And in the world of the internet, trust that a reporting outlet will represent your product honestly for you takes time to build.

They are more than just a reporting outlet; networking, communications, and jobs for IHVs and developers happen behind the scenes that viewers are not privileged to. Sometimes they are allowed to make a video about it. Other times not.
Sorry but, I find this quite funny. If any other console-centric tech channel get a million plus subs, I'm sure the marketing arms of these gaming studios will want to tap into their audience. DF got this access because of their subscriber base and the way they handle their content. Nothing more nothing less. If DF had 10k subscribers, they not getting a Series X exclusive hands on along with Austin Evans.

Sorry but, I find this quite funny. If any other console-centric tech channel get a million plus subs, I'm sure the marketing arms of these gaming studios will want to tap into their audience. DF got this access because of their subscriber base and the way they handle their content. Nothing more nothing less. If DF had 10k subscribers, they wouldn't have access to any of the things you mentioned.

IF IF IF IF IF. Sounds like a broken record. Hold out your two hands and we'll fill one with IFs and the other with ... and let you find out which fills faster.

Sorry but, I find this quite funny. If any other console-centric tech channel get a million plus subs, I'm sure the marketing arms of these gaming studios will want to tap into their audience. DF got this access because of their subscriber base and the way they handle their content. Nothing more nothing less. If DF had 10k subscribers, they not getting a Series X exclusive hands on along with Austin Evans.
That comes off as handwaving of their work. Digital Foundry is the definition of tech journalism. Austin Evans is an influencer. Their requirements are significantly different and the reason for their existence so. Should the journalists at DF move onto other things, others will come into place and continue the business. Austin Evans on the other hand is the product, if he leaves, no one else will pick up the mantle to do the Austin Evan's show.

If I have been able to establish the difference then between influencers and tech journalism, the competition in the console space becomes incredibly slim, namely VG Tech, Enlistabits, and well IGN presented by NXG.
So they would be asked to fill in the gap if DF weren't here. But here's the thing what are some basic requirements for tech journalism to be considered serious? I would think written articles.
Truthfully, I do not even know if their competition even have written articles? I don't think I ever recall reading one. Conversely, we have more written articles here at B3D than and there's been no new content here since 2014.

But sure, I don't doubt that DF is being used as a marketing arm. Both companies benefit from it. And truthfully I learn much more about games through DF than watching a cinematic ad. But to say that's the only reason?
You've dropped the requirement to nothing. And if that was true, everyone would be finding the success that DF has.

But we know that's not true. It takes a lot of long hard work to do the job that DF does. A lot of work. If you even made that attempt to try it, and put yourself through the rigor of doing it correctly with analysis and written and video, and then comparisons to PC. You'd find that people go to DF because they recognize the amount of work that goes into it. There is trust in their work because they do the most work.

But perhaps that's just my opinion.

IF IF IF IF IF. Sounds like a broken record. Hold out your two hands and we'll fill one with IFs and the other with ... and let you find out which fills faster.
What a completely ridiculous response. We already know that DFs level of access is directly correlated to the size of their audience as it is for all other YouTubers and media outlets. I never imagined that I’d get gamefaqs tier responses on here but, i guess we learn something new everyday.

That comes off as handwaving of their work. Digital Foundry is the definition of tech journalism. Austin Evans is an influencer. Their requirements are significantly different and the reason for their existence so. Should the journalists at DF move onto other things, others will come into place and continue the business. Austin Evans on the other hand is the product, if he leaves, no one else will pick up the mantle to do the Austin Evan's show.

If I have been able to establish the difference then between influencers and tech journalism, the competition in the console space becomes incredibly slim, namely VG Tech, Enlistabits, and well IGN presented by NXG.
So they would be asked to fill in the gap if DF weren't here. But here's the thing what are some basic requirements for tech journalism to be considered serious? I would think written articles.
Truthfully, I do not even know if their competition even have written articles? I don't think I ever recall reading one. Conversely, we have more written articles here at B3D than and there's been no new content here since 2014.

But sure, I don't doubt that DF is being used as a marketing arm. Both companies benefit from it. And truthfully I learn much more about games through DF than watching a cinematic ad. But to say that's the only reason?
You've dropped the requirement to nothing. And if that was true, everyone would be finding the success that DF has.

But we know that's not true. It takes a lot of long hard work to do the job that DF does. A lot of work. If you even made that attempt to try it, and put yourself through the rigor of doing it correctly with analysis and written and video, and then comparisons to PC. You'd find that people go to DF because they recognize the amount of work that goes into it. There is trust in their work because they do the most work.

Two things, firstly the only thing DF is the definition of is DF. They're not the only ones who do excellent work and there are smaller youtubers who do excellent work that aren't recognized for their work. Aris from Hardware Busters is one that comes to mind.

