Could it be my PSU? Or my HD?

The549

Regular
My system has been stable for over a year. Recently, I knocked my computer over twice while running ( = CLICK and then BSOD), also I recently installed an HD4850. Another BSOD I got was while playing a game, listening to a radio stream with CPU-Z open. Every now and then the audio would buzz for half a second, and this particular BSOD was related to my audio hardware, says it (integrated audio). Also, doing this type of thing, my 12v rail went down to 11.71v.

I have a Coolmax 500Watt psu, AMD 64 X2 4600, Radeon HD4850, 2 hd's, 2 DVD/CDRW, 4 80mm fans. I calculated my needed power at max on an online calculator and it told me 419 Watts for an aged PSU.
http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

I BSOD always after a HD Click, which obviously makes me think it's the HD. However, I've left my PC downloading overnight since then and it has been fine. The only bsod without a hd click was the audio, and that seemed to be a problem caused by cpuz.

I don't have another PSU to hook my GPU to, so I can't test. I did disconnect everything else except my 2 hd's and still bsod'd in a game. HD, or POS PSU?

Knocked over while running
Clicking sound

I won't rule out other root causes of problems (weak/unstable PSU as you mentioned) but your hard drive is definitely on its way out. Back up and replace ASAP.

Knocked over while running
Clicking sound

I won't rule out other root causes of problems (weak/unstable PSU as you mentioned) but your hard drive is definitely on its way out. Back up and replace ASAP.
Vista and a new HD are already on their way...

I did already back up after the first click I heard and I did just try to start it up and it didn't recognize the hd. Actually, now that I think of it the only thing I didn't back up were save games...For some reason no HD I've ever had has lasted more than 4 years, most 3. God I hate Hard drives. Ticking failure machines. I must be old now, because I'd never do a RAID 0.

Vista and a new HD are already on their way...

I did already back up after the first click I heard and I did just try to start it up and it didn't recognize the hd.

Good man.

Actually, now that I think of it the only thing I didn't back up were save games...

Been there before. Now it's the first thing I back up every time I wipe out or replace an HD :p

For some reason no HD I've ever had has lasted more than 4 years, most 3. God I hate Hard drives. Ticking failure machines.

I've had wonderfully good luck with hard drives over the years, only having 1 failure in my 15+ years of computing.

I must be old now, because I'd never do a RAID 0.

You can always run RAID 10 for the best of both worlds :D

They are too freaking expensive still!

So is replacing harddrives once a year, especially consider the time and effort needed to reload the OS, reload your apps, recover your data, et al ;)

I'm taking this from a TCO perspective :D

Yeah laugh it up.......And finally a new PSU. Antec Earthwatts 650 or something like that. $100.

Now I need a leg brace or something so it won't tip over. It's under the dining table, and I got one of those chairs with the spider legs coming out of a pillar to hold the little plastic wheels. Need to reconsider my setup.

BTW, SSD in my EEEPC has been great, not to mention inSANEly fast. I toss this little bugger around everywhere, everything is chipped, and taped. Great machine.

I have a SSD in my car now. It is great.

As for HDD reliability the one in my car died after a year, other than that I had one failure in about 15 years also so I guess I am pretty lucky.

Back