Crimson Skies - Incompatible w/ Newer VidCards. Requesting Tech Info - So I Can Fix!

bigsilly

Newcomer
Hello!

I played Crimson Skies religiously back in 2002, and recently picked up the game again in an attempt to once more play it.

I was frustrated to discover that, due to NVIDIA's series 6XXX cards and higher lacking support for textures that are not in multiples of 2, Crimson Skies' text is garbled and illegible, and additionally the game will crash after only a few minutes of play.

Adding to my dismay is the fact that Microsoft has ceased to support the game - or even to offer an online lobby for multiplayer games.

I understand that, because the problem arises from NVIDIA's drivers, it is not realistic to ask for your help on this forum to "fix" the problem.

But what I would appreciate would be for you to share your technical knowledge of this issue, so that it can be compiled and stored, and serve as a reference as I take more time to try to find out how I could fix the issue.

While I would ideally like to compile as much information on the technical incompatibility as is possible, so that perhaps someday a programmer may be able to fix the issue directly, I do realize that perhaps in the end I will have no alternative but to go through the game's texture files and increase all of their texture resolutions to a factor of 2 through Photoshop. And so any information that you can offer in aid to this undertaking would be most helpful. But this endeavour would require that you lot point me towards resources that will explain:

1) How to open the ZDB files in which the Textures are Contained (I've tried WinRAR, no luck. Maybe you can download the demo and experiment?)
2) How to increase the resolution of these textures WITHOUT resulting in misaligned textures within the game.

If I could simply find how to do these two things, then I would have no problem sacrificing my freetime to go through the textures and fix them, and then arranging for hosting so that other fans of the game could also use them to play once again. My professional career has me using Photoshop much of the time, so the working of the program are well-known to me and I would not need to ask any further help (unless the Crimson Skies textures require output into a format I am unfamiliar with; then I would need perhaps a little guidance to documentation or utilities that would help me understand how to export in a compatible format.) I simply lack technical knowledge of how to get in at these files and render them in a state that will not cause further incompatibilities.

In searching, I did find some time ago a forum thread on the internet in which much technical detail was given about the issue, including correspondence between an end-user and NVIDIA support, in which they listed the specific DirectX texture flag that was causing the incompatibility. Unfortunately I assumed that this site would be saved in my history, and Internet Explorer did not do this, so I have since lost this website and am not finding it again through Google or Yahoo. But if any of you have the luck to know of this thread, then it would be a great start for compiling information. Of course, however, I am not asking you to search the internet for me; I already have much of that information. Moreso, I am asking for your own interpretation of this problem, according to your own technical knowledge.

Thank you again!

I forgot to mention:

These issues with the game CAN, I know, be overcome by running in "Software Rendering" mode...but that of course leads to a maximum resolution of 640-480, and the game's effects are either disabled or degraded severely. For this reason, I do not consider Software Rendering to be a legitimate solution.

Why don't the vidcard driver rescale non-power of two textures so they fulfil the sizing requirements? ...Incomprehensible!

Peace.

Hi Rainbow! Thanks for your response!

Yes, I know - you'd think that between companies the sizes of Microsoft and NVIDIA, one or the other would be able to think up some simple solution to this unnecessary problem. I'm particularly disappointed that Microsoft has abandoned the program, since the sequel(s) to the PC game are quite popular on XBox and Xbox360, and (will) continue to bring in revenue for them.

In any case, I would not mind editing the textures myself, but I just can't understand how to get into these ZBD files... I think they were also used in the game Mechwarrior 3, so maybe if there are mod tools for that game, they would work to do this too... I'll look!

I'd try renaming it to ZIP, RAR or such. Often those files are just simple archives, though I don't know if that's the case here.

Hi again,

I checked over in the Mechwarrior 3 community, and on the website of an unpacker utility called "Dragon Unpacker."

On the Mechwarrior 3 community forum, you have the administration saying alternatingly that it's impossible to open/edit ZBD files -- and also that it's due to the editing of ZBD files that cheats for that game function. So while there is some small promise on that route, it seems like any tools would be extremely difficult to find. There is mention of one fellow who devised a utility to extract the ZBD's, who was subsequently sued by Microsoft and had to stop offering it. But with the way the internet works, if it was ever released, it still must be available - but I can't find the name of the utility, unfortunately, and so cannot search for it.