Secondly, my intention is not to hand wave their work away but to highlight how their level of access has grown with their audience. DF didn't start creating quality content in the last 2 years but have been doing so over a decade now. People enjoy their content and their audience has grown tremendously. As a result, their access to more exclusive content has grown.

As an aside, ELAnalistaDeBits is at 500k+ subs. They'll be the next ones to make the leap if their subs continue to grow.

Didn't amd and Nvidia always have fans warring at one point. And Intel I guess.
Yes, which was also so odd to me as you should want Intel/AMD/Nvidia to be constantly one-upping each other as that would lead to lower prices for better performance - they all run the same software

It just shows how pervasive this kind of fanboy stuff has been, even when it makes even less sense than the console wars - it existed long before DF. I mean if there's any critique of DF that I might levy at them is that they can make videos that aren't as critical as I like and can veer sometimes close to advertorials, but they've never really wanted to be the channel that just does platform comparisons regardless. They want to educate on the tech involved in making games.

Two things, firstly the only thing DF is the definition of is DF. They're not the only ones who do excellent work and there are smaller youtubers who do excellent work that aren't recognized for their work. Aris from Hardware Busters is one that comes to mind.
Hardware Busters is a PC hardware review site, it has little relation to DF simply because both "cover tech", so not sure why they're being brought in here. I mean it should not be surprising that a channel like DF that has a staff covering the entire gaming industry as its focus - and much of that is consoles that will sell 150+ million in their generation - is going to garner a wider userbase than a channel helmed by one guy that's reviewing power supplies and motherboards. It's just a much, much smaller market. Would you say he deserves more success than say, Gamers Nexus? If so I might disagree on that based on what I've seen so far, but at least that comparison makes sense.
People enjoy their content and their audience has grown tremendously. As a result, their access to more exclusive content has grown.
But they changed what they were doing substantially during that time. The channels like VgTech and ElAnalista are doing what DF did a decade ago, split videos with background music and overlaid frame counters. They got bored of that pretty quickly, and with their success expanded their material significantly - developer/studio interviews, industry history, tech explanatory videos, roundtable discussions every week, etc. They also put some of that revenue into much higher production values for their videos and provided sites like their Patreon which gives you access to their videos at extremely high bitrates. They just do different things than the channels you're comparing them to, the implication that you keep making that their success is because they 'got in first' is overly simplistic, they expanded their subscriber base because they expanded their coverage.

Even platform comparison videos though often require more context than simply listing off the resolution range in the video's description and showing gameplay segments - for example, there is no doubt that Unreal Engine's shader stuttering is getting far more attention now due to Alex, approaches like VGTech's channel can't provide that kind of info.

If anything I'd say the channels that simply list off the differences of platform versions and don't provide any commentary that's often necessary to provide proper context are far more susceptible to being employed as forum war fodder.
As an aside, ELAnalistaDeBits is at 500k+ subs. They'll be the next ones to make the leap if their subs continue to grow.
Make the 'leap' to...what? They might continue to get more popular, but they will not be the next DF unless they greatly expand beyond videos with side by side framerate counters. Sorry, but that's just not exactly engaging content.

If they want to cover the industry and tech in a wider basis and have the personalities to do that, by all means go for it! But I want more than frametime counters. Like sure, "If they become DF they could be the next DF", but I want to see them actually do something beyond what they're doing to get excited at the possibility they'll be getting sneak-peeks on new hardware or developer interviews based on their subscriber count. "Access" is meaningless unless I have evidence they can actually take advantage of it.

Last edited:
So we're just going to ignore the fact that development studios have QA teams that have likely highlighted these issue? DF are a small team of what, 5-6 people? This team is the most instrumental team in an industry that hires tens of thousands of employees? Common. Man, some of the rhetoric here regarding DF is akin to what you'd find from fans of sports teams. Very weird.[/QUOT
"Companies will do what's right for the consumer regardless of outside pressure" is basically what this is saying, which might be an argument were if not for the counter of "all of recorded history".

As for "QA Teams" - lol, wut? First off you greatly overestimate the QA process that PC versions go through and the staff devoted to it, but also sometimes developers don't actually see the issues or are aware of the underlying cause. A good example is The Ascent - the devs admitted on Twitter after DF's review talking about the shader stuttering that they didn't really even have that many actual technical staff on hand at the company at all, and figured that Unreal Engine would handle all that for them. Thankfully they were able to get the assistance they needed and eventually patch in a shader precompiling stage.

Don't forget that a very large part of that is also that developers by and large trust DF's tech analysis as being roughly correct and if it isn't they reach out to DF to correct them. That's easy for them to do as well since DF confers with the developers, when able, to confirm their analysis of the videos. Granted that's not always possible, but I've almost never seen a developer complain much about a DF analysis of their game, where on the other hand I've heard some developers complain about NXG's analysis.

