CryENGINE 3

Why would it look any different? There's nothing in that scene that couldn't be done in CE3. Many Crysis 2 interiors looked far superior to that.

Lighting mostly. CE2 had harsh performance problems with the amount of lights. That and flat ambient lighting. Environment probes make a huge difference.

HDR is also much better in CE3.

Lighting mostly. CE2 had harsh performance problems with the amount of lights. That and flat ambient lighting. Environment probes make a huge difference.

HDR is also much better in CE3.

I still see nothing in that scene that isn't far exceeded by the underground mine levels in Crysis (which are the closest point of comparison).

The only thing the mine levels had over this was the volumetric shadowing.

I guess we'll have to just disagree on that then. IMO pretty much everything about the mine levels in Crysis beat that shot into pulp. The lighting, shadows, geometry, effects (mainly smoke).

Here are a few shots from the Carrier level in Crysis which are comparable in style to the shot above but far superior IMO.

00038.jpg

00048.jpg

00033.jpg

I guess we'll have to just disagree on that then. IMO pretty much everything about the mine levels in Crysis beat that shot into pulp. The lighting, shadows, geometry, effects (mainly smoke).

qft,
imo, compared to the carrier shots, the 'mod'-shot looks like something out of Unreal Tournament 2003. :LOL:

IMHO, we need videos (and framerate analyses) to really really get a feel for anything.

And that's problematic because of PC's variable hardware.

Those shots show very well what I'm talking about. Lighting is much flatter, you can see they cheat too to save on the amount of them on screen at once. Reflections wise it's no contest. Basic specular with no cubemaps in the CE2 shot make everything look like cheap plastic. IBL in CE3 gives much better results. Also the soft shadows look more natural.

I vote for the Crysis Carrier shots over the CE3 mod. I would love to see the carrier remade in CE3.

No... it was the very last level in Crysis 1... and if you disabled streaming via the console, that level easily crossed the 4GB limit, when played on Ultra Settings.

DOOM 3 on my PC looks better then that...

Don't be stupid...

Also can we please stop ratting on the efforts of an individual modder & comparing his work to the output of an entire professional art team...

It's just insulting IMO, especially when over half the arguments against it don't seem to be dealing with the quality of the tech directly but the style of the artwork on display...

Don't be stupid...

Also can we please stop ratting on the efforts of an individual modder & comparing his work to the output of an entire professional art team...

It's just insulting IMO, especially when over half the arguments against it don't seem to be dealing with the quality of the tech directly but the style of the artwork on display...

Agreed.

Wasn't sure where to post this but there was a new comment about CE3 running on target platforms.

No need to build CryEngine 4', Crytek executive claims
A group of unnamed developers are specifically working on next-generation game projects with CryEngine 3, according to the tech’s vendor Crytek.

CryEngine business executive Carl Jones said studios “are already using CryEngine 3 for games with target platforms significantly higher in power than the current-gen consoles”.
Develop understands that a range of studios are currently building titles for Microsoft’s successor to the Xbox 360. In some cases, dev houses have spent more than a year on various projects.

Several internal Sony studios, meanwhile, have begun early work on PlayStation 4 projects. However there is little evidence that third-party companies have access to the future console.
In October, Develop published a report drawn from a range of sources within the middleware sector that pointed to an E3 2013 unveiling of the so-called Xbox 720. Since then it had been rumoured, and subsequently denied, that Microsoft will reveal the system this July in Los Angeles.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/39791/CryEngine-devs-turn-to-next-gen-target-systems

Back