Creating a small video game for settop DVD players

I used to author DVDs. Indeed, I did a playable demo of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire in 2001, showed it to Ian Livingstone at Eidos (who had the rights) who then did nothing with it. Then Zoo Interactive came along 18 months later, got the rights and sold millions, starting the whole interactive DVD game mini-boom.

Bottom line is that you can't do an NES style game on it. Every piece of video in your game needs to be pre-rendered, encoded to MPEG2 and stored on the disc. So every conceivable action needs to be pre-planned, created as video and encoded. Anything with sprites, polygons or whatever - not possible.

What is possible:

1. Dragon's Lair style games
2. Quiz games (basically using the menu system)

If you really, really wanted to push the envelope you could do Myst - IF you could find a way to save off progress (presumably password related). If you really, really, really wanted to push the spec to absolute breaking point, a point and click adventure along the lines of Monkey Island might be possible - but all the character movements would need to be pre-generated. Tricky.

The real difficulty here is that the DVD spec is so loosely defined, and many players don't adhere to it. Zoo Interactive's WWTBAM for example didn't work on first generation PS2s.

Doesn't BluRay have Java and full 'interactivity'? I haven't seen any BRDs with games on to know from experience.

Blu-ray Java should be capable of HD Flash style games - it's an order of magnitude more advanced than what's possible with DVD, all of which is based on exploiting the menu system. Even the Dragon's Lair style games are essentially menu-driven - just with invisible buttons!

If Blu-ray ever properly takes off, the interactive games side of things is going get quite interesting.

Back