That's something that, AFAIK, no other site does or perhaps has the ability to do. That's also why DF's analysis are almost always far more accurate than any other site.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Don't forget that a very large part of that is also that developers by and large trust DF's tech analysis as being roughly correct and if it isn't they reach out to DF to correct them. That's easy for them to do as well since DF confers with the developers, when able, to confirm their analysis of the videos. Granted that's not always possible, but I've almost never seen a develop complain much about a DF analysis of their game, where on the other hand I've heard some developers complain about NXG's analysis.

That's something that, AFAIK, no other site does or has the ability to do. That's also why DF's analysis are almost always far more accurate than any other site.

Regards,
SB
Yep, and the one time that developers actually DID complain about Digital Foundry.. I think they learned a tough lesson and ensured that from that point on they changed the way they spoke about their findings and how they present that data. That's my main issue with NXGamer. He speaks matter-of-fact-ly about things he can't possibly know. I wouldn't blame a guy for making mistakes on how something is rendered, or possible bottlenecks given these guys do this primarily by studying the visuals themselves and basic frame-time analysis. There's many different ways to come to a visually similar looking image or effect.. but how they get there can be completely different. So the fact that they may not be 100% accurate isn't the issue to me personally.. Their job is to provide enough evidence to support their CLAIMS and provide an accurate representation of the experience of a game on a platform or multiple platforms. And I feel Digital Foundry has always done a great job of this.. as well as ensuring that the viewer knows when they're just guessing about things they can't possibly know. Also DF has the benefit of being more connected in the industry (I believe) so they also have a lot of data from developers themselves to back up their information. I'm sure when possible they reach out to developers to clarify things they aren't fairly sure on as well. That comes from being respected, and the only way you get respect from those types of people.. is if you're good at what you do.. and present things fairly.

There's a lot of years experience backing them up.. so it's no wonder that developers often mention DF in their GDC presentations and various interviews. They're good at making educated guesses.. and they help keep some developers honest too.

Secondly, my intention is not to hand wave their work away but to highlight how their level of access has grown with their audience. DF didn't start creating quality content in the last 2 years but have been doing so over a decade now. People enjoy their content and their audience has grown tremendously. As a result, their access to more exclusive content has grown.

I mean DF does what the literal definition of Tech Journalism is.
As a job function, technology journalists write for consumers who are interested in things like smartphone, tablets, laptops and other digital products. The other part of technology journalism is enterprise technology, which talks about how businesses leverage new technologies for business gains. Technology journalists usually interview experts on various fields like mobility, analytics, cloud computing, open source, etc. and share insights with their audience.
This is a stark contrast to VGTech/Enlistabits etc. Not saying they don't do the work in terms of comparison videos, but there is no author or face of the work. They take data and spit it out for consumers to digest. That's fine and all, but that's not tech journalism at least in the literal sense. This is data enrichment if anything.

I don't think EnlistaBits can replace DF; who is the current face of their company? What have they said that is insightful in the past? They need to come forward and prove they understand their own data and present their findings.

I get that people get angry at DF if they present something that is in direct conflict with a conclusion that a reader has reached. But all these companies in general have a direct role to play to be overtly critical about anything and everything, which is weaponized sure, but it helps push progress forward. Some time ago people said they couldn't see a difference between 4K and 1080p. Now the difference is clear to viewers. People said they couldn't see the difference between 30 and 60 fps. Now the difference is clear. The boundaries are constantly being pushed to more frame rate, to higher resolutions, to better graphics. 8K is coming one of these days, and the next consoles will ahve enough power for native, but they'll be asked to push 8K. There's no real limit to the progression of technology and someone will undoubtedly tell me that they can't see the difference between 8K and 4K and 60 and 120fps. Today people will tell you they can't see a difference between ray traced and not. But in good time, as progress is made, will, albeit slowly. And console warriors will literally squabble over anything be damned.

The purpose of these reviews give developers a pulse of consumer demands from their purchases. If DF somehow was magically able to obtain even more metrics about the games themselves, and presented findings that a particular console was being underused/poorly optimized. There would be hell. And developers would have to step up and take advantage of the hardware because their customers demand it. That constant prodding and pushing is what helps bring progress forward for the consumers even if they can't technically see the difference.

I think what you're seeing here, is a lot of people in agreement that this is a necessary thing. That may come across as a bad thing for some folks but ultimately DF does this well. It has been more loose around the numbers lately because it's becoming increasingly harder to lock down differences. All good things. But that doesn't mean things can't get better. Progress may no longer jump by 30-50% as it did in the past. And if a 400% zoom is required to showcase issues with VRS, then so be it. It just keeps developers honest on how far these review companies are willing to go to showcase what is happening here. We are pushing for a lossless target, but understand must operate in the realm of loss for the sake of performance. And that is something all consumers should be pushing for. And if someone doesn't shed light on these things, and to present the findings respectfully, then developers will not have feedback from us on what else could be improved.

