Crimson Skies - Incompatible w/ Newer VidCards. Requesting Tech Info - So I Can Fix!

nVidia has problems with old games...
MGS1 don't work in D3D mode because nVidia driver hasn't more support for 8 bit palletized textures...

[]s

PS: Sorry for my bad english

Fixed for me at least

I have a nvidia 7300GT and was having the same problem, i went into 3d settings and changed negative LOD bias from clamp to allow and this fixed the problem. don't know if it will work for others though

Hello Fat Rat.

Thanks for your response.

I did as you suggested and neither problem was resolved on my system, with my set of drivers.

It's a 7800, from EVGA.

I have received confirmation from NVIDIA that the issue is with NonPowerOf2Texture DirectX flag support. Therefore it is certain that my particular problems cannot be solved by any simple driver-setting changes on my part.

Bigsilly, whatever you do dont give up
check out this thread on nvidia's own forums for alien vs predator
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=9382
for 2 years + 15 pages it was totally ignored by anyone even remotely connected with nvidia then 2 people joined. 1 of them kept hassling nvidia the other worked out what the problem was and came up with a fix the first guy informed nvidia about the fix and a workaround was put it the drivers. Result: Alien vs predator now works with nvidia cards...

so there is some hope

Hi Davros,

Thanks for your encouragement. Unfortunately I'm very much unlikely to find a fix myself, though with this thread I was hoping that I could gain the cooperation of someone with a better technical understanding of the issue than myself. I'm still in touch with NVIDIA, but if this issue is to follow the same manner of progress as did the issue with AvP, then I'm still lacking the condition of having found a solution myself.

I don't know if you were joking, but they no longer exist, having been dissolved by Microsoft some years ago.

I have a nvidia 7300GT and was having the same problem, i went into 3d settings and changed negative LOD bias from clamp to allow and this fixed the problem. don't know if it will work for others though

Hey Fatman i have same card as yourself 7300 gt and i also have this problem. Done what u said but didnt work :cry:. just want to know what drivers you using or what else you might of changed in your card settings?
cheers;)

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to add that I am now having this problem too. I loved Crimson Skies, and just today reinstalled it after not having played it for a few years, and now I'm having the corrupted font issue as described in this thread (the text shows up as rainbow-colored chunky blocks). If it was only in the menus, it might be tolerable, but it also often occurs in the in-game HUD text also. I have a GeForce 8800 GTS, and have tried a couple different driver versions, but they're all fairly recent and thus exhibit the same problem. Has anyone figured anything out in the year since this thread died? TIA....

ya, i got the urge to try and replay Crimson Skies (CS) through again when i found my saitek X45 and found that my ATI HD2600XT does not support it. I have the same garbled text and crashes when I try to play. >.< anyone make any progress on finding a solution? the 'alternate pixel center' option didn't work for me. I can run fine in software mode but it looks like trash.

I followed the link to the other thread thats is posted here but it has little to do with CS so i figured i should post here.

heres the reason nvidia gave for it not working
"The reason for the corruption is because the game doesn't check correctly for the support of Nonpower of two textures. The Forceware driver now have an unlimited support for Nonpow2 textures. That means we don't export the caps NONPOW2CONDITIONAL anymore. However the game misinterprets this as we don't support Pow2 and/or nonpow2 textures.""

as i said before demirug looks like our best hope to fix it
or get nv + ati to create a profile for crimsonskies that exports the caps NONPOW2CONDITIONAL

PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED!

Take a look here, and download the fix - it works 100%:
Code:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=47481

(Don't forget to say a thank you to Timeslip ;) )

***IMPORTANT: We CS gamers are gathering here to play online!!:
Code:
http://www.reverbgaming.com/forums/index.php

This is an alternative solution for MSN Gaming Zone - with lobbies, clans etc.

Whoever is interested in playing online please visit the forums there

Hi again! For your convienience and for preservation purposes, I include here the download link for the fix:
Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/244045274/csfix2.7z

Just decompress it into your Crimson Skies folder and replace "crimson.exe" with the fixed one!

P.S.: This is Timeslip's great work, not mine ;)

It's interesting reading about peoples' enthusiasm for this game. My friends and I played the crap out this game back in the Xbox days and we loved every minute of the multiplayer meyhem. I have no idea why this game wasn't more popular. It's a shame.

Back