CryENGINE 3

That's a pretty dubious comparison and conclusion considering the rendering output is handicapped by bugged features. When you're not running any complex shaders you can do a lot of things.

Shading is one of the most taxing parts of Crysis rendering. Most is missing in that video along with AI and mission assets. It's just a heavily crippled shell but interesting neverthless.
Oh, this doesn't have any shaders? From the little description i thought that only non graphics related code was bugged and since the video quality was low i just assumed they were all there XD

My bad then, but still impressive memory wise giving the memory requirements the game had on pc...

The shaders are pretty bugged, which is probably from the Crysis map expecting uber shader, which they switched away from for CE3.

The Cryengine 3 SDK will be freely available this summer (not just the Crysis 2 sandbox editor):
http://www.crymod.com/
First of all, we will be launching an Editor for Crysis 2 early in summer. This will allow you to build new maps, items and more custom content for Crysis 2. For teams looking for even more creative freedom, we have another option: The free CRYENGINE SDK.
Be Free
In August 2011 we will be launching a free CryENGINE SDK. If you want to use it for fun, like all our previous MOD SDKs it will be completely free of charge, to anyone who wants to play with it! You just register, download the SDK with a personalized license key and you're good to go!
Be Creative
We'll be giving you access to the latest, greatest version of CryENGINE 3 - the same engine we use internally, the same engine we give to our licensees, the same engine that powers Crysis 2.
This will be a complete version of our engine, including C++ code access, our content exporters (including our LiveCreate real-time pipeline), shader code, game sample code from Crysis 2, script samples, new improved Flowgraph and a whole host of great asset examples, which will allow teams to build complete games from scratch for PC.

Some very nice projects already:
scifi_03.jpg

From one of Crytek's artists. Shows what they can do when they have the creative freedom.

http://www.simonfuchs.net/folio/project06.htm

Ugh, they can do Doom 3 lookalikes/bog standard looking stuff? Freedom not that useful there IMO...

Back