Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

You don't find it impressive that an entire console that consumes less power than just a PC GPU of comparable performance, not to mention the rest of the system that is required to run any content? And not just a little more power efficient but multiple times more power efficient.

Architecturally it's just the cherry on top that it is also more power efficient than another hardware design that operates in a similar performance envelope with similar design goals (low power living room gaming). This is not to take anything away from the PS5, as the PS5 is also a remarkable design as it too is massively more power efficient than a PC capable of running equivalent settings in a game.

Regards,
SB
As per his quote, it's lower on the power curve. Which is exactly why it uses less power. All the PC parts are being pushed much harder with higher clocks. The amount of voltage is cubic with respect to clockspeed. Which is why even a drop of 100Mhz-300Mhz can result in massive power savings.

As per his quote, it's lower on the power curve. Which is exactly why it uses less power. All the PC parts are being pushed much harder with higher clocks. The amount of voltage is cubic with respect to clockspeed. Which is why even a drop of 100Mhz-300Mhz can result in massive power savings.
I think the point @Silent_Buddha is getting at using the steam deck, for example, comparatively, it is just as powerful as OG Xbox One but draws less than 25W of power. Obviously, they are both on different nodes and several years apart in terms of technology. Still impressive for a small bit of kit.

That being said, I am of the opinion that the Series S could have been pushed more, with lots of headroom for a higher power.

You don't find it impressive that an entire console that consumes less power than just a PC GPU of comparable performance, not to mention the rest of the system that is required to run any content? And not just a little more power efficient but multiple times more power efficient.

Architecturally it's just the cherry on top that it is also more power efficient than another hardware design that operates in a similar performance envelope with similar design goals (low power living room gaming). This is not to take anything away from the PS5, as the PS5 is also a remarkable design as it too is massively more power efficient than a PC capable of running equivalent settings in a game.

Regards,
SB
The pc gpus are pushed way past their efficiency window and they have better cpus in general. If you buy an intel nuc with a 45 watt cpu and cram an undervolted 3060 into it, there’s a pc in a similar wattage range with similar performance.

I don’t know but for me, it’s just kind of expected. Consoles use mobile cpus that are worse than their pc counterparts and gpus that are worse than their pc counterparts. In the end, using less power is not a surprise.

The pc gpus are pushed way past their efficiency window and they have better cpus in general. If you buy an intel nuc with a 45 watt cpu and cram an undervolted 3060 into it, there’s a pc in a similar wattage range with similar performance.

I don’t know but for me, it’s just kind of expected. Consoles use mobile cpus that are worse than their pc counterparts and gpus that are worse than their pc counterparts. In the end, using less power is not a surprise.

Uh, the RTX 3060 just by itself basically consumes as much as the entire XBS-X. :p

EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC Review - Power Consumption | TechPowerUp

Now add to that the 45 watt Intel CPU, CPU cooler, RAM, SSD, etc.

Regards,
SB

Maybe compare the xss (or xsx/ps5) to a gaming laptop, a 5800h/3080/32gb/nvme is arguably more capable yet with around the same power draw if not less? And thats with a screen etc aswell.

Maybe compare the xss (or xsx/ps5) to a gaming laptop, a 5800h/3080/32gb/nvme is arguably more capable yet with around the same power draw if not less? And thats with a screen etc aswell.

A laptop with a mobile 3080 GPU in an older game like The Witcher 3 averages 189 watts powerdraw with high power draw of 297 watts. Without using the laptop display (external display with laptop display off) it averages 180 watts with a high power draw of 244 watts. Better, but still not in XBS-X territory where it can be difficult to find a game where the XBS-X will have a high power draw over 200 watts.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU vs NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (notebookcheck.net)

A laptop with a mobile 3070 improves on that ever so slightly but is still notably higher than the XBS-X.

Regards,
SB

A laptop with a mobile 3080 GPU in an older game like The Witcher 3 averages 189 watts powerdraw with high power draw of 297 watts. Without using the laptop display (external display with laptop display off) it averages 180 watts with a high power draw of 244 watts. Better, but still not in XBS-X territory where it can be difficult to find a game where the XBS-X will have a high power draw over 200 watts.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU vs NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (notebookcheck.net)

A laptop with a mobile 3070 improves on that ever so slightly but is still notably higher than the XBS-X.

Regards,
SB

Indeed, but thats alot closer in efficiency atleast, for arguably more performance (the mobile zen3 is going to offer more performance, and the 3080 aswell in special considering RT). Desktop machines are awfully worse at this, but offer much higher performance, ofcourse.
Laptops just fare much better in this regard.

Super excited for this. I wonder if they fixed the latency issue.
When Minecraft RTX came out on PC, I had a vanilla RTX2060. It was lower than 30fps without DLSS on at 1080p IIRC. I now have an RTX2070 Super. I just booted it up again, and bear in mind when I had the 2060 RT was only in the beta fork, and it still run pretty poorly without upscaling. The thing is, in the beta, the options were nVidia branded I think. So "Upscaling" was DLSS. Now, it's upscaling. Does it work the same on AMD cards? Anyway I get about 35fps at 1440p with the lowest setting (8) for RT render chunks. It basically doubles with upscaling. I'll be interested to see how the Series versions perform, and what the upscaling looks like.

When Minecraft RTX came out on PC, I had a vanilla RTX2060. It was lower than 30fps without DLSS on at 1080p IIRC. I now have an RTX2070 Super. I just booted it up again, and bear in mind when I had the 2060 RT was only in the beta fork, and it still run pretty poorly without upscaling. The thing is, in the beta, the options were nVidia branded I think. So "Upscaling" was DLSS. Now, it's upscaling. Does it work the same on AMD cards? Anyway I get about 35fps at 1440p with the lowest setting (8) for RT render chunks. It basically doubles with upscaling. I'll be interested to see how the Series versions perform, and what the upscaling looks like.

WRT upscaling I wonder if Mojang might be implementing FSR 2.0 into the title for the series consoles? The timing of the XBS Minecraft RT BETA and AMD's announcement of FSR 2.0 along with Microsoft saying that it will be included in the Xbox SDK might just be a coincidence, but maybe it isn't.

Regards,
SB

They probably adjust the RT (custom) settings for the xsx and xss. Its a ten year old game but can look quite nice with RT.

The option has been available to playstation 4, you cant enable it.

Last edited:
I've not played Minecraft for a good while and never on console.

How was the RT? Were there are obvious reasons why they might have removed it?
I think it's a multiplayer aspect.. or the lighting may change game mechanics making it not feasible in MP.

It works as a demo, I think with more polish it would run smoother. But the demo may no cover all use cases.

Back