The largest difference between video games and regular board games really comes down to.. well graphics. Sadly but truthfully. Graphics and audio, in general: interactivity, is the definition of what separates physical games and video games. And that's why we see so much marketing around graphics and presenting games as being a better game because it's got better graphics. That's the selling point behind the entire video game industry - otherwise they should just focus on bringing board games to PC since it's simpler to program.

Here's the thing, audio is by far the least covered aspect in video games, though from a feature perspective is one of the most important. We stopped caring about audio because we could had no way to capture and present it's data usefully to push the boundaries of audio further. The audio tech industry was booming at one point in time, with Gravis, Aureal, SoundBlaster, etc. We had ray traced reflected audio a long time ago, big audio cards for it. And then suddenly the whole industry collapsed. Look at this beauty
A3D uses a subset of the actual in-game 3D world data to accurately model the location of both direct (A3Dspace) and reflected (A3Dverb) sound streams (A3D 2.0 can perform up to 60 first-order reflections). EAX 1.0, the competing technology at the time promoted by Creative Labs, simulated the environment with an adjustable reverb—it didn't calculate any actual reflections off the 3D surfaces.

So I disagree with your position. If there was as much console warring over audio as there are graphics, perhaps that industry would be alive and well today, and we'd be enjoying some pretty amazing audio. But now we don't, and audio in games sucks, because people felt audio in the games today was 'good enough'. Music, honestly, is only okay today. I actually think a long time ago music and audio way far ahead much better than we have today. When we stopped reporting on audio, so too did game companies stop caring about it. And now we're left with 'good enough'. Without knowing what is great, you'll never ask yourself what you're missing out on.

I think DF does it with the most amount of respect limiting the console fodder. You may view it as evil, but should you, view it as a necessary evil then.

Last edited:
Just a few things I wanted to quickly touch on.

The largest difference between video games and regular board games really comes down to.. well graphics. Sadly but truthfully. Graphics and audio, in general: interactivity, is the definition of what separates physical games and video games. And that's why we see so much marketing around graphics and presenting games as being a better game because it's got better graphics. That's the selling point behind the entire video game industry - otherwise they should just focus on bringing board games to PC since it's simpler to program.

In addition to that, Video Games are more popular than Board Games because it doesn't necessarily require more than 1 player. You don't need more people in order to present competition or arbitrate rules.

Here's the thing, audio is by far the least covered aspect in video games, though from a feature perspective is one of the most important. We stopped caring about audio because we could had no way to capture and present it's data usefully to push the boundaries of audio further. The audio tech industry was booming at one point in time, with Gravis, Aureal, SoundBlaster, etc. We had ray traced reflected audio a long time ago, big audio cards for it. And then suddenly the whole industry collapsed.

Agreed fully. I had high hopes for audio this generation but only a very few games have really done much with the enhanced audio hardware available. And while those are amazingly well done, the rest of the field hasn't really done much and their audio is far less engaging and as an extension their worlds feel far more hollow than the games that have put in a lot of effort into their audio.

Perhaps, as you said, it's because there are no tech. journalists that go into the audio in as much detail as they do 3D because it's inherently a harder thing to quantify combined with the fact that most game developers just don't really put as much effort into it as they could because it's hard to sell a game based on Audio which isn't easily captured in a screenshot (god I hate screenshots sometimes) compared to 3D rendering even if really good audio is just as important as 3D rendering in motion (did I mention I hate still shots that aren't representative? :p).

That can be just as difficult to show in a video as well due to video compression and for audio due to difficulty presenting rich multi-channel positional audio on the usual video site suspects.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Its the general thought it seems, seeing forums, YT comments etc etc that the 6th generation was indeed one of the gamers favourites. I think PS360 was quite nice too, things kinda went downhill after that with todays being the most boring.
Being an european i never even got to see the DC, it was all PS2 back then. I remember reading about the DC in magazines, how well it ran Quake 3 and all. I feel that the Dreamcast lived on with the og Xbox somehow, many of its games made their way to the Xbox (panzer dragoon, soul calibur, sega gt, otogi, jet set radio, gunvalkyrie etc), aswell as its online gaming capabilities. Great console.

Agreed so hard. I owned an og Xbox and the fact that shenmue 2, dead or alive 3, doa 2 ultimate, ninja gaiden and such were on there in addition to Xboxs library made it really seem like a continuation somehow of Dreamcast in a way. Even now the soul calibur 1 port to Xbox live arcade on 360 is the only way to play that game on modern platform which is a shame

Soul Calibur was the game that made me buy the DC.
I had bought it again on android, but they removed it from the store since, and i can't redownload it, a shame, it was just as good as the DC version, minus the controls of course.

EDIT: seems that with some search it's still available for download if you owned it.

Last edited:
Back