The Dragon Unpacker utility's website states that, "ZBD is a very peculiar format, and I do not think that there will be support for it." The last update to the Dragon Unpacker utility was in 2003, so obviously there's not much to explore in regards to that specific utility. However, if one programmer even examined the possibility, perhaps there are others out there who made further progress. So far my searches have been unavailing.

Hi Hoom,

Well, that is one solution, but it would require me spending money I haven't got at the moment. Not to mention, about half of all users probably use an NVIDIA card, and so the solution that you offer is not something that can be offered to people in general in order for them to (re)discover this game. Once I have the money to spend on a card, though, I will ask those with the newest ATI card at that time to test the game and see if it works. If it does, I'm likely to make the switch then, provided that ATI still maintains a lead in image quality (to offset its lagging behind in terms of speed.)

Ideally, I'd like to be able to present a solution to everybody - so that regardless of what card they have, they could employ the fix and play the game.

Thanks, everyone, for responding!

I forgot to mention, _xxx_ --

I tried your idea using every compression extension I know of, and none made any difference. Thanks for the suggestion though!

ps: 8800 doesnt like crimson skies either

are you sure its a non power of 2 issue? nvidia supports non power of 2 textures
i think its a font problem there are 2 pcx files (maybe not pcx but similar) if you open both up in paintshop pro 1 of them is garbled maybe ungarbling it and resaving it will help

Crimson Skies plays fine on my pc, but the text is unreadable like you say.

Opty 170, X1950XT, 2 gigs of ram.

Hello Micron -

Does changing the ATI setting, "Alternate Pixel Centre" fix it?

Hello Davros -

It is a little more complicated than that, but unfortunately I cannot find the website that had further information. Apparently there is a DirectX flag that relates to what texture support a program wants to access. The newer NVIDIA cards do not have this flag, but instead a new flag that has superceded it. Because of this, certain older programs will have their non-power-of-2 textures corrupt and destabilize the Direct3D.

I would think it was limited to a font problem, except that also there are crashes caused after a few minutes of play. But I will still look at these files you mention, if I can find them, and see what I can do.

Thank you!

Hello,

I have examined the files:

arial8.tga
and
font.tga

in the folder:
Crimson Skies\GOSDATA\ASSETS\GRAPHICS

They display ungarbled in Photoshop CS2 on my system.

The resolution of aria8 is 256x256, and the resolution of fonta is 128x128.

Neither particularly resemble the fonts that are garbled ingame (using their software-mode rendering as a comparison,) and so I think perhaps these are not related to the problem. I will edit them and look for a difference ingame to see.

After editing both font files mentioned in my previous post, and then running the game and looking for alterations in the displayed text, I can state conclusively that neither relate to the garbled text in-game.

Does it help at all if you run the game in compatibility mode? (Ie: right-clicking the game's exe, selecting properties, compatiblity tab, switching to an older OS than the one you use.)

I've never been able to fix problems that way, but I hear some have had success doing so.

Maybe all you can do if this is unsuccessful is declare crimson skies an unfortunate victim of technological 'progress' and try to move on. :cry:

Perhaps buy an xbox and try to learn playing the game with a joypad?

Peace.

Might sound a bit stupid, but how about getting an old GFFX or R300 or so and some old drivers for that game? Shouldn't cost more than a few bucks, I think it's much easier than fixing the game to run on your current system.

Hello,

The Xbox version is an entirely different game. I've been looking at Xboxes, but I can't justify spending more than spending around $50 on one. In any case, it doesn't solve the essential problem here.
I do not want to "move on." Microsoft would be happy if I moved on, and NVIDIA would be happy if I moved on - but I like this game and I wouldn't be happy to move on. If old DOS games, Amiga games, and Apple II games can be made to work on my PC, then there must be something that I can do for a game that is only 7 years old.

_xxx_, it is not practical for me to make a second computer just for Crimson Skies.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

This DirectX wrapper that you have suggested seems to function only for DirectX8. Crimson Skies is a DirectX7 game. I will give it a try, but if it is in fact only for Directx8, it will not function. One moment please.

Back